Author Topic: Hilarious "Tactic"  (Read 1981 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Hilarious "Tactic"
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:53:45 AM »
Was in MW the other night.  Don't remember the map (don't even pay attention to names) - was at fighter town - you know, the three airbases in the middle right on the edge of each others dar ring.  There were probably 12-15 guys throwing down a great furball and everyone (myself included) was having a blast.

The funny thing, though - there were 2 or 3 of the Rooks in Zekes and Spits that kept trying to sneak into the furball at 20' and then pull up into it and HO the first plane they see.  Sometimes they get lucky, picking someone who's busy TnB'ing on the deck, sometimes they get whacked right away and then try the same "tactic" again and again.

No whine here, just an observation...had to chuckle to myself each and every time I saw them coming.  Anyway, a big  :salute to everyone involved...it was a blast for over an hour, until I had to call it a night to get some much-needed sack time.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Hilarious "Tactic"
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
Those fellas don't bother me.... it's the ones that come in at 10k to fighter town. Poor guys can't fly their planes and never will be able to as long as they don't push the envelope. They say they die if they try to T&B.... well ok you get a new plane and figure out what you did wrong and go at it again. Another way to not get killed is to go watch TV.  :aok

I'm used to T&B and I get killed all the time.... you'll never improve unless you get aggressive. Last night I was all over stangs spit and Jaxxo was telling me to not get so agressive... lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »
Missed the fun last knight but Sat night was certainly a good time....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:57:37 AM »
TI'm used to T&B and I get killed all the time.... you'll never improve unless you get aggressive. Last night I was all over stangs spit and Jaxxo was telling me to not get so agressive... lol

And you know that TnB is the same thing as BnZ, but only horizontal?  :rolleyes:

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
Poor guys can't fly their planes and never will be able to as long as they don't push the envelope. They say they die if they try to T&B

I love it when people say that to me  :lol
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »
Those fellas don't bother me.... it's the ones that come in at 10k to fighter town. Poor guys can't fly their planes and never will be able to as long as they don't push the envelope. They say they die if they try to T&B.... well ok you get a new plane and figure out what you did wrong and go at it again. Another way to not get killed is to go watch TV.  :aok

I'm used to T&B and I get killed all the time.... you'll never improve unless you get aggressive. Last night I was all over stangs spit and Jaxxo was telling me to not get so agressive... lol

So you're saying the only way to play is the close-quarters circle-jerk, regardless of plane type? IMO if you're in a Zeke, Spit or Hurricane you forfeit all rights to :cry about guys not wanting to fly the way you think they should to give you easy kills. I'll be damned if I'm going to let any of those three types sucker my F4U into a close-quarters turning battle if I can help it.

I fly my plane to its strengths, fight my opponents' to their weaknesses, and plan my engagements on the situation. If that means coming in with alitude and not blowing all my E to join the conga-line in the weeds you bet your bellybutton I'll be that plane arriving at 10k (if not higher to ensure parity with the other guys with altitude).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »
So you're saying the only way to play is the close-quarters circle-jerk, regardless of plane type? IMO if you're in a Zeke, Spit or Hurricane you forfeit all rights to :cry about guys not wanting to fly the way you think they should to give you easy kills. I'll be damned if I'm going to let any of those three types sucker my F4U into a close-quarters turning battle if I can help it.

I fly my plane to its strengths, fight my opponents' to their weaknesses, and plan my engagements on the situation. If that means coming in with alitude and not blowing all my E to join the conga-line in the weeds you bet your bellybutton I'll be that plane arriving at 10k (if not higher to ensure parity with the other guys with altitude).

lol another person calling the whine card.... same as racist do....

You fly how you want it's no skin off my nose. But don't get upset when folks say something about it.

My whole point is "How do you know what a plane can do unless you try it"..............
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:34:30 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »

[sarcasm]why not? you get another plane for free.[/sarcasm]

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »
see the same "tactic" all the time when we are taking a base, its almost always a LA7 so low on the deck yan cant hardly see the icon, they up, go screaming directly towards town (to suicide into the troops or goon).. and make HO snapshots at people as they try to intercept..

I got 5 kills one time in about 3 minutes, same guy same plane same tactic over and over..  I cant complain, I was in a G2 so got something like 12 billion perks when I landed.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »
F4U can easily turn with a spit
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:45:51 PM »
I got 5 kills one time in about 3 minutes, same guy same plane same tactic over and over..  I cant complain, I was in a G2 so got something like 12 billion perks when I landed.
Yeah, my ENY30 Hurri Mk1 gets me extra perkies because of the fact that not many people see them so don't think they have to worry about 'em.  Eight .303 MG on a great little turn-fighter will send a firehose of lead and saw off your wing like butter, given the chance.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »
Yeah, my ENY30 Hurri Mk1 gets me extra perkies because of the fact that not many people see them so don't think they have to worry about 'em.  Eight .303 MG on a great little turn-fighter will send a firehose of lead and saw off your wing like butter, given the chance.

What kind of butter are you eating, that requires any sort of sawing motion?   :D

I agree though, Hurri mk 1 is possibly the most fun furballer in the game :) 

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 03:35:36 PM »
What kind of butter are you eating, that requires any sort of sawing motion?   :D

I agree though, Hurri mk 1 is possibly the most fun furballer in the game :) 

SBD is actually a suprisingly good little furballer with potentially better pop then the hurri I.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »
Yea, but I really love the feel of the hurri mk1.  The sound (even without a custom pack) of the .303's and the ensuing HUNDREDS of hit sprites are awsome  :aok 

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »
F4U can easily turn with a spit

It's entirely dependent on the situation. At mid-to-high speeds it's no contest. However we're not talking mid-to-high speeds if we go by Shuffler's definition of how planes should be flown in the game. So let's move this to the weeds hovering at the stall for his benefit.

With full flaps the F4U's turn radius may be tighter but the rate falls off substantially, at which point the Spit's higher rate of turn takes over. If the Corsair doesn't close out the deal FAST she's not going to last long and the Spitfire will eventually get around on her. Additionally, the Corsair's weight works against it trying to break out of the horizontal plane whereas the Spitfire can more easily move into the vertical under near-stall conditions.

That's assuming the Hog survives long enough at the bottom of a dog pile to even GET to that point. The absolute WORST place to be in a Corsair is with flaps out on the deck against multiple cons.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.