Author Topic: iTunes issues  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Wuden

• Zinc Member
Re: iTunes issues
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »
Common AH isn't the most resource demanding ap out there.

My Cpu temps don't even go up much when playing.

I wish i could play windowed so I could tell whats going on better but hell I play with Chrome, Firefox, Itunes, Picasa, Word and notepad open regularly and Can't tell the difference from just AH playing.

this Isn't Crysis .

Also I haven't found any other iTunes type music organization/player software around that is ANYWhere as polished as iTunes.

Whats even remotely close ??

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Interesting.  I can kill AppleMobileDeviceService.exe but it comes back in a minute on its own.  This is with all the other apparent Apple related processes dead.  When it restarts itself it also opens a TCP connection.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 06:08:46 AM »
thats strange, using FSAuto to kill the services and programs i mentioned earlier does it for me.

Ive heard Vista has a proper startup manager now for this kind of thing, anyone used it? The one in MacOS 9 was really useful - just reboot and select the set optimised for what you wanted to do (I had gaming, design, web server and general set up and ready to go.)

PS skuzzy agreed there, I wouldnt run a proper server on any MS OS, but even your stock XP install has 3 server processes running. enable remote desktop access, file and printer sharing, uPNP etc and you'll have a whole bunch of servers (listening ports) running on a machine which is generally regarded as a client rather than a server.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
It should not be running as a listener, unless it is serving up files from your computer, in which case, it has no business running all the time, and certainly will randomly affect a game connection due to bandwidth usage.  If it never serves up a file from your computer, then it has absolutely no business running as a listener.  As a listener, it will respond to every script kiddy polling ports from the Internet.

If it was written properly, it would not have all those background processes running all the time, especially as a listener.

Why the heck does it have to have all those processes running all the time?  IT DOESN'T!!!  Why is that concept so hard to grasp?  Why would anyone want to defend it?  Can any of you actually answer the question without speculating?

"Oh yeah, it's cool.  It is using up resources in my computer even when I do not want it running, but whatever.  It's like the best thing since sliced bread.  Ya know?  What else can steal resources from my computer when I do not want it to?  Cool huh?"

I'll never get passed that mentality.  It makes absolutely no sense to me.  Would you like it if someone attached to your car on the freeway so they could use your gas?

Why people do not care about how invasive some programs are is beyond me.  Maybe you like people coming into your home and using your television so they do not have to use thiers.  I just do not get it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:33:12 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »
oh I care - I'm personally responsible to the Financial Services Authority for the network I administer under a wide range of legislation from Data Protection Act to Financial Services Act. I screw up and I can go to jail, not just receive a bunch of irate phone calls and emails :uhoh

theres nothing shady going on here, the processes and listening ports are all there for a reason:

Apple Mobile Device:    listens for iPods, iPhones, AppleTV etc devices to be connected
Bonjour Service:    zero conf networking services discovery, for iTunes music library sharing, printer discovery etc.
iPod service:    communicates with iPod for syncing, firmware updates etc.

iTunes runs a few services because it does alot. If you dont need all that functionality and want to save the odd cpu cycle, just disable em.

I like watching TV, the fact that there is a tiny chance that someone might break into my house to steal it is not a big enough threat to stop me from owning and using a TV because I take basic precautions like locking my front door (NAT and SPI firewall) :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »
Ok, I am beating my head against a wall.

You want to take the phone calls I have to take and listen to people complain about how the game is warpy, and they are running all these programs that steal resources away.  I actually talked to one guy who had no idea what iTunes was, but it was running on his computer because the OEM thought it would be a good idea to load it on there for him.

These are the people I deal with everyday.  They do not know what all this stuff is.  They do not care what it is.  They want to play the game and not have to deal with warp jumps.  They are frustrated.  They have over 70 processes running in the background and they do not know why or what they are.  What OEM's do to computers should be criminal.

Then they come to the Tech Support forum and read about how wonderful iTunes is and they do nothing about it.  No, they would argue about it instead.  Even though they have no idea what the impact can be.  We have tested iTunes.  It does and can cause warps.  This is not speculation.

No matter what anyone says about it.  iTunes does not have to RUN 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK!  That is my beef with it.  And that also puts in the ill-behaved category.  Nothing any of you have said has made it appropriate or acceptable for this software to HAVE TO RUN ALL THE TIME.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:43:24 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 02:00:20 PM »
"Oh yeah, it's cool.  It is using up resources in my computer even when I do not want it running, but whatever.  It's like the best thing since sliced bread.  Ya know?  What else can steal resources from my computer when I do not want it to?  Cool huh?"
:rofl
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
Yeah it does.... As a rule I always go to task manager and close out ALL silly processes.  You'll notice the difference immediately

iTunes adds at least 5 new processes...

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 11:00:17 PM »
Yeah it does.... As a rule I always go to task manager and close out ALL silly processes.  You'll notice the difference immediately

going to Start/run/ type in "services.msc"  ( without the quotes ) is a heck of alot better than using task manager ( just a FYI )

it will even give you different options ( manual/disable/automatic, etc ) on what to do with a process as well as show you what that process depends on and what other process or components depends on the main/primary dependent/component.....and gives you a definition of what the process is....... research it.....this really helps cleans up a bunch of processes not needed and is easier and safer than Task Manager and MSconfig........

YMMV
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 05:15:38 AM »
And if you ever need to figure out what a certain process is, type its name (e.g. ituneshelper.exe) in google.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you