Author Topic: Gloster Meteor  (Read 10810 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gloster Meteor
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »
I agree but...
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 10:02:27 AM »
I highly doubt the Meteor Mk. III will have a higher perk price then the Me. 262.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 05:17:28 AM »
would surely have to be Meteor IIIs with 2,000lb B.37 engines (most common WWII variant):

Sea Level   3,975fpm  465mph 
10,000'3,250fpm476mph
20,000'2,500fpm483mph
30,000'1,700fpm484mph
40,000'750fpm466mph

NO.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO.

We already have too many jets as it is. We don't need any Allied jets. And the Wellands put out less heat than a toaster.
The He-162 would be a better option, since it performed better, and we can easily balance out the advantages.

We dont need any jets, but since the 262 isnt a hangar queen we obviously like jets. the 162 performed better? since when has uberness been a requirement for a new aircraft?

One of the reasons for developing the Meteor was "High altitude interception against the Me.262 or other enemy jet or rocket aircraft." and this is the main reason I see for its introduction - to balance the 262 and 234 as we have nothing else that can really compete with them.

Saw combat, served in squadron strength, balances the planeset, one of the most important fighter aircraft ever produced. Ticks all the boxes - give us the Meteor! :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 05:53:35 AM »
as for perk price I'm not sure - if modelled right I dont think it would be an easy aircraft to fly well.

slow acceleration under 250mph, heavy ailerons (sluggish rollrate?), snaking from yaw instability and a structural/compressibilty limit of ~500mph IAS (quite close to max operating speeds) could make it a challenge. I'm thinking similar to the mossie in this respect.

However, it has dive brakes, useful flaps and "... turns inside the Tempest V under all conditions, and can get on to its tail in approximately four turns" ... :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »
While the Meteor isnt high on "my" list of A/C to include I see no reason for not having it!

On the otherhand,I'd like to see the Mossie updated{extra versions} and the inclusion of the Me 410 long before the Meteor.

:salute

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
Yes to the MK3 Meteor  :aok
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 09:53:39 PM »
I would like to see it. But at the rate we get new airplanes I would rather have some different ones first. I would put the the Meteor ahead of the B-29, but still much much later.

Something Japanese first, like any of the following: A6M3 - G4M - Ki-44 -Ki84-lb - Ki-100

:aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
We have a german rocket fighter, a german jet fighter and even a jet bomber.  Please could we have the Meteor added?  The only allied jet fighter to see service and it's missing from the game.  As has been said before it sore more service than some of the types already in the game.

Great job on the new aircraft and done to the same standard this would be a beautiful aircraft to look at, even if a challenge to fly!

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
+1 to Meteor
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 01:56:25 PM »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
As compared to the Me262, it has a slower top speed and a slower climb rate.  The biggest thing the Meteor Mk III would offer over the Me262 would be a quad 20mm's (easier to use then 30mm's and yet just as effective vs aircraft), and a tighter turn radius. 

The jury is out on the roll rate, acceleration rate, range, and survivability.

I vote to go ahead and add it.  Perk it the same as the Me262.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
RTHolmes numbers seem like a higher climb rate than the Me262, particularly as altitudes go up.  I believe its range was much greater than the Me262 as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
RTHolmes numbers seem like a higher climb rate than the Me262, particularly as altitudes go up.  I believe its range was much greater than the Me262 as well.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I read that incorrectly.  I dont have a printed source that details much about the Meteor, but I could have sworn I thought I had read where the Me262 could out climb the Meteor.  Perhaps I'm thinking of the Mk I and not the Mk III.  *shrugs* 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »
I flipped over my 2013 WW2 planes calendar and April has the Meteor.

It is badly needed to fill the void that is the RAF's first Jet fighter and Kazaa said he would come back and fly if added.   Nuff said.     :salute
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »
This one would have to win a player vote, me thinks.  Otherwise, I bet HTC continues pouring resources in to remodeling first generation aircraft and plugging some of the obvious holes in the AH plane set. 

As of now, I think the biggest hole in the planes set is a Russian level bomber, namely the DB-3 or IL-4.

My suggestions for the next 4 planes to be added to AH:

DB-3 or IL-4
Wellington
D520
Beaufighter

THEN maybe the Meteor Mk III. 

Otherwise, each of the big 5 have their base planes covered, imo.   :)