Author Topic: PT boat guns AI?  (Read 249 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
PT boat guns AI?
« on: November 22, 2000, 07:22:00 AM »
So, are PT boat guns gonna have AI like a bomber, or be completely manual like a tank?  Seems a shame to be able to man only one gun to defend against air attack, but I can see wanting to limit AI in the game as much as possible.

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »
 I'm curious too as regards the details in how the PT's wil operate. The PT boat is definately a case of "there's room for more of us!" as in more mannable positions beyond what we have for current vehicles and bombers. I'd personally hope for no AI gunners at all. <shivers at the thought of Otto>

-Westy

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2000, 08:34:00 AM »
AI gunners bad.

I hope that boats will be just like bombers and vehicles now, with a possible added bonus of multiple gunners.

Fury

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2000, 08:52:00 AM »
Fury,

There's a difference between bombers and vehicles.  Bombers have AI gunners that will "assist" a human gunner by firing all unmanned guns that can shoot at the same target that the human gunner is shooting at.  Vehicles (as far as I know) have no AI gunners at all.  The only guns that shoot are those manned by a human.

Question is:  which system is appropriate for PT boats?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Popeye,
There are no AI gunners on bombers in AH.

AI = Artificial Intelligence, e.g. a routine that calculates and acts independently of outside action.

The bomber guns simply all point in the direction that the player's turret is pointing, if they can.

You can turn this off if you want to be even more suicidal than flying a buff already is.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2000, 10:01:00 AM »
Pyro answered this in the PT thread a while back, if you care to dig it up.

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2000, 10:05:00 AM »
Hi popeye,

It's all clear to me now,,, I did not understand what you meant by AI in the first post, but now I do  

I don't know enough about PT boat guns to wonder how HTC will do it.

Fury

edit: this is the thread mentioned earlier: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum9/HTML/001019.html

[This message has been edited by Fury (edited 11-22-2000).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »
Ah...thanks Gadfly.

"Guns will work in the normal method where you can either fire from the station you're manning or fire all guns that can be brought to bear on the target."

Just like buffs.  Except for the firepower.  

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2000, 10:31:00 AM »
"Guns will work in the normal method where you can either fire from the station you're manning or fire all guns that can be brought to bear on the target."

Not sure with all the different calibre firepower a PT boat has that this simplistic control scheme would be that desirable. What I mean is the heavy calibre guns were more for anti ship/barge roles no? And the lighter stuff like 20mm and smaller was mainly for anti-air and anti personel?   I would rather have the high calibre guns seperatelt controlled from the smaller calibre guns. Primary control for the larger calibre and and secondary for the smaller calibre. Go ahead and have a button for ALL to be fired if it's wished for by those who like to spray and pray  
 Ocean bound like with features similar to an airborne bomber, four engines, bomb bay door key to arm torps/smoke and indivudually mannable guns. But! Armaments controlled like the fighter? Primary, secondary?  Sounds reasonable.  And torpedoes  and smoke could be selected via the back space key to toggle which to use with the secondary control button.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 11-22-2000).]

funked

PT boat guns AI?
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2000, 11:07:00 AM »
I really hope we can have multiple gunners sometime...