Author Topic: Spit FR XIV, 430 RCAF "Swiftly and Surely"  (Read 1033 times)

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
Spit FR XIV, 430 RCAF "Swiftly and Surely"
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »
Yes, definitely swiftly... and stop calling me Shirley...

Spitfire FR XIV RM824, coded 'Z' of No. 430 "City of Sudbury" Sqn, RCAF, April 1945.  Flown by F/L Warren Middleton of British Columbia.

Omitted the lens texture from the ports, still haven't decided on it.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Spit FR XIV, 430 RCAF "Swiftly and Surely"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »

Omitted the lens texture from the ports, still haven't decided on it.
I think this what you should try. Place a shiney white dot on the lens just like an eye it will give it depth as well as a reflective quality like the black & white picture you posted from the other Spit 414 RCAF you did with the letter T on it.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:13:31 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »
Lyric, bro, you've gotta learn to hit "enter" at the end of the sentance before adding the html for the picture. You keep cutting off parts of your own post by dropping the end of the sentance all the way to the bottom of the pic.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
Lyric, bro, you've gotta learn to hit "enter" at the end of the sentance before adding the html for the picture. You keep cutting off parts of your own post by dropping the end of the sentance all the way to the bottom of the pic.
Done.  :salute

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
Excellemundo.  :aok
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
Thing is, the glass window was flat to avoid any distortion in the photos, so no, there wouldn't be any shiny white dot like you'd see on a curved surface.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 10:24:08 AM »
Thing is, the glass window was flat to avoid any distortion in the photos, so no, there wouldn't be any shiny white dot like you'd see on a curved surface.
But there is on that Spit I described form your other thread all the other pictures you have are shot on overcast days or the sun is not shining directly on the glass. Flat or curved if the sun is out it will reflect & in AHII all days are sunny & fine. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,256282.0.html

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
Wouldn't the camera port only be on one side of the aircraft?
One camera pointing one way?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
nice Jocko

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 10:21:59 AM »
I'll use the pic lyric mentions:

My resources for the FR XIVs aren't very detailed, but the usual set up seems to be a window on each side (either with or without the teardrop shaped fairings), the left side being part of an access hatch, the right side window is fixed.  An extra access hatch is aft of the right side window.  The camera would be set up to shoot obliquely through the left side, the window on the right side may only be there for the erks to see into, not for a camera to 'see' out of.

As for the reflections, I decided to go with a toned down version because it's most common in photos.  The sun would have to hit the window at a certain angle (from the side) to create a 'white dot', and that would be true for only one side based on the light source.  The 'light source' I use in skinning for highlighting panel seams and so on is from ahead and above so I went with a more neutral effect.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:25:29 AM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"