Author Topic: valkyrie  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Tmac7

• Copper Member
Re: valkyrie
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 09:57:51 PM »
I just got home from watching it and i loved it. Most historically accurate World War 2 movie I've seen.
Member of ****ALCHEMIST****

"E Tan Epi Tan"
Proud United States Marine

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
Saw it yesterday with the wife. I recommend it. Loved the entire movie up to the point when Maverick attempts to propel himself into Martyrdom just before execution. Kinda hokey. Can't imagine someone as supposedly hardcore as Von Stoffel screaming like a lunatic.(imo)

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »
I went to see Valkyrie last night, I thought it was pretty good, it seemed historically accurate to me.

did anyone else see it?

I was wondering if it was truly historically accurate and not fixed up like a lot of movies,

thanks,

opposum

I seen it. It was good i think.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »
just got back from the theater, pretty cool movie, not sure how historically acurate it was (not going to spoil the plot for others) visually it looked really nice and historical, there were details in the plot i don't think actually happened... All in all very cool movie, Tom Cruise was horribly miscast though... but i managed to look past that

it was entertaining, i suggest it for everyone
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »
just got back from the theater, pretty cool movie, not sure how historically acurate it was (not going to spoil the plot for others) visually it looked really nice and historical, there were details in the plot i don't think actually happened... All in all very cool movie, Tom Cruise was horribly miscast though... but i managed to look past that

it was entertaining, i suggest it for everyone

Thanks for not spoiling the plot for us. I'm just assuming that the plot to kill Hitler went off exactly as planned, right? ;-)

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 11:32:21 AM »
Thanks for not spoiling the plot for us. I'm just assuming that the plot to kill Hitler went off exactly as planned, right? ;-)

-Llama

Yup, war ended in July of '44.  ;)
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »
Here's your sign!

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 11:36:04 AM »
Nah, just trading sarcastic witticisms. :)
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 11:36:08 AM »
Ya want history and accuracy, read a book. Don't go to some hollywierd box office entertainment fantasy and expect history.  :huh
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »
Ya want history and accuracy, read a book. Don't go to some hollywierd box office entertainment fantasy and expect history.  :huh

yeah I know, it was still an entertaining movie, if you can look past Tom Cruise being a crazy scientologist

speaking of scientology, their world headquarters are in clearwater FL and driving past that place is creepy, i swear it's a cult, they all dress the same....

anywho cool movie, just saw the history channel show on the actual events and I was right, some of the plot was hollywood-ized, but all in all decently close to the actual events, it was cool, go see, you will all enjoy
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 05:10:33 AM »

And we can all sit around a crackling fire and read to one another :) OOOohhhh, How cozy :)

-Llama

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »
I saw the movie.

Whatever you think of Cruise (I thought he did well), the movie has a lot of talented supporting actors.  Historical accuracy is hard to judge as I'm not an expert on Hitler assassination plots, but as a piece of semi-historical entertainment the movie is good, though not excellent (few movies reach that mark).  I thought the story could have benefited from more character development for Staufenberg.  It begins in Africa in early '43, so you don't have any sense of the character's origins, what kind of man he is, where he grew up, etc.  The Merlin-engined 109 in the hangar is kind of a pity, but what are ya gonna do?  For that matter, it's not a movie to see if you're one of those that love to identify military hardware.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »
I saw the movie.

Whatever you think of Cruise (I thought he did well), the movie has a lot of talented supporting actors.  Historical accuracy is hard to judge as I'm not an expert on Hitler assassination plots, but as a piece of semi-historical entertainment the movie is good, though not excellent (few movies reach that mark).  I thought the story could have benefited from more character development for Staufenberg.  It begins in Africa in early '43, so you don't have any sense of the character's origins, what kind of man he is, where he grew up, etc.  The Merlin-engined 109 in the hangar is kind of a pity, but what are ya gonna do?  For that matter, it's not a movie to see if you're one of those that love to identify military hardware.

keep checking the history channels listings, they did a really good show on the plot and the making of the movie, really detailed, I loved it

it happened to be on tv 10 minutes after I got home from the theater, the movie did a pretty good job with just some minor embelishments, but thats to be expected

some of the scenes outside of the war ministry were actually shot on location in Berlin.

My complaint with the movie was the varying accents, some people had German accents, some American and some British, Cruise did do good but I still think there could have been someone else.

oh yeah and how can you tell a merlin 109 from a regular one?

Oh yeah and what was with Hitlers plane being covered by 2 109s? Shouldn't there like 30 of them?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
Oh yeah and what was with Hitlers plane being covered by 2 109s? Shouldn't there like 30 of them?

I have not seen the movie but... If you have ever covered a bomber you would realize that you cant sit on top of it to cover it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »
This is a Merlin-engined 109:

This one has/had a real Daimler-Benz:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!