Author Topic: you ever have 1 of these moments  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: you ever have 1 of these moments
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 01:09:30 AM »
I have an old Socket 939 Gigabyte GA-K8N (PCI-e & SLi) with an AMD 3500+ and Cooler Master heat sink already attached.   It has 2 GB of PC-800 DDR2 on it too.   It is sitting idle in my basement.

EDIT:  I also have a Samsung with an 8MB cache, 52x CD Burner/DVD player.     

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:14:15 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 01:18:07 AM »
Waiting for this to happen to me one day, I set my drinks at the edge of my desk, what hovers just below you ask? A 200mm fan opening in the top of my case, it's a recipe for disaster. Sorry to hear for your loss though, if your like me mornings suck as it is.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 03:25:24 AM »
claim on home insurance?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
claim on home insurance?

Great thought RTholmes but unfortunatly it would probably not be covered under homeowners insurance.

A home ( the structure itself ) is covered for open perils, meaning it needs to be specifiacly excluded from coverage.Ie a groudwater is specifiacly excluded. But since it is an open peril policy, the coffee on the rug, if damaged would be covered as it is not excluded from coverage. Heck if a deer ran into the home and kicked holes in the wall, its covered. I paid a gentleman last week for new carpets in his home because he spilled paint on his living room carpet by accident while painting his home. The carpets ran into the DR, stairs and 2nd floor hall, and he was paid to replace them all because they are continous.

Personal property ie the computer is a named peril policy, meaning that the computer,tables, clothing, toys are covered by specific perils ( or causes of loss ) ie Fire, water from plumbing, wind,theft,hail, lightning. etc etc. Usually there is 16 named perils, spilling coffee on it is not one of them.

With that said Dastardly, if you want to PM me with your insurance companys name, i would be glad to look up your policy and review the coverages to see if there is a way to get it covered. I work for one specific company now, but use to adjust homeowner claims for over 40 different insurance companies, and still have copies of the policys.

Let me know
 :salute

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 07:16:08 AM »
I have an old Socket 939 Gigabyte GA-K8N (PCI-e & SLi) with an AMD 3500+ and Cooler Master heat sink already attached.   It has 2 GB of PC-800 DDR2 on it too.   It is sitting idle in my basement.

EDIT:  I also have a Samsung with an 8MB cache, 52x CD Burner/DVD player.     

Sounds like you have everything you would need Dastardly provided the PSU is oka. I just realized I might have one of those in a old(ish) case too tho.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 07:22:27 AM »
Would of thought moments like that you'd blame the lizard and claim on insurance as "damaged caused by a wild animal"...

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck mate, hope all turns around for you very soon and to see you back up in that 110. At the moment I'll just make the most of any 110s I come across knowing your not behind the controls..  :D

:salute

<S>...-Gixer

Seconded. That coffee has made the skies safe again for the cowardly 110 hunter.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
Usually there is 16 named perils, spilling coffee on it is not one of them.

in the UK, we have standard cover or accidental damage cover. AD covers spillages etc. worth checking though, most people dont realise half the stuff they're covered for (which of course helps our loss ratio ;))
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 09:38:11 AM »
in the UK, we have standard cover or accidental damage cover. AD covers spillages etc. worth checking though, most people dont realise half the stuff they're covered for (which of course helps our loss ratio ;))

Makes you want to spill your coffee from time to time :)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

QFT

LOL Holmes, sounds like ur an insurance guy also. ( ill send u a sympathy card   :D )

Id be glad to help anyone out with questions they may have, as i R teh inzur3ns3 g33k.  (think i got that right, im to old to learn new things  lol )
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 09:54:52 AM »
yup, I have a £3.5bn binder for household cover :aok

Makes you want to spill your coffee from time to time :)

a few years back we made the mistake of putting an example of spilling orange juice on a computer in some of our documentation. duh. cue a deluge of claim forms all with sorry tales of spilt orange juice on ageing PCs :rolleyes:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Dastrdly

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
appretiate the feed back & offers all!

wifey finally got tired of me & let me use her comp, not quite what i was using but enough to keep me out of her hair. bro-inlay can build me 1 pretty cheap & better than what i had, so its all good  :rock

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 12:37:20 AM »
appretiate the feed back & offers all!

wifey finally got tired of me & let me use her comp, not quite what i was using but enough to keep me out of her hair. bro-inlay can build me 1 pretty cheap & better than what i had, so its all good  :rock

Copy that.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 12:59:26 AM »
For about $10/year I added a homeowners insurance rider that will replace home electronics and computers following "accidents".

I've never had to use it but it's nice to know its an option if I do something dumb.

And if your particular accident isn't covered, find one that IS and do that to it, then file the claim.  I think mine is written broadly enough to cover pretty much anything though, because the insurance company doesn't want people pushing computers off their desks just because whatever else happened to it wasn't covered.  Cover everything and fraud goes to zero.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.