Author Topic: Battle of Britain on bluray?  (Read 286 times)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Battle of Britain on bluray?
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:09:27 AM »
Does anyone have it?  Is it a good transfer?  Are all the subtitles and music right (I know they screwed the pooch on a DVD release a few years ago)?  It's only $20 at Amazon...

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Battle of Britain on bluray?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
Its one of my favorites too. The bluray version is a much tweaked version of the original with color loss and subtitle changes (to suit our times I think) but the worse thing is the way they got hidef from the old film involved some kind of image sharpening that violates the film in a way that I found distracting.

You do have the option of a second sound track but I felt that too was only an improvement in one combat scene.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »
They need to just remake it with modern graphics and special effects. But somehow keep the same actors.  ;)
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »
They need to just remake it with modern graphics and special effects. But somehow keep the same actors.  ;)

No I dont think so! The original had more real aircraft then they could get together today. CGI is a poor substitute. I think even the Stuka models are better then CGI even today.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
No, those stukas models were awful. I remember the part where the guy on the bicycle sees them diving on the radar tower, they were able to turn on a wire (literally).

In some cases CGI is ok, but more often than not it is cost prohibitive to do so.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
Here's a great review of my latest bluray purchase ($14.99 at Wal~Mart)

1986 was a huge year for many young adult males. At YMCA centers nation wide, the sauna talk revolved around the anticipation of what was rumored to be Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer's most risky films yet. The title alone, "Top Gun," sent many young men into a frenzy. The torch had been lit and millions wondered who had the "Top Gun." Most believed that Val would prove to be the manlier of men but Director Tony Scott kept his audience waiting and waiting in what could go down as the greatest theatrical tease of all time.

Meet Maverick AKA Pete Mitchell. His school boy looks contradict his bad boy and hot shot attitude. The way he handles his crotch rocket reveals to all that this young stud knows how to take someone for a ride. Then there is Tom Kazanski who goes by the call sign of Ice (Man). Make no doubt about it, the boy is ice cold. The setting is very promising as the two young men find themselves at a military training base full of well muscled men and hot showers. Amongst the temptations confronting a young and naive Maverick in both the locker room and showers enters a civilian analyst, Kelly McGillis (call sign Charlie). McGillis only adds to Maverick's confusion by tricking him into thinking he is straight. I am not sure where Scott was going with this one but clearly, he missed the landing.

The most upsetting thing about this film, is all of the lost potential. There was the volley ball game which should have been played in the nude, and also deep conversations between Maverick and Goose (Anthony Edwards) that never went beyond talking. Even Viper (Tom Skerritt) was denied his chance to prove his Top Gun potential while consoling Maverick who had just lost his life partner in a training exercise. Scott couldn't do better than a curious hand sliding across a sweaty Pete Mitchell. The real tragedy in "Top Gun" is that with new military guidelines which allow women into the armed services, Hollywood may have missed its chance at portraying a love story amongst male pilots. Even worse, we never do find out who has the "Top Gun."

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
I play the DVD on a HD DVD player that makes it look nice on my 61".
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)