Author Topic: Join option  (Read 602 times)

Offline newz

• Copper Member
Join option
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
After being soundly clobbered by Method the other night I decided to ask
him if I could join his aircraft to watch his technique. He kindly accepted
my request and I soon found myself in his K4.
I was looking forward to seeing how he managed his throttle and flaps but
was disappointed when I found the MP gauge read 0 the whole time. Also
I could not see his tracers when he fired.
On the film the MP reads 0 and the prop doesn't even move.

Have I got some settings messed up or is this just the way it is?
Seems to me the join option would be a much more valuable training
tool if the joiner could see what the pilot sees.

Addicted since tour 62.
Formerly "soupkaan", "soupcan", "LTARsoup", "LTARnewz", "Kamito", "newz"

"ENY is the price of admission for your "loyalty"".-Soulyss

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Join option
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
thats the way it is  :(  Thats why I ask for films. My biggest problem is aim, so ride alongs don't help much there. I think the thing I get the most out of a ride along is how the player works his environment. How he approaches the fight, the angles he takes and so on. Having a descent idea of how to fly the plane already helps.

oh, and btw, getting your butt handed to you by Method is something you should get use to. He's one of the best and has been doing this for a long time   :aok 

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »
Unfortunately, I think that's the way it is.  Last week, in FSO, I joined a squaddie after I was shot down.  The MP gauge didn't move and the engine sounded fully revved up.  I had him throttle down and nothing on my side ever changed.

I too think it would be nice if all the gauges worked when joined with someone, but it might not be possible due to the different front-ends and lag.  At least you can see how he flies and can talk to him and get some commentary.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:57:46 AM »
I think its an issue with networking. But I would love it if people who have joined you could see you fire your guns, see your tracers, and hit flash's.

Really makes it frustrating trying to teach gunnery.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »
I think its an issue with networking. But I would love it if people who have joined you could see you fire your guns, see your tracers, and hit flash's.

Really makes it frustrating trying to teach gunnery.

what about views? are we able to see what they're looking at, and when? how abut hearing their guns? are we able to hear when they shoot, giving us a clue as to when they shoot in certain situations?

thanks......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:23 AM »
what about views? are we able to see what they're looking at, and when? how abut hearing their guns? are we able to hear when they shoot, giving us a clue as to when they shoot in certain situations?

thanks......

no I don't think so. I think its because what you are watching is the only part of the information that is sent in a packet. gauge info, stick input, tracers and sounds are not info that the server has to forward on to the other planes/computer in the area so you don't receive that info. But thats just a guess on my part. I don't do this for a living......

.....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »
Being able to lock an observers views to mine is another thing long long wished for.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »
no I don't think so. I think its because what you are watching is the only part of the information that is sent in a packet. gauge info, stick input, tracers and sounds are not info that the server has to forward on to the other planes/computer in the area so you don't receive that info. But thats just a guess on my part. I don't do this for a living......

.....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  :D

:rofl

seriously.......i thought i had taken a ride with ren in his p51 a couple yers ago in the TA, and i thought that i saw what he saw..........maybe it got changed with the update? or my memory's goin kaput.

:noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 12:24:03 AM »
you need Method's copy of the film, or get him to make one next time. that will show all the info you require.
 :salute
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
I think all of the issues that make the collision model such a challenge are also in play anytime you "join" someone. 

I think if you're riding along and viewing a 1v1, in actuality there has to be 3 "versions" of reality at play.  The two participants don't see exactly the same thing at the same time, and I don't see how the joiner can see what either of the participants see.

Due to lag alone, even if you saw the things you wanted to see, you'd never see them at the right "time".  You may see your host pilot fire, but it would always appear to be "off", because neither he nor the target are where you think they are, when you think they are, hehe.  I think it could even lead to learning the "wrong" time to fire, drop/raise flaps, manage throttle, etc. 

Ride alongs work best (IMO) as a way to learn SA, how to approach fights, etc.  More of the "vague" things that can be tough to convey.  Things like threat assessment, who to fight first based on threat, how to judge relative E-states, and even things like whether this particular fight needs to stay fast and open vs slow and tight based on surrounding elements.  It'll show things like fighting in the vertical, specific manuevers etc, it just won't show the true timing of those in relation to the opponent.  Close enough to probably get the message across, but not close enough for finer aspects such as gunnery, etc.

I also like it to see if help people get a grasp of where to look and when, watching for everyone nearby.  They can work on that aspect of SA without having to manage the plane, and decide where the fight needs to go, etc...

I think films are probably ther best/only way to really "see" what another player sees, in his/her version of "real-time".

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline newz

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »
Plenty of good points in your well composed reply mtnman. :aok
Thanks.

Addicted since tour 62.
Formerly "soupkaan", "soupcan", "LTARsoup", "LTARnewz", "Kamito", "newz"

"ENY is the price of admission for your "loyalty"".-Soulyss