Author Topic: Getting shout down. Is it my fault ?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Getting shout down. Is it my fault ?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
rabbit,

Like I said, (I hope), I appriciated the underlying theme.  I read the post before I left for work, with some impressions, and replied in the evening after those impressions had formed into ideas.
Murdr,

I agree with what you are saying as well....  And I try to play this game and be respectful everyones views and still do my thing while playing the game.

I indeed try to play within what is considered honorable and acceptable in AH.  Some folks choose to do things different from the accepted norm of the game.

What I was trying to say was from past and present experiences in on line flight Sims.  And I just try not to let those things get me down about Aces High.

I agree with your views and respect your point. 

The day I posted this I was on my daily commute to work thinking about AH on the way ( it is a 1 hour drive )  most of this stuff popped into my head over the course of the day and I thought that it would be a nice topic to post for new players
  If not just to help some of the new people maybe understand how I myself as a individual  approaches the game and tries to be a member of the AH community.

There is no correct or incorrect way to play.   

Flying and Fighting in AH there is not predictable out come to what will happen within the game. You can think that you have all of the bases covered and end up taking a long walk back to the hangar.  Heck sometimes ya get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. 

Flying too safe and not mixing it up is boring and if someone acts up with poor actions then it should policed by the community.  indeed shine the spot light on them and bring to light what they are doing is not acceptable.

If I would have thought my first post through a bit more I would had pointed out some of the points that you have made in your post.

Heck I didnt do too bad.... most of the time you need a Rabbit decoder ring to unscramble the things that bounce through my mind when I make a post.

Regards.

Rabbit

Nice post.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 07:12:41 AM »
Puffy ack.  Severity of: pilot wound, oil leak, radiator leak, fuel leak, length of time until fire caused catastrophic damage.  Gun dispersion.

An LTAR once spawned and took off from an airfield with several friendlies over the field, and a single enemy on dar over 4 miles from from the field.  He died rolling on the runway from a 5" HVAR fired from the enemy outside of icon range.  I know this because I fired the rocket aiming 1/3rd way down the runway from over 3-1/2 miles away.  The only mistake you can conclude is deciding to take off from a fully acked field with friendly cover was flawed because of a single unknown enemy outside of icon range.  That is pattently silly, because the odds of what happened is extremely rare.  It was bad "luck" for him.  Like I said sometimes an honest review only leaves risk mitigation as the only place to improve, and players unwilling to take risks are not fun to play with.

All of those things are not random and indicate a "poor" decision.

There is no randomly placed ack in the game and you have to make a "decision" to fly near enough for it to shoot you. And you say yourself in the above quote that all of those things can be mitigated by the player.

You are admitting that the player's own decision resulted in his own demise.

And you are also correct in saying that mitigation of all risk results in a dull online experience. The perfect decision is to remain in the tower, risking nothing.

The burden for each individual player is to decide, for themselves, what risks they are willing to take and still enjoy the online experience.

As an example, I hate to be killed by anything based on the ground. It aggravates me to be shot by AAA or GV's. I don't enjoy it. So I don't fly near them.

I don't blame the ground based fire. I avoid it. Does it make other players less than happy with me? Of course it does. I don't rescue squadmates furballing in the ack, I don't attack bases in a fighter, I don't get within 20 miles of an enemy CV. Am I "dull" to play with? Yes, if you like venturing into ground based fire, I'm a dot.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »
All of those things are not random and indicate a "poor" decision.

There is no randomly placed ack in the game and you have to make a "decision" to fly near enough for it to shoot you.

The results are in fact randomized.  You do not have to make a decision to fly into puffy ack.  You can fly into CV puffy ack without line of site and without being provided any knowledge of it's location.  You can be hit and killed on the first volley.  Or after that first volley, you can mitigate your risk by maneuvering (which makes the "box" that the random airburst are placed in larger), but you can still be hit by chance, assigned one of those damages I mentioned, the severity of which is assigned at random, and not survive.  You could even fly into this CV puffy ack range while following a course that avoids a know strat puffy ack location. 

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
The results are in fact randomized.  You do not have to make a decision to fly into puffy ack.  You can fly into CV puffy ack without line of site and without being provided any knowledge of it's location.  You can be hit and killed on the first volley.  Or after that first volley, you can mitigate your risk by maneuvering (which makes the "box" that the random airburst are placed in larger), but you can still be hit by chance, assigned one of those damages I mentioned, the severity of which is assigned at random, and not survive.  You could even fly into this CV puffy ack range while following a course that avoids a know strat puffy ack location. 

We can do this for days if you like.

Its pretty easy to avoid CV puffy ack.

1. CV's operate in the water. Easy to plan around that.

2. Its pretty easy to figure out where the CV's are most likely to be with a quick glance at the map.

3. If you aren't sure about a potential CV location, don't be the first guy through the area. Let another friendly fly the scout for you. He will holler when the CV starts popping off. If he don't holler if you are within 15 miles you will see the ack puffs anyway.

Avoid the water or avoid the CV likely location or get another guy to fly there first. Easy as pie.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
I'm sure we could do this for days. 

We have island maps.  We have islands with strats where you would need to at least skirt a coast line on either side to get past them without flying into their ack range.  You're above the cloud line, there is no indications of any CV activity on the map, you decide to guide W around the strat ack and find youself in CV puffy ack.  Answer?  Guide E next time?  It is possible the same thing could have happend.  Alternate answer?  Fly below the cloud line for better visual of the sea?  Great, we get bounced by a higher bogie instead.  Better yet, let's go straight to sillyness and log off that arena and find one with a land based terrain.

No one is given omnipotent knowledge not only of the current situation, but of the future actions others might take.  There is a chaotic nature to the MA and making decision X based on the facts of situation X no matter how correct can land you in situation Z with no viable options.  Or you can skate through X, Y, and Z and rtb sucessfully, either outcome can happen.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »
Getting shot down is always your fault, period. But, you can put yourself in situations or be put in situations thru lack of information or unpredictability where you have no viable recourse to prevent being shot down. So, I suppose in that respect it could be construed as "not your fault". But, taking responsibility for outcomes is very important in the learning process.  If you accept that what happens to you is your fault you empower yourself. To always blame external factors is to disempower yourself.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
But, you can put yourself in situations or be put in situations thru lack of information or unpredictability where you have no viable recourse to prevent being shot down. So, I suppose in that respect it could be construed as "not your fault". But, taking responsibility for outcomes is very important in the learning process.  If you accept that what happens to you is your fault you empower yourself. To always blame external factors is to disempower yourself.

Zazen,

For instance, like the other night where we both watched this?  I'm watching a yak follow my egress for 5 miles.  I reversed to set a hooked turn circle entery according to where the game reported his location, and then he did an instant 2.5k warp with a wild flight path and we both exploded?

I agree with the portion I quoted btw.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
Zazen,

For instance, like the other night where we both watched this?  I'm watching a yak follow my egress for 5 miles.  I reversed to set a hooked turn circle entery according to where the game reported his location, and then he did an instant 2.5k warp with a wild flight path and we both exploded?

I agree with the portion I quoted btw.

I'll definitely give you that. In the case of hardware & connection issues peculiar to the internet gaming environment there's no question, outcomes resulting from something like that I would not hold anyone responsible for. My assertion that the individual pilot's decisions and actions based on the best available information is the primary determining factor of outcomes holds true from a fighter strategy and tactics standpoint though.

I also do agree with what you said earlier about a pilot not taking any action pending a "complete" tactical picture, which is almost never possible. This tends to freeze the pilot in a state of inaction and indecision, which is almost always fatal to himself and those around him. In fact, air combat is a lot like poker, you just have to make the best, most logical decision and create a plan of action based upon the best available information at that moment. The key is the proper, timely and accurate digestion of that information resulting in a prudent decision and then proper execution. That is exactly what determines the outcome of your engagements 97% of the time. The other 3% is stability/hardware issues or something incredibly unpredictable happening usually as a result of a breakdown of communication and/or SA overloading at some point.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:50:59 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:03 PM »
Well stated IMO Zazen  :salute