Author Topic: CV Control  (Read 568 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
CV Control
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »
When a player takes control of a CV they have to remain in the on the CV. If they leave the CV (go to another field) they are no longer in control of it.

Anyone who is control of a CV and it is sunk they loses privileges to control a CV for a period of time. Say a minimum of 48 hours.

These ideas came from this thread
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,254449.0.html
where a player was complaining about another player who is said to have deliberately controlled the CV so it would be sunk. I have heard about this before and it can really spoil the fun for many players due to the ‘ego’ or spoiled nature of just one relatively high ranked player.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: CV Control
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
Seconded, sir!  I truelly like this idea!
Tours 86 - 296

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool if you were controlling the CV, and on it as a gunner, you could use your rudder pedals to control the TF rudders, i.e. steer the ships to avoid torps or falling bombs.  Probably not doable with the current waypoint system.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:55:02 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool if you were controlling the CV, and on it as a gunner, you could use your rudder pedals to control the TF rudders, i.e. steer the ships to avoid torps or falling bombs.  Probably not doable with the current waypoint system.

Even if you could, those ships dont turn on a dime like a 'lil 20ft runabout.  It takes time to turn those things.  Besides, it is a fleet, no just one ship.  They all turn together.

I think it is safe to say that the waypoint system is best.

Oh.. and I too agree that if you want control of the CV you need to be one of tow things: ON the ship in a gun defending or TWO be in a vehicle that launched from that CV.  There are some guys that will take control of a CV and either forget they have it until someone exclaims "TURN CV123, BUFFS INBOUND!!!", and most of the time it takes someone to call out the controller by name on country txt for them to react.  There are others that will run a CV into a SB or into a flight path of enemy buffs just to be an ass, too.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
I have been in agreement with this idea since I remember the first request for a similar feature. However I would like the restriction to go further to a point of the player in command of the TG having to remain on the bridge in order to keep control of the TG. And if that user is AFK for a set period of say, 5 minutes. The user is automatically removed from status of TG commander.

After all, captains didn't call the order to turn while gunning.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:02:25 PM »
After all, this isn't real life is it?
If you're the only one defending a CV, you wouldn't want to be ending sortie and hopping into planes/guns simultaneously.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »
On the flip side I have taken command of CVs from the other side of the map by request.  I had the rank, the previous CO was doing a poor job and ticking his local friendlies off .   I would follow up by moving local to the TG, or finding someone local who is competent to take it over.  I've also been in flight observing the map and saw something stupid being done with the TG and pulled rank.  Had I been required to exit flight, move to the TG and take command it probably would have already been dead by the time I could take it.

On the rare occation where I have finished a tour with a good rank, it was because I disagreed with TG command at some point, and did my score chores so that I could pull rank the very next day.  My opinion has always been that there is already a game mechanic to address disagreements over TG command.  Outrank the current commander, or have a friend who does.

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »
i think you should definitely make the person in comand have to be within the radar circle if not on board
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »
Seconded, sir!  I truelly like this idea!

Third it

i think you should definitely make the person in comand have to be within the radar circle if not on board

Or at least be fighting off of it or within a sector of it
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:04:04 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 07:58:06 AM »
ooops...bombs falling....give up command.

only issue I see other wise thumbs up

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »
On the flip side I have taken command of CVs from the other side of the map by request.  I had the rank, the previous CO was doing a poor job and ticking his local friendlies off .   I would follow up by moving local to the TG, or finding someone local who is competent to take it over.  I've also been in flight observing the map and saw something stupid being done with the TG and pulled rank.  Had I been required to exit flight, move to the TG and take command it probably would have already been dead by the time I could take it.

On the rare occation where I have finished a tour with a good rank, it was because I disagreed with TG command at some point, and did my score chores so that I could pull rank the very next day.  My opinion has always been that there is already a game mechanic to address disagreements over TG command.  Outrank the current commander, or have a friend who does.

LOL Only problem with that is. Ive seen some really stupid things done with a CV by some pretty high ranked players too.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »
Ranks has its privileges. No argument there.

Nevertheless if they leave the CV then they should not be able to control it. And if it sinks then their, rank which has some privileges, should be coupled with responsibility. If not then the dweebs who deliberately control CV’s so they can be sunk will continue with their behavior. 

My two cents. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
Ranks has its privileges. No argument there.

Nevertheless if they leave the CV then they should not be able to control it. And if it sinks then their, rank which has some privileges, should be coupled with responsibility. If not then the dweebs who deliberately control CV’s so they can be sunk will continue with their behavior. 

My two cents. :)

Looks better everytime I read it.  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
As long as the CV is under attack the person commanding it when it CAME under attack is responsible for it.  Set the Admiral's name with the under attack flag, eh?  Only way to give up command safely is to wait for it to NOT be under attack.

That ought to fix the "oops...bombs are in the air, time to retire" mentality.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
Saw a cv in what looked like the Bermuda Triangle; SB was point blank, cruising through the PT spawn and enemy cv was coming from the other way.