Author Topic: Flaps  (Read 1277 times)

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
Re: Flaps
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
Good info  :aok

Just curious: did any vets actually use flaps for maneuvering during combat? The flaps of most American planes seem to be specifically designed for maneuvering, but I never heard about any flap usage in combat.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »
Good info  :aok

Just curious: did any vets actually use flaps for maneuvering during combat? The flaps of most American planes seem to be specifically designed for maneuvering, but I never heard about any flap usage in combat.

Yes they did.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
F4U and F6F pilots would frequently set two notches of flaps before engaging. Because the flaps were spring-loaded, they would automatically drop when the airspeed decreased, and blow back up as airspeed increased. I'd LOVE to have that capability in here.

The N1K2 had automatically deploying combat flaps.

Combat is also why the P-51 and P-47 have flaps that can deploy one notch at such high speeds.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 09:56:40 PM »
Hard numbers are nice but don't rely on them. Go by feel. As you gain familiarity with an aircraft you'll be able to tell when to drop a notch of flaps without needing to look at your airspeed. That's MUCH more effective, especially when using flaps for maneuvering where timing is the key.
well said, and i do this alot in my F4U. i know first notch is about 250ish, if i dont hear the flap noise i reduce throttle till i "feel" im below 250.

Back to OP, I dont really have a time to use flaps, i just use them, to dump E in a scissor, get some extra lift in a vert, on a rope, in a loop, turn tighter circles, try for better angles, take off and landing on CV's.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb