Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 621 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: I have a question
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 02:04:57 AM »
If man can develop a air-driven device that goes on cars that deer can hear miles away that makes them want to go AWAY from the sound and not toward it...

Then some genius can go invent a sound so hateful to birds in the area of a jetliner (say 3-5 miles) that they want to head the other way ASAP...

Necessity is the mother of invention.

BTW:  Posted here (see date/time stamp) MY IDEA.  If it's developed, I get 50% of all profits.  Thanks!

ROX

Doppler Effect. 

Maybe if planes were quieter the birds would calmly stay on the ground and wait for clearance to take off.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 03:38:58 AM »
Birds are a good indication of thermal activity and I see them under the same clouds I am circling under. Ive seen these geese and even storks as high as FL180 but mostly FL150 and lower. I have flown in formation with geese and pelicans and cranes and they are fun to fly near as long as they are going in the same direction!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:43 AM »
You mean a jet engine that is up to 160 decibels isn't enough to scare them away?

Obviously not.

Anyway, flocks of them around a runway is the scary part. Get a pair of gulls into an engine at takeoff, and things go really bad.
I once planted several hectars of Lupins around and close to an international airbase's runways. They were intended to encourage the life of foxes/minks and such. Egg-stealers and young bird killers.
It was a NATO bas and funded by NATO.
Lupins will make some scrub, making i harder to birds to sit, as well as providing shelter to foxes and alike.
I have no idea whether this worked, but at least no birdstrikes in years.
Now a squadron of migrating birds is a completely other thing. But once up to cruise, one should be safe. However, Swans have been spotted at more than 20K AFAIK, and both them and the geese will benefit from using Jetstream. So in short, the problem of possibly hitting birds is yet not so easily solved.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)