Author Topic: the Caps & Brett Leonhardt  (Read 204 times)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
the Caps & Brett Leonhardt
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
Cool... very cool for this guy. I was only attentive to it because the Caps are "my" team.  But I'm glad I read it. :)

Brett Leonhardt on Being Backup for a Night: 'Every Dream Come True'
Posted Dec 12th 2008 11:18PM by Ted Starkey (author feed)
Filed under: Capitals, NHL General

Brett Leonhardt got the ultimate fantasy camp experience in Washington Friday night, as he was called upon to back up Brent Johnson in the early stages of the Capitals' 5-1 win over Ottawa.

Leonhardt, who has worked for the Caps as a producer for the team's web site for the last year, usually fills in on occasion to tend net in practice when Johnson or Jose Theodore need a day off, but he got quite a surprise Friday afternoon when Capitals GM George McPhee told him to be ready to play.

He told the Washington Post:

"Early afternoon [General Manager] George McPhee came over to my cubicle, tapped me on the shoulder... He kind of scared me, he goes: 'Be ready,' "
With Theodore hurt, Washington called up prospect Simeon Varlamov from the Hershey Bears, their AHL affiliate, but with the Bears in Texas to play the Houston Aeros, Varlamov wasn't going to arrive at Verizon Center in time.

So, the Caps turned to Leonhardt in case something happened with Johnson, and he got the ride of a lifetime.
The Caps had to get permission from the NHL to sign the 26-year-old to an amateur tryout contract. Wearing the mask of Philadelphia's Neumann College, his Division III college team, and sporting jersey No. 80, Leonhardt warmed up with the Caps. He also got to take part in the players' pregame meeting and got to ride the pine for part of the first period. The lanky Canadian also got a warm ovation from the crowd when he was shown on the video screen while on the bench.

He told the AP:

"It was a great view. Usually I'm up here with you guys in the press box," Leonhardt said. "Mike Green started laughing his head off."

He almost got his chance to get into the game when Ottawa tried to take advantage of the Caps' situation by taking runs at Johnson. If the 6'7'' goaltender was needed in the contest, he would have tied the record as the tallest goaltender ever to play in an NHL game.

But, once Varlamov arrived, Leonhardt returned to his day job, dressing back up in a suit and tie and going back to the press box to watch the second and third periods of the contest. He was even shooting video for the Caps after the game. Unlike most nights, he had to answer questions on his own -- all for no additional compensation, but he didn't mind.

"Every dream come true," Leonhardt said. "Growing up in Canada, playing since I was 4. It was just very surreal. It was a blur, went by real quick."

A blur, maybe, but one he'll remember forever.

<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: the Caps & Brett Leonhardt
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »
Wow.........  That is certainly not an everyday occurrence.......  Lucky Brett!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »
They should left him in the game and put him in the game for the last 10 minutes as Ottawa :mad: has turned to their old loosing ways.

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »
Very cool story!  Thanks for sharing that