Author Topic: too many repeat urbanlegand crap and belittle new players.  (Read 3877 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: too many repeat urbanlegand crap and belittle new players.
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2009, 08:49:04 AM »
I'll invest minutes into coaxing the E advantage out of a bad guy that everyone else in the area is trying to avoid like the plague.  After putting all that effort in and getting the tables turned, players are more than happy to come swarming in and leech of of someone elses effort.

agreed, do all the hard work with the E-advantaged con(s) only for the 6 friendlys ganging 1 con on the deck to nick the kill. all that time I'm also preventing those friendlys from being picked by the high cons. Its about the only thing which pisses me off enough to swap to the other front :furious
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »
agreed, do all the hard work with the E-advantaged con(s) only for the 6 friendlys ganging 1 con on the deck to nick the kill. all that time I'm also preventing those friendlys from being picked by the high cons. Its about the only thing which pisses me off enough to swap to the other front :furious

Best way to avoid that is to surround you with good people to fly with.

However it's unavoidable to be on by yourself at times, especially if you're on euro time like me, but there's always some friends to be found on your team.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »
Best way to avoid that is to surround you with good people to fly with.

However it's unavoidable to be on by yourself at times, especially if you're on euro time like me, but there's always some friends to be found on your team.

I'll take that as a compliment, Hauptman Türner

(I think)  :noid

:D

:salute
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »

There is no I in TEAM.

Good point, as long as you realize there's no "we" or "us" in team either...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »

I've been enjoying some success lately from breaking off if things get too low near a swarm (or ack).  I'll act like I lose interest, allow him to have my six, and "run" out to one side of the fight out of icon range of the others.  This seems to help keep them from getting too low and getting swarmed.

The disturbing thing is that overall the SA seems to be getting better.  This is leading to my opponent realizing that he's being seperated from the flock.  There seems to be a growing trend of being fearful of fighting a single con without 4-5 buddies for support.  They used to seem oblivious to being seperated, now they seem to know/fear it.

I'm also finding that if I have trouble with friendlies jumping in my fights, it works well to allow the friendlies to get killed, instead of protecting them and giving them check sixes.  Not that I stop giving check sixes, or aiding friendlies, just that I get more selective.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »
Good point, as long as you realize there's no "we" or "us" in team either...

Well now it become somewhat fuzzy here. My team is my squad, the squad help the overall effort of the side we are flying for, knights. Sometimes we go out and do something on our own, sometimes we help in a concentrated effort a specific area and yet sometimes we disperse all over the map. So yes, I agree with what you say but if I am to choose between sore random knight and a guy in my squad, the answer is kinda obvious.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »
This is leading to my opponent realizing that he's being seperated from the flock.  There seems to be a growing trend of being fearful of fighting a single con without 4-5 buddies for support.  They used to seem oblivious to being seperated, now they seem to know/fear it.

Agree.  Its interesting how they adapt isn't it?

A study in virtual Darwinism.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
Well now it become somewhat fuzzy here. My team is my squad, the squad help the overall effort of the side we are flying for, knights. Sometimes we go out and do something on our own, sometimes we help in a concentrated effort a specific area and yet sometimes we disperse all over the map. So yes, I agree with what you say but if I am to choose between sore random knight and a guy in my squad, the answer is kinda obvious.

Hehe, I was just messin' with you on that.  Although, a team is made up of a bunch of "I"s, isn't it?

Not sure who/what the "sore random knight" reference is.  I suspect (but could be wrong) you mean me?  If so-

A- I'm not a Knight (or Bishop, or Rook).  I generally check roster numbers the instant I log in, and switch to the low # side.  I may not stay on that low # team if I can't find decent fights though.  I often change teams several times per evening.  I'll switch on other whims as well.  It really isn't fun for me to play on a team that's "dominating", although I prefer to "win" as an individual.  I may "appear" to fly for one team, or avoid another.  That's happenstance.

B- I'm not sore.  I'd have to classify myself as basically neutral emotionally.  I do see the situation deteriorating game-wise, which I think could and will lead to bad things for a game I enjoy.  From that aspect I think the horde mentality is a saddening facet of the current state of the game.  I don't see an end to it short of HTC revamping the overall game-play environment.  Limiting squad size, arena #'s, ENY, etc are good attempts, but aren't fixing the issues.  The best idea I've heard so far is the zone-ENY idea.  Maybe it won't work either.  Might be worth a try though.

In a war, steamrolling the enemy is a great option.  In a game it's not.  Especially when you realize your opponents are actually your friends, and that your fun is directly related to their fun.  Steamrolling your friendly opponents leads to having no opponents eventually, at which point you may as well go play Solitaire or an AI game.  Good game-play depends on respect for your teammates and opponents, on a relatively level playing field.  Hording and ganging displays disrespect for fellow players, and "un-levels" the field.  Swarming in on a friendlies fight shows lack of respect for your teammates.  IMO, game-play and overall enjoyment would improve if the horders and gangers picked up their decks of cards sooner rather than later.  AH is a game with a WWII flavor, it's not a war.  If it was a war, we'd all want it to end.  As a game, we want it to continue, so should take action to ensure that it will.

Belittleing players and non good-natured slamming on chnl 200 also shows a lack of respect for your opponents/teammates/fellow players.

As an individual, I don't really care too much about the horde.  I see it as an "overall" game-hurting problem, but less of an individual (me) problem.  I don't have too much difficulty working around it, and getting plenty of kills at the "edges" of the hordes.  My mentality is such that I truly don't care who owns which base, unless I want to land or rearm.  The taking of bases doesn't affect me.  But the manner in which the other players around me handle themselves affects the game as a whole, and therefore me as well.

33Vortex- I really don't know you, or what squad you fly for, or how you play the game.  Don't take those "you's" above as directed at "you" in particular.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 03:07:13 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
Well MtnMan your post is certainly not harsh in any way, makes for a good discussion.

The 'sore random knight' should be 'some random knight', typo. ;)

Anyway, I think the steamrolling, when it happens, is in a way exciting. Sure it can be disheartening to see your side lose territory fast, but that's when you need to realize that you are playing a game. We have endless wars to fight, does it matter if we lose one? It is bound to happen after all. The same applies to the more personally connected virtual airframe you're placing your ego in. ;) One lost? Gained another.

The hordes and steamrolling are fun imo, generally I avoid areas of a high concentration of friendlies. There tends to be less targets around in those places. Instead I seek out the more challenging opposite conditions of a high area concentration of enemies, because I know it will be a challenge. That is what I look for, and find most times, in this game.

So I really wouldn't want to change anything. Except add a bunch of improvements to the game but that's a whole different deal now isn't it. :D

The whining however would be nice if it could just go away. People complain too much.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »

The 'sore random knight' should be 'some random knight', typo. ;)

Swedes...     :noid

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
Sure it can be disheartening to see your side lose territory fast,

I imagine very few people care at all. Certainly no-one I fly with.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »
I imagine very few people care at all. Certainly no-one I fly with.

KNOW WHAT THE GREAT THING ABOUT SEEING any side losing territory fast is?

there's always a good fight to be had nearby.

oo...steve,,,,,,i'm at work right now......got called into my night job, so it's gon a be about 1130 est or so before i get home, to try more on that virus.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
Swedes...     :noid

oi, we'll gang up on you.. all 2 of us!!