Author Topic: pretty cool  (Read 483 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
pretty cool
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
I was messing around with fraps and came up with this. Looks pretty cool. :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: pretty cool
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »
Good stuff :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
What does fraps do? I dl it but it says I can only make 30 second films. I saw where 1plus gave a tutorial on film making but Fraps is poorly explained to a novice like me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
What does fraps do? I dl it but it says I can only make 30 second films. I saw where 1plus gave a tutorial on film making but Fraps is poorly explained to a novice like me.

Fraps can take movies or screenshots of any games or video running on your computer.  So in AH, us movie makers use the AH Film Viewer to make our movies (most of the time).  When we push play on the Film Viewer and then hit record on Fraps, it is saving what the Film Viewer is playing to a movie file (.avi file).  But the (.avi) file is very large, so you'll need to use something like Windows Movie Maker to compress the (.avi) down.  30 seconds of recording with fraps will leave you with a file that is probably multiple gigabytes in size.

the 30 second limit is for the free-version of Fraps.  After 30 seconds of recording, Fraps will turn your captured movie into black and white (rather than color).  Full version is like $30-40.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
Fraps can take movies or screenshots of any games or video running on your computer.  So in AH, us movie makers use the AH Film Viewer to make our movies (most of the time).  When we push play on the Film Viewer and then hit record on Fraps, it is saving what the Film Viewer is playing to a movie file (.avi file).  But the (.avi) file is very large, so you'll need to use something like Windows Movie Maker to compress the (.avi) down.  30 seconds of recording with fraps will leave you with a file that is probably multiple gigabytes in size.

the 30 second limit is for the free-version of Fraps.  After 30 seconds of recording, Fraps will turn your captured movie into black and white (rather than color).  Full version is like $30-40.

I saw where it was 37 dollars. Is it worth $37?

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
The only thing the retail version does is let you record in color for as long as you want and it also removes the 'Fraps' watermark on recorded videos.  I wouldn't buy it unless you're really into movie making.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »
But I wanna make a movie. What should I do?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:04:49 PM »
Play with and learn the Shot Setup system.  Then stream the playback to avi for each shot.  Use Windows Movie Maker to put the shots together into a movie.  Extra cost is $0.  Before you playback the final shots for recording, make sure you go into AH2 first and max out your video settings for max quality - since you're not actually flying, it won't matter if your computer normally can't handle the higher settings.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »
I'd download Fraps, do not pay for the full version.  Just use the free version here.
http://www.fraps.com/setup.exe

If you're not familiar with using Windows Movie Maker, I'd search Google or check out Youtube for some Tutorials.

Here's a little help on using Fraps.
http://www.fraps.com/faq.php#videocap

If you want to learn the Camera shots system, this is my tutorial on how to use it.
http://www.derstuhl.net/ahmd/uploads/Aces%20High%20Training%20and%20Help%20Movies/ahfilm_camerashots_tut.zip