Author Topic: Help Idea For All Countries....descriptiveness  (Read 822 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: Help Idea For All Countries....descriptiveness
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »
This topic brings up something I've always wondered about, given that this is something of a WWII, military-oriented, air combat simulation.

That is the lack of use of military Brevity Codes or the teaching/training of pilots in a radio call format.  With the very limited comm bandwidth we have while in combat here, it's surprising to me that more squads (or really any for that matter) haven't implimented more military like radio call procedure and use at least a small subset of standard Brevity Codes.  I do hear 'Roger' and 'Copy', 'RTB' and 'Bingo', but not much beyond that.  And I'm guessing 'Con' is maybe a game term that caught on instead of what I believe are the correct designations of 'Bogey' for unidentified aircraft, and 'Bandit' once a bogey is determined to be hostile.

I've always thought that if squads would adopt even a modest list of codes, and would teach a standardized radio call format, it would eliminate a lot of useless chatter and make squad operations much more efficent.  And certainly be more military-like and historically immersive as well.  Might training some of the squeakers not to yak so much early on.

Anyway, with all the history and military buffs, and ex-military types who play this game, I'm wonder why this isn't generally done.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 09:54:44 PM »
I can't speak for other countries, but every day in game the knights are bombarded by completely useless information.  It got me thinking that it's probably a universal problem in the game.

Christ, I can't agree more.

I hate it when people just call out icons.... I too have the gift of sight, believe it or not.

I always make a point of calling distance, direction and closure when giving Check6s. "xxx check 6, Spit closing fast, high six" etc etc.

When calling out cons, for the love of god, call out their alt and position too.

"Jug inbound" means jackchit. "Jug inbound, 10k NW of A61", on the other hand, is very informative.

There would be less nonsense chatter on range (or perhaps more time for useless, fun chatter) if people spoke like that when calling situations.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 03:46:43 PM »
The one that drives me nuts is on squad channel....When everyone is scattered about.

"There's a goon over town"!

Ok  which town?

Location always helps as well
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »
B17s 11,9,3 20k Ib 55

<shrug>
Animl
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/