Author Topic: Simple GV wishlist - no heavy improvements  (Read 636 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Simple GV wishlist - no heavy improvements
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »
Meaning nothing that'd require extensive art development, etc. No new GVs unless they're very minor changes to an already existing GV.

Fuel enabled, and realistic turret motoring:
So GVs can only move their turret while the engine is off if they could in reality. It would make real tactics more viabe. Fuel is refilled by supply vehicles.. Perk reward for resupplying somehow corresponds to how scarce supplies are/have been to target GV. No perks if supplies used by enemy, obviously.
Is this feasible, with typical ranges in AH's GV world? A fuel multiplier could do it, otherwise.

Separate track controls:
This would allow rotating in place. Real tanks could do it. Makes a really big difference. 
It would need a couple of new commands: A torque invert button, and a brake button for each track. As it is we have plenty of room left in GV commands (e.g. the flight category has 4 times as many commands):

Remote turret controls:
At least slave the turret to the driver seat's rudder.  Otherwise, give a few dedicated commands to remotely turn the turret. Either left/right commands, or commands to move the turret to cardinal (relative to the chassis) positions.  4 or 8 positions.
And a switch to toggle slaving the pintle's heading to the turret.. As it is you sometimes come back to pintle from another position and find the pintle looking another direction from where you left it.  It would be a nice option, it's not rare to miss shot opportunities because of this.  It would probably be best as a three option choice: as it is now, or pintle fixed to its absolute (compass) heading, or fixed to relative to the chassis.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Simple GV wishlist - no heavy improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »

Separate track controls:
This would allow rotating in place. Real tanks could do it. Makes a really big difference. 

Wasn't the Panther the first to be able to "rotate in place"? Yes, I know that braking one track is, generally, how tanks turn (drove M113's in another life :)).

BTW, I do agree that the steering system for our tanks is horrible. What might work accurately is to enable left and right brakes for tracked vehicles.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:30:17 AM »
I don't know the specifics.. I just know some of these would apply to enough of our gv's to be well worth it, considering these are technicaly (as far as I can tell) minor tweaks to what we have already. Even "just" braking one track would make a big difference.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:53:47 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »
I like these ideas. It's time for GV'ers to get some more flexibility.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »
Individual sounds for external turret guns.
Engine fires? That'd prolly take too much extra modeling.
Realistic slump from track damage.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:57:00 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »
 :aok
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
Might I add... fix the tracks soaking up damage. You know so HMG/HE AC cannon fire doesn't ks my hurri D. :pray
See Rule #4

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
I don't know how other tanks worked but I read an account of someone who drove a T34/76.  Turning was accomplished by disengaging the clutch of the track you want to turn into.  The author found out that just disengaging was not enough, the tank continued straight.  He had to brake that track to get it to turn (it has two levers for the two tracks: forward is clutch engaged and brake off, center is clutch disengaged but brake off, pulling back engages the brake depending on how hard you pull).  So the T34/76 should be able to turn sharper than AH's version but not spin in place (ie forward on one track and reverse on the other).  AH could implement this using rudder pedal toe brakes, although that wouldn't really be prototypical as the T34/76 had a gas pedal, a clutch pedal, and a brake (both tracks) pedal, kinda like a car, plus the two levers.

The T34/76 turret should be turnable even with the engine off.  Amazingly the commander apparently disengaged two locking pins and slew the turret around himself by just pushing on it.  Then there was a crank or something for fine aiming.

Offline Cipher92

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »
a fine tuning for aiming would be another cool addition, like hold shift in the turret and then the directional pad or joystick control, u could make small needed corrections,
i cant even count how many times i would stop my turret and would try to get it rite on an enemy and would either get just to the left or right, but not rite lined up as needed.
the demon will rise from the ash of wars past

III/JG2

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I'll give a  :aok too. Tho I'd still like to see a TD modeled too. :D
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:33:04 PM »
a fine tuning for aiming would be another cool addition, like hold shift in the turret and then the directional pad or joystick control, u could make small needed corrections,
i cant even count how many times i would stop my turret and would try to get it rite on an enemy and would either get just to the left or right, but not rite lined up as needed.

This will sound stupid, but, stick scaling fixes this.  Stupid?  Because who would use stick scaling for a gv?

:noid

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
I wish I could use my throttle for the throttle instead of pushing forward on the stick.

Better yet, I wish I could program the toe brakes to act as the throttle/brake.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 04:26:42 PM »
TDs are all fixed turrets, aren't they? I don't really see those being added without track brakes..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
 "At least slave the turret to the driver seat's rudder.  Otherwise, give a few dedicated commands to remotely turn the turret. Either left/right commands, or commands to move the turret to cardinal (relative to the chassis) positions.  4 or 8 positions.
And a switch to toggle slaving the pintle's heading to the turret.. As it is you sometimes come back to pintle from another position and find the pintle looking another direction from where you left it.  It would be a nice option, it's not rare to miss shot opportunities because of this.  It would probably be best as a three option choice: as it is now, or pintle fixed to its absolute (compass) heading, or fixed to relative to the chassis. "

I am relatively new to the GVs and from that prospective I see a lot of potential but a lot of shortfalls also. More than new vehicles we need a better damage modeling system. Getting strafed and damaged by a P51? Yet it often takes several hits to kill tank v tank.
 A simplified way of realigning the turret with the chassis would be nice. Such as holding down the space bar and the turret realigns with the chassis. Using the S key and D key to move right or left in place would work also. The simpler the better.
 A nice addition would be the ability to bail out of the tank to look around an obstacle over a hill then re board your tank. 
 I think we need some tweaks more than new vehicles.