Author Topic: WWII officer who said `nuts' to Germans dies  (Read 700 times)

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
Re: WWII officer who said `nuts' to Germans dies
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »
 :salute
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:57 AM »
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »

Hell of a reply too.  My grandfather was there.
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
 :salute :salute

i wonder what the reply would have been in this day and age. strictly speaking of the wording of the reply.
Probably wouldn't be allowed on this board tho
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »
Thought I'd pass this along. 

NEW YORK (AP) -- Retired Lt. Gen. Harry W.O. Kinnard, a paratroop officer who suggested the famously defiant answer "Nuts!" to a German demand for surrender during the 1944 Battle of the Bulge, has died. He was 93.

Full story here:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBIT_KINNARD?SITE=PASUN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Actually your wrong Anthony McAuliffe was the guy that said "NUTS"

Born in Washington, D.C. on July 2, 1898, McAuliffe was a student at West Virginia University from 1916-17, and graduated from West Point in November 1918. He rose through the ranks from second lieutenant in 1918 to general in 1955.

[edit] World War II
McAuliffe was serving as Commander of Division Artillery of the 101st Airborne Division when he parachuted into Normandy on D-Day and when he entered into Holland during Operation Market Garden in a glider. In December 1944, when the German army launched their surprise offensive, General Maxwell D. Taylor, commander of the 101st Airborne Division, was away, attending a staff conference in the United States.

[edit] Battle of the Bulge

McAuliffe square BastogneIn Taylor's absence, acting command of the 101st and its attached troops fell to McAuliffe. At Bastogne, the 101st was besieged by a far-larger force of Germans under the command of General Heinrich Freiherr von Lüttwitz, who soon demanded that the Americans surrender. McAuliffe sent back his now-famous reply: "NUTS!" The 101st was able to hold off the German assault until the 4th Armored Division arrived to provide reinforcement. For his actions at Bastogne, McAuliffe was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by General Patton on December 30, 1944, followed later by the Distinguished Service Medal.

[edit] Post-war
After the Battle of the Bulge, McAuliffe was given command of his own division, the 103rd Infantry Division of the US 7th Army, which he led from January 15, 1945 to July, 1945.

Following the war, McAuliffe held many positions, including Chief Chemical Officer of the Army Chemical Corps, and G-1, Head of Army Personnel. He returned to Europe as Commander of the Seventh Army in 1953, and Commander-in-Chief of the United States Army Europe in 1955. He was promoted to general on March 1, 1955.

[edit] Retirement
In 1956, he retired from the Army. He worked for American Cyanamid Corporation from 1956-63 as Vice President for Personnel. He began a program to teach employees to maintain contact with local politicians. The company now requires all branch managers to at least introduce themselves to local politicians.[1] McAuliffe also served as chairman of the New York State Civil Defense Commission from 1960-1963.

He resided in Chevy Chase, Maryland until his death on August 11, 1975, age 77, and is buried along with his wife, son, and daughter in Arlington National Cemetery.

[edit] "Nuts"
Born in Washington, D.C. on July 2, 1898, McAuliffe was a student at West Virginia University from 1916-17, and graduated from West Point in November 1918. He rose through the ranks from second lieutenant in 1918 to general in 1955.

[edit] World War II
McAuliffe was serving as Commander of Division Artillery of the 101st Airborne Division when he parachuted into Normandy on D-Day and when he entered into Holland during Operation Market Garden in a glider. In December 1944, when the German army launched their surprise offensive, General Maxwell D. Taylor, commander of the 101st Airborne Division, was away, attending a staff conference in the United States.

[edit] Battle of the Bulge

McAuliffe square BastogneIn Taylor's absence, acting command of the 101st and its attached troops fell to McAuliffe. At Bastogne, the 101st was besieged by a far-larger force of Germans under the command of General Heinrich Freiherr von Lüttwitz, who soon demanded that the Americans surrender. McAuliffe sent back his now-famous reply: "NUTS!" The 101st was able to hold off the German assault until the 4th Armored Division arrived to provide reinforcement. For his actions at Bastogne, McAuliffe was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by General Patton on December 30, 1944, followed later by the Distinguished Service Medal.

[edit] Post-war
After the Battle of the Bulge, McAuliffe was given command of his own division, the 103rd Infantry Division of the US 7th Army, which he led from January 15, 1945 to July, 1945.

Following the war, McAuliffe held many positions, including Chief Chemical Officer of the Army Chemical Corps, and G-1, Head of Army Personnel. He returned to Europe as Commander of the Seventh Army in 1953, and Commander-in-Chief of the United States Army Europe in 1955. He was promoted to general on March 1, 1955.

[edit] Retirement
In 1956, he retired from the Army. He worked for American Cyanamid Corporation from 1956-63 as Vice President for Personnel. He began a program to teach employees to maintain contact with local politicians. The company now requires all branch managers to at least introduce themselves to local politicians.[1] McAuliffe also served as chairman of the New York State Civil Defense Commission from 1960-1963.

He resided in Chevy Chase, Maryland until his death on August 11, 1975, age 77, and is buried along with his wife, son, and daughter in Arlington National Cemetery.

[edit] "Nuts"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 07:10:16 PM »
Thanks for your previous service. May you rest in peace. <S>
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 07:17:07 PM »
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.