Author Topic: TA Usage Down?  (Read 517 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
TA Usage Down?
« on: December 27, 2008, 01:42:44 PM »
This is purely subjective, but I seem to be noticing less usage of the TA by new and fairly new players to learn ACM at certain times of the day.  Mid to late mornings and even early afternoon, where I used to find 8 or 12 people flying around A1, I see maybe 4 or 5 people on, and half of them are fooling around somewhere else as Knits or Rooks, and A1 is completely deserted.

Even at busier times, it seems the greater majority of pilots flying around A1 are fairly accomplished veterans as opposed to those brand new or in real need of instruction.  Heck, I haven't seen all that many Trainers around either (not meant as a dig at Trainers).

I'm online everyday and usually make a point to check the TA first every morning, and then later in the afternoon as I like to assist the serious new pilot in getting started in the game.  I find it's also a great way to meet new pilots and to do a little squad recruiting of the ones with good attitudes, but lately, the pickings seem awful slim.

Has anyone noticed the same thing, or have a reason for it, if I'm correct?
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: TA Usage Down?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
Yeah Ive noticed its gotten a little thin in there. Most of all when you figure in the kids are all off for Xmas vacation.

Ive spent a lot of time in the TA. It!, and the trainers, are the best resource in the game I believe. I still go in on occasion to use the bombing targets or to bone up on an airplane before I launch in the MA.

Great place the training arena. I love it there.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »
The TA seems to go in spurts. Be busy for a while then drop off and repeat.  I'm only on in the evenings, so I don't see the morning or afternoon crowds.  You are right about the veterans being more prevelant in there then the newbies, but that's why I'm in there.  I can get good fights in there without worry of interference and immediate feedback from my adversary.  And when my ego get's too high I just pick a fight with Widewing and get immediately put back in my place :lol . Sloehand I to often do some recruiting for the 332nd in there myself, You'll find a lot of the new pilots in there that wan't to learn before getting into combat rather then those that just want some sort of instant action.  The ones wanting to learn are the ones I look for.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
We're learnin' them in the MA  :rofl :rofl Actually, we've been directing them there when they start asking basic questions. So we will try to send them your way. You can lead a horse to water but.......................... ....

My squad was practicing in the TA every Tuesday for a while and I hope we get back to it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
I'm in there almost everyday.  I enjoy helping guys out with what I can, although I have a horrible time explaining things.  I can do it, just can't describe how.  :)
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:16:37 AM »
I'd say its down at least half, especially afternooons when I used to be in there a lot.

Evenings its a coin toss, some get busy but again most of the time there are significantly fewer people on that their used to be.

Lusche mornings down as well?

I used to figure 10 -12 people was my minimum to head into the TA for an hour. Now I seldom see more than 6 in the TA afternoons and often its only 3 - 4.

Offline Mulligan

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »
It seems as if the DA has become your do-it-yourself training arena.

I see more new pilots in there than in the TA.

mulli

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »
So, does anyone have a good idea how to promote/encourage more newbs to go first, and spend more time, in the TA after they first sign on.  I know we'll still get alot of eager yahoos, but there must be something (and yes, I'm sort of looking to HiTech for some incentive mechanism) that can be done to stress the need to spend time in the TA and learn the game.  Don't want to straightjacket them, but just some reoccuring promotional message, maybe just for the two-weekers.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
Lusche mornings down as well?

Can't really tell.. it may be a bit less, but then the TA always had it's up and downs, and there had always been quite few players on when I'm in TA, usually 1-6 only.

I just don't know if it's a new problem or if I'm just noting it more since I got this badge...but many new players seem not to be interested to invest more than 30 seconds in "training" or just reading up the basic control setup "No, tell me what button to fly!" ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:55:08 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
No lusche, that seems to be the new trend.

Over the years I have seen the numbers of younger players steadily rising. And with each year they get younger and younger. Back in 01 - 04 it was quite rare to see someone under 16. Now we have a steady stream of 12 yr olds, and I'm regularly seeing kids under 10.

You can't communicate with them, they can't type for the most part.
They have a very short attention span, and all they want to do is get up and kill things.

They have no interest in learning anything.

Offline DH367th

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Gotta agree with ghosth on this 1 when I Started oh heck let just stay with AH in 03 most were over 21.
Also and this will draw fire I am sure most vets at that time had patience helped the new guys explained that going to the TA wasnt a punishment but a place to get help.Not just the yell GO TO THE TA NOOB again i will say its up to the vets to explain that TA is a helpfull place not a banishment or a put down we get back what we put in gentlemen. :salute
You don't have to be crazy but it helps

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »

They have no interest in learning anything.

I've noticed the same thing, Ghosth. I spent an hour or so trying to help a noob in MW 2 weeks ago. Typical profile: squeaker (zip coad) who hadn't bothered reading ONE word from the Help files before launching his two week freebie.
I managed to get him off the runway and gave him the links for the trainers website and NetAces. Two days later he's barking orders at me because his troops aren't taking at a port he's after. It seems that his six sorties dropping troops ended in failure. I hovered nearby as he made a 7th attempt. Out come the troops as all ack guns kicked in with a vengence. I asked him if he studied up on the websites. The reply was something like: "I don't need help, I know how to play this now."   :D

I dunno...maybe a $9.95 @ mo. H2H playground would attract these folks into one sandbox.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:21:18 AM by Max »