Author Topic: Popular Plane = Perked?  (Read 323 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
I think it stops when every plane in the game except the Macci 202 costs some perk points.

J_A_B

(In other words, the whining will never stop)

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2001, 12:21:00 PM »
I wonder if such a system could be utilized that every plane (no matter how powerful it may seem) enters the game as an everyday non-perk plane. After that it's perk status is dynamically controlled so, that if it accounts for too big a deal of kills in the arena, it will get perked. Also the perk value could be dynamic too and perhaps if plane falls into disuse, it might get unperked again (and the cycle begins anew, ad infinitum).

What would you people think of this? I dare to suggest that with finely tuned parameters this sort of thing might even work wery well.

------------------
---
SageFIN

"I think I´ll believe in Gosh instead of God.  If you don´t
 believe in Gosh too, you´ll be darned to heck."
---

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
Karnak the constant shifting of values comes from a system based, in part, on the popularity of the aircraft and not solely on aircraft performance vs aircraft performance.  IMNSHO being based on anything other than aircraft performance vs aircraft performance is bad.  Take a look at the Seafire and SpitV examples above.  Of course the most used kite is gonna have the most kills.  What if the most popular kite were the Seafire?  Folks flying the -1C or any other kite would rack up points every time they killed one, though the Seafire is outperformed by alot of the kites in the MA.

Staga: our -1C crybaby for the thread.  You need those yourself dinnae ya mate?

Ok, let's remove the -1C from the chart.  And, just for the sake of arguement, let's evenly split that 20% of kills between the 2 closest carrier kites, the F6F and the -1D.  That'll bring the Hellcat to 17-18% and the -1D to ~16% of the total kills in the arena.  Whoops, getting close to that magical 20% mark.
Of course I dinnae think the kills division would be that clean nor easily defined.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
 ???  Don't take that the F4u-1C's 20% and disperse it over just the F6F and F4U-1D because first and foremost the 1C is not being removed from the game and any drop in the1C's 20% should be distibuted over the remaining aircraft on the chart as a percentage of thier existing share.

-Westy

Offline LaVa

• Zinc Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
flying alot in the 1C will not get you any closer to the 262, tempest, whatever perk ride is coing soon.

So, have your fun in the 1C, i know i do, but when the time comes the guys that flew the 202s, p47s, 109s, etc etc will been seen buzzing your hog in thier purty new 262.

understanding the dynamics of the perk system is/was a bit confusing.  Remeber, folks, when you die in a f4C then you just gave someone mucho perks to apply to their bank.  That guy might have enough points to fly his/her 262 next run, causing you, and your fellow teamsmates to perish.

LaVa

LaVa

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
Westy you need to re-read what I wrote and reflect for a moment before reaching for that reply button

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
Ripsnort,

the N1k is not in the same class as the C hog because it

a) has japanese cannon rather than hispano
b) cannot take off from carriers
c) is relatively slow

while i used to often whine about n1k when i played. that was because i was always a dash in and kill type. If i flew realistically, the n1k is easy to kill since i just never engage it. Also, the n1k is poor at jabo and has poor high speed manouverabiility. While it is a great dogfighter, it isnt so multi-faceted as the c hog.

also, i think ex c hoggers will be distribiuted like

(c hog dweebs) --> n1k
(true fans) --> f4u-1d
(others) --> other good airplanes (like p-51)
some o

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2001, 05:39:00 PM »
Anyone saying that the chog and dhog are average planes hasn't flown the equivalent of these aircraft belonging to the LW.

The F4UC/D compare favourably to the 190's, with the advantage being slighter against the 190A5.

The simple solution is simply not allowing chogs to take off for carriers - afficionados in need oftheir f4u fix can then take the dhog.

But there's the philosophical aspect of limiting a plane where it shouldn't be limited. Then again, this is game play. We remove some reality for this, like with 30k accuracy bombers and so forth. So why not something small that might have a good large effect, like simply disallowing it to take off from a carrier?

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I am the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel." - A. Eldricht

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 01-10-2001).]

Offline LaVa

• Zinc Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2001, 11:18:00 PM »
LWwaffles fly your flag!

Leave it be..then blow it up !
LaVa

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2001, 10:35:00 AM »
I did Caveman. I wasreplying to this part of your post above,

"Ok, let's remove the -1C from the chart.  And, just for the sake of arguement, let's evenly split that 20% of kills between the 2 closest carrier kites, the F6F and the -1D.  That'll bring the Hellcat to 17-18% and the -1D to ~16% of the total kills in the arena.  Whoops, getting close to that magical 20% mark. Of course I dinnae think the kills division would be that clean nor easily defined."

But I chose to focus more on this " Whoops, getting close to that magical 20% mark." because that is what I felt that part of your post was really getting at. I will let let my prior reply stand just as I wrote it.

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »

Originally posted by Zigrat:

a) has japanese cannon rather than hispano
b) cannot take off from carriers
c) is relatively slow

I've done speed tests on the N1K at 5000 feet altitude, did you know it can catch a FW190A8 (2x20's) ,both at 50% fuel?  Yep, 350 mph at level speed with wep on.  It has an excellent diving ability, and its acceleration is the best in the game next to the spit.  So, due to tests I've conducted, I disagree with C

In regards to [A], yes, they're not Hispano's, but they're certainly better than .50's.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
I was being facetious for the sake of arguement, and it appears you missed this
"Of course I dinnae think the kills division would be that clean nor easily defined"

It is possible, though not plausible, for the -1C to be reduced to only 2% of the total arena kills by being perked, and for that remaining 18% to split evenly between the F6F and -1D.

Some current -1C drivers will go for the tiffie to stay with the gun package.  Die hard Hawg fans will go for the -1D, and the HO dweebs will go for the N1K in all probability.  When doing flight ops from the flattops it'll be a tossup between the Seafire (since it has hispanos), the F6F and the -1D as to which gets more use with the -1C out of the picture.

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
Popular Plane = Perked?
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »

Originally posted by CavemanJ:

Some current -1C drivers will go for the tiffie to stay with the gun package.

Purely my opinion, but if they do, then I think they'll be in for a bit of a shock =)

I could be wrong, it'll be interesting to see =)

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>