Author Topic: Spitfires and High Speed Roll Rate  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Spitfires and High Speed Roll Rate
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
Not sure what you're getting at, but look at the difference when wing tanks are full/empty for instance.

I'm getting at the fact that all of those aircraft underwent changes in weight and weight distribution without the effects we observe in the transition from the V to IX.

It's also possible that the V rolls too well.  Look at the old numbers from Warbirds.  Back then HT had the Spit V rolling much more slowly at 400mph.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: Spitfires and High Speed Roll Rate
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »
The V should AFAIK roll slightly better than the IX, - it's all muscle powered and the aircraft is lighter.
The V had a very delicate C.o.G. by the way. While that had a very big effect on pitch, I am not sure on roll.
The IX would be more nose heavy.
With a flick-roll, the V would definately be swifter than the IX, however a Mk I would be even swifter while being unmoveable at speeds where the other ones could still roll...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)