Author Topic: Change the auto tank selection sequence on the FW190  (Read 278 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Change the auto tank selection sequence on the FW190
« on: October 02, 2001, 03:04:00 AM »
As it is atm, it makes the plane unstable. If the forward tank is used 1st the FW190 really get some extra nasty characteristics.

Every long time FW190 jockey i now will use the aft tank 1st (maybe the aux-tank on the A-sereis birds) and as last the forward tank.

HTC could u implant this with the new build, i dont know much about programming but changing the sequence from FWD-AFT to AFT-FWD should not be a big issue.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2001, 03:18:00 AM »
AFAIK both tanks are installed under the pilots seat, one next to other.
Can it really change CoG so much it affects plane's stability?

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2001, 03:44:00 AM »
Staga, it might be my subjective feeling, but yes.

This tour i consequently used up the aft till it wa down to 25% or less gas. Than changed to the Fwd fuel (used the gas in the aft as rtb reserve, and also the change to auto tank sequnece at that point prevents me from suddenly hanging there without eng power  :) ).
Move like the hammerhead, high yo-yos or even flat turning at edge of a stall became easier.
i.e. the plane doesnt float on the flip over point of a hammerhead as before. The nose heavieness due to the nearly full fwd tank makes the flip over much smoother and even faster.

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2001, 04:50:00 AM »
Did anybody find articles on 190 series ideal fuel distribution?

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2001, 05:52:00 AM »
Naudet, I use the exact technique you described but it has its drawbacks. I'm up to the very BIG spheres of engine stop surprises due this manual iteration added to the hidden possition of the fuel indicator in the 190 cockpit layout.

How many times you are about to catch a TIE Advanced (alias La7) and "poof", aft tank empty, engine stopped ...  ... Or you rearm/refuel (a new full DT) and after few minutes, "poof" again...

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2001, 06:15:00 AM »
Mandoble, thats why i only use up the aft to 25% gas, than switch to auto.

This doesnt give me the benefit of a complety empty aft tank, but for flying purposes its the best compromise i found yet.
And prevents me from sudden eng shut offs. I only had one eng shut off in about 4 weeks using that technic now.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Been using the AFT tank first for a long time now, after AUX tank when (usually) in A series. Staga, The AFT fuel tank is behind the Pilots seat, forward part of the AFT tank  reaches the back part of teh pilots seat. The FWD fuel tanks back part start right under the pilots seat and contineus forward a bit.
COG in the 190 is "about" where the wings go into the plane, slightly behind the middle of the wings. The AFT fuel tank is stationed behind the COG and, carries (in the A5) 50% of the fuel.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Yep best way to do it is use aft tank down to 25% then switch to front/AUTO fueling.

Every once in a while the aft tank runs out and its a bit embarasiing, but Ive never had ir run out in a fight. Just keep checking it every few minutes.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
the aft tank in the 190s is actually larger than the FWD. in the Fw190A8, I use AFT-FWD-AUX, in this order. I am one greedy guy and tend to extend too much my loiter times  ;) but for the time I get the AUX tank on line I know I must rtb Immediatly.

The CoG difference is notable. Is much more efficient to use the aft tank first and so I do it. I feel no problem with having to do it manually. In fact I find the auto fuel mode quite lame (I would set it manual for everybody but I know it wont happen  ;))

highflyer

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
its real simple, if your fuel runs out in flight, take the .5 seconds to press shift-F and then E  :D