Author Topic: Powered USB and stick spiking  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: Powered USB and stick spiking
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
this probably won't relate to many (since the oddness of the setup)

but I use both an x45 and CH stick, and CH pedals. I use the x45 throttle only, the stick part just sits to the side of my monitor.

no matter what I try if all 3 are in the belkin hub the CH pedals go all flaky and spike all over. this is on multiple PC's too.

it only works if I put the CH stick and pedals into the PC directly, then mouse, keyboard, x45 in the belkin hub.

just a tip in case you have some odd spiking problem.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »

Depending on the stick, it can be enough to through a plane out of auto-pilot.

One thing about seeing spikes with a USB joystick.  Seeing spikes means there is something wrong, USB joysticks are digital and should not spike if they are working and calibrated properly.  Only those that use legacy analog joysticks should expect to see some type of normal spikes (due to the analog signals being sent to the game port).

If you see that your USB joystick is spiking it can be caused by:
- Improper calibration in Windows
- Dirty contact on the potentiometer
- Dead or faulty potentiometer
- Loose connection to the potentiometer contact
- Faulty USB port (not outputting the necessary 5volts)
- Defective joystick/controller (usually something with the wire harness)

ack-ack

I don't think its a defective stick, as the problem seems to be much worse on one computer than another. One interesting thing about the X-52 Pro, is unlike all of the other sticks Ive had, I cannot calibrate it in windows. Ive looked for the button all over, and its not in the Game Controller console in the device manager. I can do everything else to the stick there including change the MFD, change the colors of the LEDs, but there is no calibrate option.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »

I don't think its a defective stick, as the problem seems to be much worse on one computer than another. One interesting thing about the X-52 Pro, is unlike all of the other sticks Ive had, I cannot calibrate it in windows. Ive looked for the button all over, and its not in the Game Controller console in the device manager. I can do everything else to the stick there including change the MFD, change the colors of the LEDs, but there is no calibrate option.

From what I hear, they auto calibrate so there is no place to do it manually. And the reason your stick is worst on one computer than the other may be that one computer has a weaker powersupply than the other.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:22 PM »
From what I hear, they auto calibrate so there is no place to do it manually. And the reason your stick is worst on one computer than the other may be that one computer has a weaker powersupply than the other.

Thats what im thinking. The worse one has a graphics card, and a couple other fancy things I think, so theres more of a power drain

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 03:24:45 AM »
One suggestion was that I get a powered USB port, something I plug into an AC Adapter so the X-52 isn't drawing too much power, or spiking due to loss of power. Would this help at all?

I think the powered USB hub is a MUST with the X52.

Every problem I had with my X52 was solved just by spending $30.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »
I'm wondering if they should go to some kind of super usb connection or a dedicated game port again. The x52 pro has many features including the display. So it has to use a considerable amount of resources.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:45 AM »
yep - get a powered usb hub
have had saitek sticks since my 1st analog X36 way back when and have always found that a powered hub stabilizes their usb sticks
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals