Author Topic: The MA hops...  (Read 607 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
The MA hops...
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »
It's always just easier to do/show then try and explain. I'm going to try and fly a few hops over the next week or so focused on this type of flying. I'll post them all good, bad or ugly. I chose the 38 since I'm a fledgling SAPPer and it never hurts to build a sound foundation of this type of flying 1st (basically the progression I recommended as a trainer)...for some reason the clip didnt load 1st time so I need to check if I've got to much stuff in or if I'm bumping the bandwidth limits. Basically was what I would view as a typical hop of this type. 4 kills in 20 min or so with runs drips or dings and very minimal risk. Hopefully these will help whoever has an interest, as always if you happen to see me up just ask if you want to tag along on a hop of this type.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: The MA hops...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
very minimal risk.

You're slipping. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
hehe...not really, this goes back to zazens comments. It's not possible to entirely eliminate risk if you engage the enemy, however you can take prudent steps to manage that risk and minimize negative fall out. The real key here isn't the flying, its the state of mind required. To me the functional benchmark can be defined one of 2 ways. To me the most prudent is do you have a hole in the plane. In any hop that you acquire a scratch on the paint (I didn't) you failed to properly manage your engagements. The higher standard would be if at any time you actually gave a shot window and simply fell to chance (no matter how small). This is a very tough standard to meet. A good example would be shane and I in the other clip. I traded a close in snap shot for a fleeting long range shot and he traded the risk of a snapshot for an angular advantage. I'm simply trying to clarify my comments in the other thread. If you learn to fly the way I am here you'll maximize potential and greatly minimize risk. You could easily go 5, 10 or more hops without taking a bullet hole. Now you have no control over what you'll find or kill, thats entirely random...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »
Here we go...
http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/MAhop1.ahf

I'm going to try to fly 3-4 more in different planes (last will be an SBD) over the next week or so....

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 06:01:45 PM »
I filmed this around lunchtime today, while not intentional I think its an outstanding counterpart and illustrates the issues involved that Zazen and I have been debating in the other thread. This starts out with every intent of being a "fly to live" and ends up being downright ugly. It does however show exactly what the issues are. The 1st sequences are just fine, its been a while so my gunnery and timing are off in the pony but its also an environment that will give a lot of check 6's to the targets. It goes south after my last pass on the 38 and we can examine 4 sequential mistakes. The real issue here is 1st and foremost #1. No reason to cut back to our base vs extending in a safer direction. Did that kill me by itself, no...but everything flows from it. The moment outside issues (my desire to "defend" the base) outweigh your cockpit SA your no longer following the required protocol. #2 I'm engaging the hanging C hog with no SA update in a poor area since our base by definition is ground zero. #3 once I determine to head to town and then check 6/follow another greenie I'm dead but it hasn't arrived. #4 with the "troops running" message I'm trying to get rid of at least the Chog I've been chasing. This was compounded by trying to keep my diminished speed vs going to a pure T&B mode...not that it would have made a big difference in the end.
http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/dumbdumbdumb.ahf

whats important here IMO is the understanding that my flying wasnt the reason I was successful in the 1st hop or died here. Had I stuck with the plan the only question would be the kill numbers. Now nothing wrong with just mixing it up but you can see my mind set affected that also. nothing worse then being a "tweener"....

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:13:57 AM »
Humble, thank you for this and the other thread. Reviewing your films has shown me a couple of "issues" that I'm having with my flying - namely, SA overload and timing egress (whether to base or just to remove myself from getting into multiple v 1).

Also, its given me a few other things to work on (If I ever see you ingame, will be requesting a ride along for sure)

Again, thank you for your time and effort (plus the interesting discourse with Zazen - which indirectly answered a few other things for me as well)

<S>

Wurzel

I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 11:24:15 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I saw a lot of my flying in the second one. :(  The good news is that using better decisions can make a huge difference as seen in the first video.

:aok

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »
Btw thanks for not saying "ty" when I went "wtg".  :mad:
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline FentFV

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
Hmmm.... so Nits and Rooks actually *do* fight against each other?   :lol

Excellent films.  I've still got a lot to learn, and films like this are just the ticket.  :salute