Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 204060 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #540 on: May 11, 2010, 01:08:04 AM »
Bring on the Beau!  And bring on supply convoys with freighters and flak ships, not just barges.

Amen.

Mustangs, Mossies and Beau's.  All it takes for a nice run to Norway :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #541 on: May 11, 2010, 01:44:09 AM »
i bet that pilot needed a change of pants after that flight  :O
I don't think so actually.  By the time you can process what just happened, it is also clear that you're just fine, so the danger is past.

I recall reading that in Stanford Tuck's second sortie over Dunkirk his Spitfire took a 20mm round to the cockpit just like that when he did an HO with a Bf110C and the bullet proof wind screen, which had just been installed between his first and second sorties, stopped the shot.  As I recall, the Bf110 didn't take as well to his eight .303s.  Tuck didn't seem, in his book, particularly put out by it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #542 on: May 26, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »
In my ongoing quest to find any an all Beaufighter books, I came across a privately printed book that proves once and for all we have to have the Beau in AH.  It's clearly meant to be my plane!

"The Bristol Beaufighter Crash Log"  compiled by David Smith.

800 Category E losses of Beaus, not related to combat but due to pilot error, engine failures, shoot downs by friendlies etc.  While not making light of the human cost in a real war, it is amazing to see the details of some of the losses.  Just a few examples

-Swung on take off, overcorrected, ran off runway into sand, still attempted take off and hit windsock
-See  flying low and slow then propellor tips hit water.
-Dived into the ground on an air firing exercise.
--Swung on take off, collided with huts.
-Struck tree in the dark.
-overshot and collided with a building
-Undershot landing, hit house
-Shot down in error by friendly anti-aircraft fire.
-Low level camera gun attacks on house, pilot misjudged distance and struck roof.
-Crashed after attempted take off by two unqualified airmen who had escaped from the guardroom.
-Overshooting, swung to avoid a row of hangers, became airborne, but stalled and crashed.
-Crashed due to pilot being blinded by search light beams
-Heavy landing due to sun glare and salt on the windscreen from low flying over the sea.
-Force landed on approach .  Pilot forgot to change tanks due to excitment from probably destroying an E/A on his first operation.
-Hit hill while circling the airfield.  Pilot was probably watching another aircraft burning on the ground.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #543 on: May 26, 2010, 11:24:02 PM »
The ground is a harsh mistress.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #544 on: May 26, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
Sounds like a run down of last nights AHII session for me.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #545 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
Good find! And +1 for the Beau!  :aok
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #546 on: May 27, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
I wonder what the rudder authority is like on this pig? I couldn't help but wonder, looking at that photo.

Otherwise, +1 on the scow. It should make a fun target, though shooting it down, much like shagging a WHALE, will only count like half a notch.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #547 on: May 27, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »
-Crashed after attempted take off by two unqualified airmen who had escaped from the guardroom.

:rofl good to see the British squadie mentality has not changed in 60 or so years, my fellow brit serviceman/vets will understand   ;)
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #548 on: May 27, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
Ive said this before in another thread but Ill say it again in cased you missed it,Ive met pilots who flew the beaufighter and the mossie and most of em preferd the beaufighter the main reasons being far easier to take off and land,generally very docile to fly but responsive when you needed it,all said they felt very secure and "safe" in it.
A very definite YES to the beaufighter from me.
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #549 on: May 27, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
Ive said this before in another thread but Ill say it again in cased you missed it,Ive met pilots who flew the beaufighter and the mossie and most of em preferd the beaufighter the main reasons being far easier to take off and land,generally very docile to fly but responsive when you needed it,all said they felt very secure and "safe" in it.
A very definite YES to the beaufighter from me.

That's interesting, my impression was that the Beaufighter was rather taxing to fly, being very difficult to fly "hands off" and required a great deal of attention to keep it flying true as evident by later model Beau's having a pronounce dihedral to the horizontal stabilizer.

Of course I know if you ask 10 different pilots their opinions on something you're likely to get 10 different answers. :)

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #550 on: May 27, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
All said that the torque on a mossie on take off was a real handfull but I think most had a lot more hours on the beafighter than the mossie so it could be a case of preffering what you were more used to.
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #551 on: May 27, 2010, 03:28:45 PM »
I wonder what the rudder authority is like on this pig? I couldn't help but wonder, looking at that photo.

Otherwise, +1 on the scow. It should make a fun target, though shooting it down, much like shagging a WHALE, will only count like half a notch.

hehe, the Beau will do just fine when it finally gets here....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #552 on: May 27, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »
So it's official. We get the Beaufighter and the Oscar :)
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #553 on: May 29, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »
+1
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #554 on: May 29, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
I think that the beaufighter should be added.

It was a very important aircraft in the war in Europe, and was also used much in the pacific campaign in the Royal Australian Air Force where it was nick named by the Japanese " Whispering Death"

here is some basic information on it :

First Flight: July 17, 1939

It was powered by 2 x bristol 1770 Horsepower Hercules XVII 14-cylinder air-cooled radials.

Armament: 4 x 20mm cannons and 6 x .303 MG's, Had 1 .303 dorsal gunner position. 1 x 1600lbs or 1 x 2127 lbs torpedo + 2 x 500lbs bombs and 8 x 3" rockets.

Max speed: 318 mph
Ceiling: 15,000 ft
range: 1470mph
climb rate: 5,000ft in 3 minutes 30 seconds

btw i didn't copy and paste any of this ;)

-KCTHUNDR ( Happy new year only 24 minutes  :D)

Definately +1

I think the number of requests for the Beau should really warrant it's expeditious inclusion in AH
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright