Author Topic: DVD-Drive  (Read 279 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
DVD-Drive
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »
Recently my [Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA] Lightscribe DVD-drive stopped reading DVDs.  It still reads CDs, and under Device manager shows as working properly.  I have tried a System restore, re-installing the entire drive, and reading multiple DVDs.

It was working perfectly until about 11:00pm.  I attempted to watch "The Great Raid" which wasn't working too well (Gotta hate when rented movies are heavily damaged), so I cleaned the DVD and tried again, when it tired to read it, it would simply give up after 30 seconds.  Now the Drive does not even do a thing when I put a DVD in.  "My Computer" still shows it as 'DVD-RAM' as always.

Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?  I would really hate to have to replace it since it is only a few months old.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: DVD-Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:56:11 AM »
I just had to RMA a new Asus DVD-RW drive I got from Newegg (DRW-20B1LT), was DOA.  It appeared that no power was getting to the system.  I keep telling myself I should have gotten the Samsung.

Haven't received my replacement yet.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:13:37 AM »
Recently my [Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA] Lightscribe DVD-drive stopped reading DVDs.  It still reads CDs, and under Device manager shows as working properly.  I have tried a System restore, re-installing the entire drive, and reading multiple DVDs.

It was working perfectly until about 11:00pm.  I attempted to watch "The Great Raid" which wasn't working too well (Gotta hate when rented movies are heavily damaged), so I cleaned the DVD and tried again, when it tired to read it, it would simply give up after 30 seconds.  Now the Drive does not even do a thing when I put a DVD in.  "My Computer" still shows it as 'DVD-RAM' as always.

Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?  I would really hate to have to replace it since it is only a few months old.

Did you try re-installing the software and drivers.
And have to tried seeing if there are updated software and drivers.

Had a similar problem a while back. But once I installed the newer drivers and software I was fine
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »
Did you try re-installing the software and drivers.
And have to tried seeing if there are updated software and drivers.

Had a similar problem a while back. But once I installed the newer drivers and software I was fine

I have tried re-installing everything I have been using with no luck.  Drivers are up-to-date.

If it doesn't sort it's self out today, and no ones knows any solutions I will just get a new one.

**Edit:  Seems to have started working again for some stupid reason.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:07:25 PM by 1701E »
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 04:07:46 PM »
Most of the videographers I talk to prefer the Sony/NEC Optiarc drives.  I know of one field failure in the last several years of these units being used by a number of folks.

That is not an endorsement.  It is an observation.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com