Author Topic: bomb delay  (Read 482 times)

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
bomb delay
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:19:34 PM »
Iv'e been observing several people in different bombers. Yet i can't understand whether the bomb goes off at a 1000ft, or at 1000ft for individual bombing aircraft.

My guess was simple:
Ex.
Heavy Bombers:
B-17G - 5000ft. delay
B-24G - 5000ft. delay

Medium Bombers:
B-26B - 2500ft. delay
Ki-67 - 2500ft. delay

Light Bombers:
B-25H - 1000ft. delay
Il-2 Type 3 - 1000ft. delay

It makes obvious sense to me that these could be the real delay's or at least close to it. But what about a dive bomber? Does he/she have to drop the 100lb, 250lb, 500lb, etc. bomb above 1000ft?

What are the certain delays for the various bombers? Thanks for reading and posting!

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Re: bomb delay
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:22 PM »
TEX, you have some splain' to due!!!

FYB, bomb delay is 1,000ft of travel.  If you drop a bomb standing still, the bomb must be 1,000ft above the ground so be armed.
If you are flying at 500mph, you can be below 1,000ft.  The bomb will fall at a diagonal and therefore still travel the 1,000ft in the air while your plane is less than 1,000ft above the ground.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »
Here is a chart showing the altitudes above ground level needed at different speeds for a bomb to travel 1000 feet before impact.  These numbers apply to releasing while flying level.  It is also compatible as a clipboard map.  (note that some of these may put you in the blast radius if you stay your course after release)

*provided by Baumer

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:04:43 AM by Murdr »

Offline doleboy

• Copper Member
      • mushrooms
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:25:17 AM »
Iv'e been observing several people in different bombers. Yet i can't understand whether the bomb goes off at a 1000ft, or at 1000ft for individual bombing aircraft.

All bombs explode on impact plane type is irrelevant. They do take a few seconds in the air to arm after being released though, so if you are very low they will not work.
We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
My squadmate Baumer has done a lot of work in this area.

Generally speaking if you release below 300 feet AGL you had best pull up some after release.
If you don't your likely to lose parts to bomb blast.

On a lot of planes you can bomb very very accurately without the bombsight, by sticking to a very basic formula.
400 feet or less, level or slight dive, and very close to max speed. Doing a few minutes of testing in the TA with the bomb impact crosshair showing you your aim point will quickly show you how and where to aim at a given speed and alt.

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:04:02 PM »
My squadmate Baumer has done a lot of work in this area.

Generally speaking if you release below 300 feet AGL you had best pull up some after release.
If you don't your likely to lose parts to bomb blast.

On a lot of planes you can bomb very very accurately without the bombsight, by sticking to a very basic formula.
400 feet or less, level or slight dive, and very close to max speed. Doing a few minutes of testing in the TA with the bomb impact crosshair showing you your aim point will quickly show you how and where to aim at a given speed and alt.
Thanks ghosth!  :aok

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:28:07 PM »
TEX, you have some splain' to due!!!

Hey, i just blow stuff up.