Author Topic: Upgrading graphics card, need advice please  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Upgrading graphics card, need advice please
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »
Ok, my home computer is several years old, and it is currently stuck with a NVidia GeForce FX5200, which apparently isn't too good, and is severely outdated anyway.

I'm wondering what limiting factors there are on what sort of graphics card I can get, as in Power Supply, type of port (AGP or PCI?) etc.  Could someone please tell me if I've missed any, and where/how I can find this information?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Re: Upgrading graphics card, need advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »
People will probably ask you for the computers DXDIAG..Which you get in the start RUN then type in DXDIAG and hit enter..then save to desktop,then goin and CC&P top 1/3 of it..

What type of comp do you have??

Falcon23

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »
Need to know motherboard specs and power supply specs to start.  If the system is several years old might not really be worth upgrading

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »
I'm not at home atm but I'll try and get hold of the DXDIAG.

As for the computer type, IIRC it's a Dell Dimension 8200, and I'll try and get some specs on it.

Also, if I can't get hold of a DXDIAG for whatever reason, where in windows could I look to find out about whatever limits which graphics cards I could get?

EDIT: TilDeath, I agree with what you say about the upgrading, but my parents don't see it that way sadly ;) .  What motherboard specs do you mean, and where could the power supply specs be found?
O o

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »
From what I see on Dells' site, the 8200 has a PSU has 250 watts with 10A on 12V rail.  The Motherboard has 4x PCI slots and an AGP slot.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:32:15 PM »
From what I see on Dells' site, the 8200 has a PSU has 250 watts with 10A on 12V rail.  The Motherboard has 4x PCI slots and an AGP slot.

Ok, thanks for finding that 1701  :aok

Should whatever graphics card I get have a lower power rating (probably wrong term for it) than the 250W of the PSU?

Also, with the PCI and AGP, which is better (and I've tried finding out if my current GeForce FX 5200 is AGP or PCI, but I can't find anything giving a definitive answer)?
Thanks again,
Yossarian
O o

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »
I would NOT upgrade the card.  That Power Supply only has 10amps, your close to that already with MB, DVD or CD, Hard Drive and a Video card.  Getting a new video card in my opinion would be waisting monies!  If you upgraded your power supply also then maybe.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Ok, I've been researching this thing on the internet/Google, and am slowly going crazy  :rolleyes:

If I were to go ahead with my plans, and upgrade the PSU, what would that involve?  Do I need to worry about whether the new PSU would actually physically fit inside the computer, or is there a standard size/shape for all (or most) PSUs?

I've been on the NVidia website (I've always used their products [well I've only ever had one video card, so that's sort of a given I suppose]), and I'm inclined to stick with them, but where else can I compare graphics cards in detail?

Going back to the NVidia website, they said that for a budget of $0-150, a 300 Watt power supply, and a PCI Express motherboard type (I hope that was the correct option), I could use a GeForce 8600 GT or 8500 GT.  Does anyone have any thoughts on those?

Thanks,
Yossarian
O o

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 10:02:25 PM »
IMHO, I would stick maybe $30-40 or so into a 400W power supply and then I'd shop Ebay/Craigslist for used Video cards.  Since your computer is fairly dated, I wouldn't worry about shopping high end PSU brands.  Your system is approximately 5 years old, a P4 Northwood core most likely. 

Something like a Radeon X1650 or X1800, or mid level 6000-7000 Nvidia series (7600GS maybe).  You don't want to put a high horsepower video card in your system because #1 AGP is getting quite dated #2 your old CPU will be a bottleneck and you won't get full use out of the video card = wasted money.  I wouldn't spend more than $100 or so.  I'd save your money for a new computer.

Also, I do not believe they made the Nvidia 8xxx series in AGP at all.  (They did in PCI, but those cards are designed for HTPC I think, not gaming).
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:19:04 PM »
Seeing as it's a Dell, upgrading it will probably be very difficult. In some situations they'll use "custom" parts like the case and motherboard size, meaning you may not be able to find a power supply that will fit into the case.
That's the nice thing about home-built or "barebones" computers; everything's designed to fit with everything else. You have to service it yourself or know someone like me in case something goes wrong, though. :)

When buying a power supply, make sure you get the right number of pins to the main connector. I think the 20+4 pin configuration is pretty much universal.

AGP is an outdated technology and has been forced to the wayside. You can still get better than a 5200 (IIRC the 7800 was the last mainstream card to come out in AGP) but keep in mind that's as far as she'll go.

EDIT-OT: Hey now, don't be knocking the Northwood there Fulmar. :D It smokes (or rather, doesn't smoke compared to) the Prescott since you could fry eggs on those things. My Standard-clock 3.06GHz Northwood, unlocked 6800, and 2GB of Corsair ValueRAM still plays this game at full settings all-round...cept the Ground Vis Range slider, I think.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 11:24:03 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:39:39 PM »
I retired my Northwood 2 years ago!

Actually, ATI made the 3850 in an AGP version, but that'd be a waste of horsepower on that Dell IMO.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 11:41:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm saving up for an E8600. But...still! :D

For this game, it works more than just fine. :) I've just started moving on to newer games...and even then, it's mostly the video card failing me.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »
PSU's are generally same size. Should not be a problem upgrading.

This is why so many recommend NOT BUYING a DELL, HP or COMPAQ. They build them with older technology,onboard video and sound, power suppplies that are just enough to run the computer. This makes upgrading difficult to impossible.

For the $ some spend, they can build there own rather easily. Some units are real cheap and if it is the only thing you can afford....So be it.

170, Did you get your new video card???
See Rule #6

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 12:46:58 AM »
PSU's are generally same size. Should not be a problem upgrading.

Not with Dell.  They are a different size and have a proprietary plug or at least they used to.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »
Not with Dell.  They are a different size and have a proprietary plug or at least they used to.
Agreed, I ahve seen Dell PSU's that are 4 x 4 x 4 squares.... never seen one like that from a PSU manufacturer.  YOu would need to find a Dell replacement for that particular case and MB combo.  Good luck with the age of the system.