Author Topic: Skins for the scenario  (Read 2896 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Skins for the scenario
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:02:38 AM »
I can work on a 38G skin; we already have an 82nd FG 38G in game but nothing from the 1st FG.   I have been collecting pics and resources for Ilfrey's 1stFG/94thFS "Texas Terror" and could start work in earnest if you guys want.    Not sure about HTC's skin release schedule though, so it might be wise to mention it to HTC early on.

Wondering why, with 2 14th FG 38G skins, this group won't apparently be in the scenario.   Was the group not involved with the RL action depicted?

Also, how are we sitting with skins for planes from the other groups represented?    Flying the historically correct skin for the scenario was an extra detail that I thought really helped DGS be a great scenario.

<S>

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Skins for the scenario
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »
The 14th FG suffered very heavy losses during this period. Between November 1942 and 28 January 1943 the group lost 32 pilots (out of an original complement of 54) and had been reduced to only seven operational aircraft. During its first period of service in North Africa, the 14th FG claimed 62 victories. Even though North Africa had been given the highest possible priority for new P-38s, there simply weren’t enough aircraft being produced in late 1942 to sustain such heavy losses. On 28 January the 14th FG was withdrawn, and replaced by the 82nd Fighter Group, also equipped with the P-38.

Scenario is February 1943.  You did note who the designer was?  Oh ye of little faith.  ;) 

We are pretty good on the German Skins, but with only 15 skins per plane it is almost impossible to ensure that every plane has a suitable skin.  DGS was in the planning stages for almost a year by the time it ran so I was able to add all the requisite Bf109 skins, along with the P-38s we did.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:13:57 AM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:19:54 AM »
Before you invest a lot of work -- not to disuade you, but to make sure you know -- there is only one way to add skins to this scenario, and that is for them to be accepted as skins by HTC in the Main Arenas.

Skins are either built into the terrain file at the time the terrain file is built (this terrain is already built, so that option is out), or they are put where all other Main Arena skins are put, and HTC won't put them in there just temporarily.  They have to be a regular acceptable skin.

So, there is a fairly high bar to get skins in for a scenario.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:50:46 AM »
No worries; Fencer thanks for all that obvious great work in designing this scenario.   I think it'll be one for the books.

I thought I recalled a CM asking for skins for a North African scenario quite a while ago (I've search the BB but can't find this request though); and I think that was partly the reason I did a 38G skin for the 82nd FG.   It was accepted by HTC and is in game as of a couple of skin releases ago.   I thought between that one and the two 14th FG 38G skins, we'd be covered OK for a scenario.   

I'm not anxious to take up so many 38G slots with my own skins, but I do know how much having historically accurate skins for the scenario meant to me in DGS.   It is probably less work for me than many other skinners as I have a current panel line/rivet template for the 38G which is pretty accurate.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
Oboe I for one would love more of your skins for any reason.  :aok

It was Dux who asked for skins to support SEA events on this very same (Tunisia) terrain.  I did a couple P-39Ds, some 109s and a B-25C for him.  The request was not tied directly into this event as it only came into being last December.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »
That's all I needed to hear, Fencer.   I'll see what I can do about getting Ilfrey's "Texas Terror" finished and submitted.   I'm pretty sure I can get something done in a week or two, depending on my work/travel schedule.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:48:46 PM »
Yep, would be great to have more skins.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »
In all honesty there's little to no chance of creating, submitting a skin, having it reviewed, having it accepted, THEN having another skin pack released with your skin in it, before this scenario runs.

Average turnaround time is 6-8 months for some skin packs. A couple have been shorter, but many have been even longer.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
It's all in HTC's hands now.   I submitted it and identified it as a skin intended for the Tunisia scenario.    It'd be great if the timing works out and it makes it into a skin release that comes out before the scenario runs.  If not, well, as you say the odds are heavily against it. <S>!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
Nice!

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »
Looks great Oboe!   :aok
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
Got the acceptance email this morning, so it looks like there is a good chance it will be available for the scenario.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
WTG Oboe!
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 01:28:54 AM »
Yep, excellent work.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »
Fantastic work Oboe!
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks