and I was happy to see that the P39 is here

I was wondering how to fly this bird

any advice would be welcome

known as Arctic in the main

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
Re: P39
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »
Well, there are two Airacobra versions available, and both do differ a bit in thier capabillities.

The P39D is a bit underpowered and heavier as the P39Q, but it has the overall way better weapon package when taking the 20 mm option.
This bird is quite a nice turner, but lacks vertical performance and acclereation. A smooth flying style is really rewarded by this plane, and the gun package has a long reach, so you can keep the fight more "loose" and the deficites are not so appearant than they would be in a close fight.

The P39Q in the clean configuration (sans gun pods) has a much better power/weight ratio and therefore superior in turning, accleration and vertical performance. However, the gun package is difficult to master, since the 37 gets very difficult to aim at longer distances, and 2 .50s with just 400 rounds arent that effective at range too. However, in a close fight, the 37 mm is deadly, one ping and the con goes "boom". But with the increased flight perfomance, you can afford a closer fight in the Q, so that is not that much of a problem anyway. As for the wing pods, I do not recommend them. They add condiserable drag and weight, and they arent terribly effective either.

Personaly, I choose the D for furball type of engagements because of the gun package and the clean Q for more controlled enviroments, where raw power will make the difference.     

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
Both aircraft are built for low-altitude fighting and power begins to drop off substantially as altitude increases. The P-39D you don't want to go much above 10-12k and the P-39Q can get up to around 15k. However neither altitude leaves you with much power for maneuvering
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 10:52:28 AM »
any advice would be welcome

In my experience the 39 turns to the left far better than it does to the right.  Seems odd on a plane that isn't that powerful to begin with, but I've found it to be so.

- oldman