Author Topic: 5 Inchers  (Read 1238 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: 5 Inchers
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 08:52:48 AM »
hmm, don't furball inside the dar ring of a CV.

Let the enemy come to you.

Don't chase them back to their ack.

Don't drive the boat 3 miles from shore to protect yourself as you attack the enemy base [oh, wait...that really torques the enemy who can't up to defend without getting pinged by auto-ack, puffy ack and 5" :t...nevermind.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 11:03:41 PM »
The only thing that bothers me about 5 inchers is that I can't get close enough for a torpedo attack.  Should a proximity fused shell be effective against an inbound attacker that is on the deck over the water?  That is to say, the shell spends its entire flight path in close proximity to the water...

It's much easier to attack the cv by divebombing, and easier still to level bomb it if it's not undertaking evasives.

The proximity fuses in real life detonated about 5 foot or so from the ground, if memory serves correctly, so unless you're flying below the water line, you're vulnerable. Someone suggested timed fuses, but our ships were issued proximity fused shells starting in late 1942 for anti aircraft use. They were quite effective.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 11:06:06 AM »
Puffy ack priority
4 engined buff
2 engined buff
The rest.

That is to say it will stop firing at the single engined fighter and acquire the lancastukas.
See Rule #4

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »
I liked what BnZ said the most.
Strokes

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »
I liked BnZs's idea, I hate getting wacked by 5" when i'm trying to furball.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
Should a proximity fused shell be effective against an inbound attacker that is on the deck over the water?  That is to say, the shell spends its entire flight path in close proximity to the water...

Well ... if water had the same metallic makeup as a plane ... it would explode.

The proximity fuse was invented near the beginning of the Second World War, and was an outgrowth of the work then underway in a number of countries on radar. Really, it's just a simplified radar; in the most basic form, it simply measures the strength of an electromagnetic field, and when the strength goes beyond a preset limit, it detonates. This works well by itself against metallic targets. Some varieties also put out an EM field, and measure changes in the ambient which indicate 'reflection' or interference with the field, detonating upon detection of such changes.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
last night i hopped into a 5" gun while the fleet was being hit by a horde of 51's.

2 shots fired

2 51's destroyed

now measure that against the skill level showed by me last night when aiding in the assault on a knight base just prior to joining the fleet

upped a wirbelwind

reloaded 3 times in one run and twice on the next run

engaged multiple (dozens) of low level (under 200') IL2's and B25's

atained 5 assits total

1 kill (and this i believe was a proxy due to and IL2 misjudging his diving speed face planting when failing to pull out of a strafing run)

conclussion

5"'s turn noobs into gods!!!!!!

do i have an opinion on keeping dumping or changing them?

hate them when its not my CV they are protecting,

but i understand that they are a required evil. unfortunately too many dweebz in the past hunted CV's because they use to be a very easy target. takes the fun out of a good furball when some jerk-off downs the CV 5 seconds after it arrives.

i agree that auto ack should be set up so that they dont all track and fire at the same plane. it should be broken into zones around the fleet. only the guns assigned to any particular zone engages any aircraft within it.

i also agree with BnZ that they should in some fashion prioritize their targets bombers then ord carrying fighters and boats then furballers that get too close ect.

i dont think the idea of switching ords would work very well, nor would it be very sensible. but something should be done to reduce the ease with which a 5"er can knock down furballers.

one more thing i would like to mention is this, i was in a CV V's Base engagement not to long ago, the guy in the 5"er was just firing into any group of planes that formed. he would kill or damage 2 or 3 enemy planes each time he fired into the furball without hurting any friendlies. this i think is completely retarded! field guns and ship guns should suffer from kill shooter just like every plane and gv does.

FLOTSOM
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
Now im sure all of you hate to be killed by a 5 incher when you are fighting, so do I. Why do we have 5 inchers for CV defense this is just a poor excuse of killing people that can see the CV. Some people sit there for 4 hours and shell away and camp the runways. I think that the accuary should be damped and the damage on the 5 inchers to avoid the "In 11k and 9k from the CV and in one hit im dead cause of that stupid 5 incher".

Enable kill shooter for it
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »

conclussion

5"'s turn noobs into gods!!!!!!

but i understand that they are a required evil.

i agree that auto ack should be set up so that they dont all track and fire at the same plane. it should be broken into zones around the fleet. only the guns assigned to any particular zone engages any aircraft within it.    YES  YES  YES

i also agree with BnZ that they should in some fashion prioritize their targets bombers then ord carrying fighters and boats then furballers that get too close ect.     NO

field guns and ship guns should suffer from kill shooter just like every plane and gv does.       YESSSSSS

FLOTSOM

Some good points Float, I especially like the idea of not all the guns tracking one plane. I don't know how hard it would be for HTC to do but I know 100% for sure, it will never be done  :frown:

Another thing I hate about the 5 inchers or PUFFY ACK to be more precise, is that once it starts shooting at you it never forgets!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've ran from them and once tagged, I'm not able to pop my head up above 3k without being shot at again. No matter who is higher or closer to the CV, you will continue to be shot at until out of range, dead or have landed. Plenty of times i remember running so far away that I can't even see the CV on my screen anymore and it's still keeps shooting at me  :furious   :mad:   :furious

PUFFY ACK TAGS SHOULD BE REMOVED!  :furious     Unfortunately, like many other small annoyances, it probably will never be done.  :frown: But you can count on your skins be as accurate as possible. hehehe...wonder why that is?

Puffy ack never forgets and no amount of time will remove that tag either. I've come back 10-15 min later and as soon as your in range it starts shooting at you again. Grrrrr!

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
If you don't wana die to a manned 5" don't fly within icon range of CV.

there are some who cant hit the broadside of a barn with 5", and some who
can hit the barn, the outhouse, and the kitchen sink.

If i know CV is gunned i dint fly with icon range, wait till enemy comes to play in my area. i dint die
to 5"s unless I'm somewhere i wasn't suppose to be, or egging CV.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »
Whels, I clicked on your name and went to your last posts.....Your friggin Sheep crazy!!  :rofl

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Whels, I clicked on your name and went to your last posts.....Your friggin Sheep crazy!!  :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

:O

:rofl
 :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl
 :rofl

that is the balls!!!

FLOTSOM
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr