Author Topic: Have you improved?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Re: Have you improved?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 07:10:51 AM »
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »
My only question is why all the name changes Ink?  Geez... I started out in AirWarrior as Doc1 and came here as awDoc1 and have never changed my name but I see lots that have changed multiple times.  Why and the heck would you want to track how well you do in this cartoon world?  I mean really... I see my stats improve with more online gametime but degrade when my real life denies my time to fly online.  I really don't get your obsession with improvement in your game skills.  I fly first to be with friends and don't care about my score or lost kills and such.  My motto is that I don't care who gets a kill as long as it's one of our guys that get it.  Some folks take this game way too seriously!  Perhaps I would feel more passionately about it all if I monitored channel 200, but I don't because I really don't care that much as I don't need the grief.  Not meaning to get down on your case Ink as you are an old friend but I noticed the change when you started being more conscious of your score and such.  It ain't worth it bro! <S>

All the Best...

Jay
 awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »
Well said Doc,

We have lost guys in our squad to score obsession. 
To each his own, but you can tell when they start to go down that road of no return that they start to take on another persona for better or worse, but usually the worse.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
I checked and my kill to death before leaving was 1.3 and now it is at about 1.06.  The trend before I left was a sharp climb on kills to death.  Once I started playing here with the lad my kills to death went in the toilet again.  I am interested to see how things will be when I get back and do not have the lag/disco problems I have had.  It is very challenging to fight someone when you are reacting to their maneuvers sometimes a full second after they have moved.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
My only question is why all the name changes Ink?  Geez... I started out in AirWarrior as Doc1 and came here as awDoc1 and have never changed my name but I see lots that have changed multiple times.  Why and the heck would you want to track how well you do in this cartoon world?  I mean really... I see my stats improve with more online gametime but degrade when my real life denies my time to fly online.  I really don't get your obsession with improvement in your game skills.  I fly first to be with friends and don't care about my score or lost kills and such.  My motto is that I don't care who gets a kill as long as it's one of our guys that get it.  Some folks take this game way too seriously!  Perhaps I would feel more passionately about it all if I monitored channel 200, but I don't because I really don't care that much as I don't need the grief.  Not meaning to get down on your case Ink as you are an old friend but I noticed the change when you started being more conscious of your score and such.  It ain't worth it bro! <S>

All the Best...

Jay
 awDoc1

AHH, conscious of score? :rofl where in heck does my post say that?  If I was concerned about score, why would I fly in only fighter mode? why would I Bail from my plane if the friendlies out number the red guys? and then switch sides to fight that same hourd?  if I was so concerned about my "score"?  I don't give two chits about my "score" although I do look at my "stats" mainly my hit %, DID you not read "I wont be happy till I get my hit % to 10"? does that mean I care about score? far from it, I have never cared about my "score" YOU saw a change when I got sick of being in the biggest squad there was and basically only fought the fights we could win, and when ever a good fight started we would just go to an unoccupied base to take it,  even when we were squaddies I most often flew by myself except on squad night,  that is why you saw a change, I have not changed actually, I just had enough.
  The only thing I am concerned about is the FIGHT, killing REDGUYS, the KILL is why I am here, I am far from a "score potato" I very much enjoy making the red guy explode and know in my mind I just put my virtual "skillz" against another human, and came out on top, or gave them a heck of a fight to earn there kill. whats even better then that is making the red guy explode when he has all the numbers!!!

this is the way I have always been, and you know it! 

to say I am concerned about my score is an insult, I think you know better then this but are sore at me for quitting, so any dig you can make you will.

let me say this also, I am concerned about my "stats" it shows me where I need improvement. HIT% comes to mind, if I was so concerned about my "score" I would fly in all categories to lower my "score" but yet whats this?  :rofl I only see fighter score "stats", oh ya I am a huge "score potato"

as far as the different names go I was not happy with the ones I chose until JETSOM.

<S>      peace
Paul

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »
You cant dis bosco, dudes got the best avatar on the interwebs.
hehehe, someone stole it on me. I saw it on one of the other topics in the O'Club. I think it had to do somthing with the FSX or somthing like that.

I am serious BTW. :)
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »
I dont have to look up my scores to see how much I have improved.  I think my first month (Feb 08) I was ranked over 2000, and each month I've gotten that much better (ranked under 90 in Nov).  And remember, stats do NOT tell the whole story.  For instance, I used to bail out on a whim if I wanted a different plane or to partake in a different misison type.  Now, I take the extra 3-5 min and **land** the airplane regardless of kills, etc.  That alone helps the rank. 

My personal limprovements come via these attributes: a MUCH improved patience; a far bigger knowledge base of the aricraft; a better understanding of E and how it works for the different aircraft; a better understanding of basic defensive menouvers and a FAR better understanding of proper attack angles, and a knowledge of how to "game the game" for stats (not that I use to to my advantage, but rather so I am not disadvantaged by it.  i.e., see **landing the aircraft**).   

One doesnt have to be all that good to break the "top 100".  I have not done a legit bombing run since the first few days of the month... yet I still have a bomber rank lower than 60.  :huh  Take a look at many of the guys under the current rank of 100, many of them have few hours and have done very little, but their efficiency, etc is high.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »

AHH, conscious of score? :rofl where in heck does my post say that?  If I was concerned about score, why would I fly in only fighter mode? why would I Bail from my plane if the friendlies out number the red guys? and then switch sides to fight that same hourd?  if I was so concerned about my "score"?  I don't give two chits about my "score" although I do look at my "stats" mainly my hit %, DID you not read "I wont be happy till I get my hit % to 10"? does that mean I care about score? far from it, I have never cared about my "score" YOU saw a change when I got sick of being in the biggest squad there was and basically only fought the fights we could win, and when ever a good fight started we would just go to an unoccupied base to take it,  even when we were squaddies I most often flew by myself except on squad night,  that is why you saw a change, I have not changed actually, I just had enough.
  The only thing I am concerned about is the FIGHT, killing REDGUYS, the KILL is why I am here, I am far from a "score potato" I very much enjoy making the red guy explode and know in my mind I just put my virtual "skillz" against another human, and came out on top, or gave them a heck of a fight to earn there kill. whats even better then that is making the red guy explode when he has all the numbers!!!

this is the way I have always been, and you know it! 

to say I am concerned about my score is an insult, I think you know better then this but are sore at me for quitting, so any dig you can make you will.

let me say this also, I am concerned about my "stats" it shows me where I need improvement. HIT% comes to mind, if I was so concerned about my "score" I would fly in all categories to lower my "score" but yet whats this?  :rofl I only see fighter score "stats", oh ya I am a huge "score potato"

as far as the different names go I was not happy with the ones I chose until JETSOM.

<S>      peace
Paul

Sorry Ink, I should have inserted "stats" and not "score".  I know you are not a score potato but you do seem to be overly concerned about your "stats". hehehe

All the Best...

Jay
 awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline BushLT1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
Don't need numbers to tell me. That I sucks as bad as I did when I started. That's why Flying Circus let me tag along with them.

Bushlt <S>

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 08:29:25 PM »
Sorry Ink, I should have inserted "stats" and not "score".  I know you are not a score potato but you do seem to be overly concerned about your "stats". hehehe

All the Best...

Jay
 awDoc1

like every thing in life, that I enjoy, I want to be the best that I can be, seeings how I do have a passion for AH, well it goes doubly that I want to be as good as I can get, its all good bro :salute

Paul

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »
I don't see how anyone can do anything, be it for work or fun, and not ry to get better at it. Whats the point in not trying to improve yourself? You like wasting time and money by being cannon fodder every time you take off? May be fun for some, but its monotonous and boring to me. I spend my time in game trying to learn the best way to utilise my severely limited abilities to survive and make sure that even if I get shot to pieces, I didn't die to some stupid mistake I could have avoided or someone elses lame and unrealistic style of play.

The two things that tick me off the most in the game are when I die from doing something that I should have known better than to do (like compressing in a 38 or spinning down low in a 39) or to die from someone gaming (warping, shamelessly HOing, stickstirring, death blossoming, etc.)
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »
I have gotten much better since tour 79 i believe i started my 2 week trial. its been slow for me, as i never went to TA when i started, however, in my learning the hard way i believe that I got to learn from my mistakes more than what was tought to me. most of my learning was from me, or watching and learning from the best and squaddies. sure, after 2yrs 3 months maybe i should be a bit better than i am, but im happy with my ability.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »
 :rofl the ole "brag about your stats" thread. You silly, silly boys  :rolleyes:
Lighten up Francis

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 02:51:37 AM »
:rofl the ole "brag about your stats" thread. You silly, silly boys  :rolleyes:

ahhhh i just found out that only players with bad score didnt care about score and stats, instead of good players who like it mostly ;)

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2008, 07:46:07 AM »
ahhhh i just found out that only players with bad score didnt care about score and stats, instead of good players who like it mostly ;)

I think you've got it backward, very few good players worry about score or stats since they are easily manipulated variables with almost no correlation to a players actual level of skill. It's a lot easier to score well then it is to play well. While there are a few notable exceptions for the most part the list of top scorers does not match up all that well. What I find particularly disturbing is that some of the tactics and predispositions inherent in "scoring" apparently have crept into events like KOTH that are supposed to be entirely skill based.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson