Author Topic: <S> Lefty Gardner  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Re: <S> Lefty Gardner
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
It's been a few years since I talked to anyone directly involved, but I'm pretty sure what I was told was that the left engine had been replaced with a NOW new in the crate surplus Allison at Reno not too long before the incident. The centrifugal supercharger almost certainly came with the engine, that's how the military bought them, or at least that's how every surplus Allison I ever saw was shipped in the crate (fooling with pulling tractors I had my hands on a few), so it had no more hours on it than the engine did. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think the engine had a whole lot of hours on it at the time of the incident.

So all our resident dipstick has proven by posting the synopsis of the incident report from the FAA is that a relatively new engine had a very rare and unusual failure of a relatively new component. Sure doesn't sound like poor maintenance to me. But then, I make my meager living working on engines and superchargers and that sort of thing, so I really wouldn't know.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »
With all the times he's stuck his foot in his mouth, I think 1pluss44 is starting to enjoy the taste of feet.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
With all the times he's stuck his foot in his mouth, I think 1pluss44 is starting to enjoy the taste of feet.

ack-ack
Fell out of my chair laughing at that, Ack-Ack....

A few years ago, the Blue Angels were doing their demo at Reno/Stead Airport for the Reno Air Race Association event held each year, commonly called The Reno Air Races.
On take off, BA 5 ingested some sort of debris into his port engine, called a mayday, and safely landed on one.
BA 7 took off with in minutes and they completed their show with the usual outstanding abilities they have always shown.
That night, the damaged engine was replaced but it sort of self destructed on the run up taxi test. A second engine was installed, and they flew the bird that day in the show.
I guess that first replacement engine might have had a lack of maintenance also?
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »
It's been a few years since I talked to anyone directly involved, but I'm pretty sure what I was told was that the left engine had been replaced with a NOW new in the crate surplus Allison at Reno not too long before the incident. The centrifugal supercharger almost certainly came with the engine, that's how the military bought them, or at least that's how every surplus Allison I ever saw was shipped in the crate (fooling with pulling tractors I had my hands on a few), so it had no more hours on it than the engine did. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think the engine had a whole lot of hours on it at the time of the incident.

So all our resident dipstick has proven by posting the synopsis of the incident report from the FAA is that a relatively new engine had a very rare and unusual failure of a relatively new component. Sure doesn't sound like poor maintenance to me. But then, I make my meager living working on engines and superchargers and that sort of thing, so I really wouldn't know.

don't jump on me, because i'm only asking a question here.

i had read about the crash on the white lightnin website, and i read the NTSB report too...which i think was posted there also.
 the problem was in the left engine, which was new. i'm wondering(because i don't know these systems at all..which is why i'm asking this) if anything else external to the engine could cause that backfire? possibly an unknown lean mixture? something crossfiring in the ignition?
 i only ask, because if you watch the video on the white lightnin's website, you'll note the left engine backfire upon application of power on the takeoff roll.

i do not mean any disrespect for or to anyone, especially not lefty or his family. that video from his website is one of my favorites, and i watch it often. the combination of beautiful flying, and calm relaxin music it incredible.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 06:48:19 AM »
I actually do know what happened when it crashed.  I also worked with the Ezell's to see her fly again through our company's dealings.  You posted nothing more than a childish rant that was insulting to the man and his family.  Saying that they did not do maintenance on the aircraft that was needed is wrong and very insulting.  That you do not see that you insulted him is further evidence of your childish demeanor.

Grow the hell up and stop acting like a bratty little punk.

No, I did not post with any intent to insult anyone, I do see that I insulted him, but I had no intent.

:salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »
Just a  :salute from me.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins