Author Topic: Seagate Updates Warranty Terms on Select Bare Drives  (Read 206 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Seagate Updates Warranty Terms on Select Bare Drives
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:45:56 PM »
Starting in 2009, Seagate will be making some important changes to its limited warranty terms for selected bare drive products.

For products purchased on or after January 3, 2009, the limited warranty period for consumer electronics, notebook and personal storage bare drives sold to Seagate Authorized Distributors will be changed from 5 to 3 years. Seagate believes that the new warranty period and terms better reflect current industry standards.

Seagate enterprise drives and Seagate and Maxtor external retail products that have 5-year warranty periods will not be affected by this change.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Seagate Updates Warranty Terms on Select Bare Drives
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
Either they're receiving too many warranty claims, or they need to cut costs and are using inferior parts.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »
Either they're receiving too many warranty claims, or they need to cut costs and are using inferior parts.
Honestly, I have never had to RMA a Seagate drive and only two Western Digital out of literally thousands over the years.  The WD were Raptors 150gb, failed after 3 months.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
I've had several Seagates and WD's and have only ever had a problem with one of the WD's.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »
*Knocks on lots of wood*

The only hard drive I had in use that failed on me was my original IBM Aptiva 133mhz.  HD failed after about 18 months.  This was before I ever touched the inside of computers.  Took it to a repair shop and they took out the original 1.6gb and put in a 2gb and 3gb drive.

I just went though some old 20-40gb drive and tossed them since they were stored and upon trying to put them into service for my side projects, they were found to be bad.  Oldest drive I have in service is a 6.4gb Maxtor that MFG date is 1999 IIRC.

Otherwise, I've always had Maxtor and now Seagate drives.  The old drives I threw away were 2 WD's and 1 IBM Deathstar.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either