Author Topic: The Frank's guns....  (Read 773 times)

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
The Frank's guns....
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
So, I mess around with this ride from time to time..  I seem to be able to make it do what I want it to do...
But I truly don't understand the guns on this thing...  Are the ballistics of the Ho-5 and Ho-103 guns truly that bad?
Don't get me wrong..  My gunnery is by far worse than any 2weekers..  I believe my 3 year old could probably do much better..
But even when the target is statically flying straight and level, I can't seem to hit much unless I'm practically up the dude's tail!
Convergence for the Ho-5's is at 300 and the Ho-103's are at 350..  Also, kinetic energy of the Ho-103's seems fairly weak..
I looked this stuff up a while ago, but I'm "Frank"ly (heh heh) too lazy to look it up now as I know that there are many of you
who are up to giving me intimate details of both guns...  :)
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: The Frank's guns....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:38:06 PM »
The Ho-5 is roughly comparable to the MG 151/20, the most distinct difference in game terms being the notably higher rate of fire. The Ho-103 also is closer to the German MG 131 than to the American .50 cal in terms of performance. and has indeed considerable less kinetic energy. IIRC it's using the same round as the Italian 12.7mm machine guns

But it's still a good gun package. All guns being mounted close to centerline, high rate of fire - can be quite effective when furballing/dogfighting, which is after all the Frank's main strength
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:42:31 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »
Ballistics in the Japanese guns are generally poor across the board, although the guns on the Tony aren't too bad.

Then again, I'm speaking from being used to the Brownings, which is about as close as it gets to laser-accurate in this game. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:52:45 PM »
Ballistics in the Japanese guns are generally poor across the board, although the guns on the Tony aren't too bad.
... which are the very same guns as the Frank is carrying
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »
But even when the target is statically flying straight and level, I can't seem to hit much unless I'm practically up the dude's tail!
Convergence for the Ho-5's is at 300 and the Ho-103's are at 350.. 

If you're used to fire close to the target, it's better to shorten your convergence, that could be why you miss a lot. I have mine at 150 for MGs and 200 for cannons: also, do some test using the .target command (.target <distance> will spawn a bullseye in direction N at <distance> yards from your plane, .target 0 to delete it), to get a feeling of the guns ballistic. I have the original gunsight of the 84 in game, I usually aim along the inner circle for targets at about convergence distance: keep in mind, though, that it's all guesstimation with WWII gunnery, there are a lot of factors that play a role in it.

In general, to have a better understanding of gunnery and trying to improve it, I suggest you to read these good articles at SimHQ:

Air to air gunnery - Theory and application - Part 1

Air to air gunnery - Theory and application - Part 2

Air to air gunnery - Theory and application - Part 3

Air To Air Gunnery Revisited - Guns, Gunsights, and Convergence

It's not all about WWII but you'll find all of it interesting.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:13:08 PM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
The rate of fire is pretty high.  Even though you have 300 rounds you need to try and use short bursts, it's not a spray and pray type like the niki.

I can sometimes knock one of two planes out with the pea shooters, just takes time to land enough hits in one spot to cause a critical failure.  I mostly use them to make planes that are 400+ out break or when I'm bingo on cannons and working my way out of a fight to re-arm.  I woudn't recommend firing them with the cannons unless its a crossing snapshot and you aren't loading your wings.  Otherwise I'd highly recommend using the cannons until dry and use the nose mg's as your backup.

I'd go with what was said above and bring the cannons in to 200-250.  I have a harder time hitting something when I'm on it's dead six than hitting with a small amount of deflection, but thats true for me in most planes unless the gun is a centerline hub or nose mount.

The Ki-84 is one of my favorite rides and when I'm getting ganged and trashed in the P-38 too much it's what I go to.  It can eat spit16s up, especially in the vert when you slow down and pop out the wonderflaps.

:aok
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:45:11 PM »

The Ki-84 is one of my favorite rides and when I'm getting ganged and trashed in the P-38 too much it's what I go to.  It can eat spit16s up, especially in the vert when you slow down and pop out the wonderflaps.

:aok

Ki-84 vs F4U makes for a GREAT fight.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »
According to Francillon:

Ho-103
12.7 mm
900 rounds/minute
2,560 feet per second

Ho-5
20mm
850 rounds/minute
2,460 feet/second
"...one of the best Japanese aircraft weapons."

For comparison:

German Mauser MG 151/20
20mm
800 rounds/minute
2,500 feet/second

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:35:37 AM »
I absolutely hate, and absolutely love, fighting against a ki84 in a k4.
-AoM-

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:46 AM »
I'd be up for it! 

The Ki-84 matches up well for some great fights with lots of birds.  The only really annoying ones are the ones who go nose down and high tail it knowing the Frank can't hit 500+ mph (cough ponies cough).

::edit:: and perhaps we could get some k4 winging time, I've been enjoying it again lately. 
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »

Totally..  I sometimes get lucky enough to fight it out in a Frank against a good K4..
Win or lose, always a good time.... :aok
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:04:18 PM »

+1

Best Snapshot I ever had was F4U1  vs. Ki-84. We thought our F4Us were gonna get slaughtered, but it turned out to be a great fight that lasted for a long time!
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 02:11:04 AM »

+1 on that.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"