Author Topic: An interesting possibility...  (Read 300 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
An interesting possibility...
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
Here's a trivia question...

What plane was both the 1st RAF plane to shoot down a German aircraft in WW2 AND the 1st US airplane to sink a German submarine as well as being the 1st RAAF plane to launch an attack in WW2 (sinking a Japanese transport 1 hour before Pearl Harbor)? The answer is a surprisingly plane that might have an interesting place in AH...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Hudson

What makes it interesting is that it retained its commercial configuration and was often used as a transport plane in a pinch...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: An interesting possibility...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
Cool, I really had no idea. And here I was trying to find out and didnt realize you had the answer linked on the bottom.

Thats OK tho. I like reading about U-boats.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: An interesting possibility...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:17 PM »
I wouldn't mind a PV-1 Ventura and PV-2 Harpoon, which was a related development. The PV-2D would make for an interesting alternative to the A-20, or to the B-25C strafer. Eight forward .50cal and 4000lbs of bombs + 8 5" HVAR rockets under the wings.

Trivia: A Lockheed Hudson stood-in for the P-61 Black Widow in The Great Raid, since none were in flying condition when it was made.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.