Author Topic: Why is the quality so poor in my films?  (Read 822 times)

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
Re: Why is the quality so poor in my films?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »
One thing I've noticed is if you wanted to make training videos I think FRAPS is the way to go because I have been able use my cursor and it records everything as I would be teaching how to do a bomb run for instance.

FRAPS Also records the filmer's aircraft engine sounds too.  Which is what it is or what its worth.  The bombsite flies sideways in AHviewer where FRAPS records what YOU see and what YOU Hear. 

I got addicted to making videos now too.  LOL  I even went out and bought a new video card and a new sound card since Noah used my tower to design the Ark and run the math on how to feed the animals.  So...

But as for now?   WOW what a difference.  I will have a new video out.  It almost looks as good as Fulmars stuff.  Except for that cool environmental shaky he does with explosions and aircraft in flight.  Errrrr  I will figure it out.  But until then I'm experimenting.

Finally I would get a good movie maker.  Sony is what I would buy since that is what most fellas are using here.  I am using MAGIX Movie Edit Pro.  It gets the job done.

:salute

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »
Fraps recordings are anything from 'raw' or 'uncompressed'.  Though they are a large file size, they are still encoded with the 'Fraps codec.'  I cannot say this for the 'Save Output as AVI' method in the AH film viewer since I've never done it to see if it outputs with a compressed codec.  Though IIRC, the Save Ouput as AVI is limited in pixel size to 640x480 being the max.  While Fraps records video at the resolution of the window it is playing in, which gives it a higher pixel count.

I didnt realize we were going to nit pick here but OK. Raw in the sense of "UNEDITED" film. Thanks. I've spent countless hours when I was making films at working to get the best most clear picture possible. Fraps, is what I found to be the best/easiest way to get a high quality looking picture... Or, as close to exactly how the game looks while its being played.

I'm not sure how much more "raw" you could possibly get with a straight up AVI from the AHFV to the editing software without going into 1's and 0's and having nothing but a matrix up on your screen to edit.

Oh and btw, the fraps AVI's are NOT compressed. I dont know where you're drawing your conclusion from, but in terms of editing, the avi's are about as uncompressed as you get.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
I'm not nit picking, I'm explaining what I know.

Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.

Source: http://www.fraps.com/faq.php#videocap
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:50:46 AM »
You do realize that there are different settings in the paid version of fraps right? While recording, if you compress the film, even marginally, the quality suffers. There for fraps, in the new and paid for versions offers different, settings for quality.

And as far as avi's go... They are, as I just said, as uncompressed as you can get. For quality reasons.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »
I changed the FPS settings, turned off icons, and am in the process now of setting up camera angles. The quality has improved but still not what I want. I think if I get into this(which I will),i'll have to buy some good software  i.e. Sony Vegas. Also, what is Fraps and is is free? :salute

i use fraps and record from the AH film veiwer first, i record from full screen tho, it seems to help, i have fraps set at 25 sps, i run the AH film veiwer at 62 roughly , when i play the clips directly into the windows viewer they are very high quality, after i splice it all together in windows movie maker, the quality is greatly reduced, all the movies i have made for here are thru windows. i also tried sony, it is very kool but i could never reduce the size of the films, enough to download them on free, media fire, so after i made them on sony i would remake them thru windows.
fraps is great for making movies tho, i tried it free first, and the free one will work fine, if you like to edit many clips, but it is worth buying, the sony movie makers are very nice to , but very expensive as well, the nice thing about sony is the free thirty day trail!!  i could never figure all the goodies on it out, but then again im just a beginner at this stuff,i would like to be able to make my movies, higher quality as well!
Flying since tour 71.