Author Topic: Do you like WW I Air Combat?  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Re: Do you like WW I Air Combat?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 06:39:36 AM »
"Do you like WWI Air Combat?"

More than I like Taffy. And I'm a man who enjoys his Taffy...
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 06:50:59 AM »
ww1 is so much fun - you actually has to work enemy planes over, and dont kill with snapshots
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 06:59:42 AM »
Something nice about a heavily armed fighter having.... 2 .30 cal machine guns.

And bombers not being much slower than the fighters.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline pangea

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 07:10:57 AM »
I would rather see effort put toward the current WWII arenas rather than developing a WWI arena.  If another "conflict" were to be setup I would be more interested in a Korean arena.  AW had WWI and Korea arenas and IIRC they were both virtually empty most of the time.

Offline Frank Rizzo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:32 AM »
I'll give it a shot, and take it from there. Maybe it will hold my interest, I can't say for sure. When I used to play Warbirds I tried their WW I game a few times and had fun.
Get Brett Weir I said.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2009, 07:22:26 AM »
In all seriousness, I don't think that WW1 a/c lend themselves particularly well to arena style gameplay.  *maybe* scenarios, and *definitely* a DA setup- a WW1 "corner" as it were. 

The bombers were for the most part innefective, and the fighter combat really served no purpose other then the rapid technological advance associated with it. 

Sopwiths, Dr1's, Se5As, Nieuports, all of 'em- they really do nothing special. 

But, they're still a hell of a lot of fun- forcing to get inside of 50 yards to get a good shot, incredible amount of skill needed if accurately modeled. 

If we had a WW1 scenario or a dueling arena sector, then cool, but the flight times to get to, and the repetitive nature of the fights developed would seriously hinder any kind of full blown arena development.
"You rebel scum"

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »
after reading his posting again...this makes sense :)

Believe me, I'm as aware, and as upset and disappointed, of CT being tanked, as anyone.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
I'd rather HTC didn't add WWI aviation for a bit and instead experiment adding biplanes used in WWII instead (Gloster Gladiator, Swordfish).

I much as I like new content, I think they need to complete the WWII aspect/game first.

As Pyro said;

So instead of fighting France/Brit on one side and Africa on the other, they pull out of Africa and attack Russia instead, to use his analogy. I don't understand it...

Agreed!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
I'd rather HTC didn't add WWI aviation for a bit and instead experiment adding biplanes used in WWII instead (Gloster Gladiator, Swordfish).

I much as I like new content, I think they need to complete the WWII aspect/game first.

Agreed X 2! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »
Wonder why the survey wasn't on "improvements" to the existing program, such as improvements to the Graphics engine, damage model, etc??

With or without WW1 programing, I suspect a price increase is just over the horizon...imho.

I couldn't care less about WW1 Aircraft..."low & slow..fabric `n` dope "..no thanks.
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2009, 11:21:36 AM »
ww1 is so much fun - you actually has to work enemy planes over, and dont kill with snapshots
Completely agree.  If HTC does the FMs correctly, people might actually get to experience ACM as a matter of general gameplay.

Remember guys, you especially shuffler...(you are a smart fella), Oswald Boelcke developed the "Dicta Boelke"
during the first World War.  Tactics that are still as relevant today as they were nearly 100 years ago.

1: Try to secure advantages before attacking. If possible keep the sun behind you.

2: Allways carry through an attack when you started it.

3: Fire only at close range and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

4: Allways keep your eye on your opponent and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.

5: In any form of attack it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.

6: If your opponent dives on you, do not try to evade his onslaught but fly to meet him.

7: When over the enemy's line never forget your own line of retreat.

8: For the Squadron: Attack on principle in groups of four or six. When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats take care that several do not go for one opponent.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 11:22:53 AM »
Relax, it's just a poll.  It's not the opening of the seven seals.  Another thing I said at the con was that we had a number of things for various projects that have been sitting in our virtual garage collecting dust.  We're not looking to move off in a whole new direction or make a new game.  We have plenty of big projects in the queue.  If we do something along these lines, we would not make it into a big project.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
I voted that I don't care...and I don't.  I see the current arenas needing attention more than adding WW1 AC.  But if there was a DA type ,as someone else said, corner that would be cool.  No land grabbing, no gvs, and just pure air combat would be lots of fun.  Set-up of 6-8 bases each side I think would be the best.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:51 AM »
Completely agree.  If HTC does the FMs correctly, people might actually get to experience ACM as a matter of general gameplay.

Remember guys, you especially shuffler...(you are a smart fella), Oswald Boelcke developed the "Dicta Boelke"
during the first World War.  Tactics that are still as relevant today as they were nearly 100 years ago.

1: Try to secure advantages before attacking. If possible keep the sun behind you.

2: Allways carry through an attack when you started it.

3: Fire only at close range and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

4: Allways keep your eye on your opponent and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.

5: In any form of attack it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.

6: If your opponent dives on you, do not try to evade his onslaught but fly to meet him.

7: When over the enemy's line never forget your own line of retreat.

8: For the Squadron: Attack on principle in groups of four or six. When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats take care that several do not go for one opponent.

Many will question your intelligence for calling me smart.  :P   :rofl

True on the tactics. But when I think about it, I realize that before WWI the planes had only flown a few years and never in battle with eachother. So as I see it if the tactics are still as valid today, then we are already using them in WWII. I only wish them to flesh out the WWII part before going off on another area.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
Relax, it's just a poll.  
I am one of those that have been hoping you guys would add a WW1 component to your game since 99.
Also hope you can add a F86-Mig15 component just because it would be so natural an evolution and require the same proven formula you have used for many dozens of other virtual models.

For me, the current setup is great but like anything, adding new layers always keeps the game interesting.  The way I see things...you guys could continuously add new components for years to come.  It all feels like a natural progression.  Plz don't stop :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns