Author Topic: Film for review  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
Re: Film for review
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »
How do you unsubscribe a thread?
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 11:42:45 AM »
http://www.esnips.com/doc/938057d1-4605-4a40-88b0-fb06123893d2/The-Lone-One

I just took on the flight of spits in the mission Ranger made for me, and would like some tips.

I know I was dead in at least one place there and I see where I made my mistake, but I would like some inpute from you fellas as to what I should have done instead.

Hi Allen, I have reviewed your fight and here are my thoughts.

Your merge was perfect, you quickly established an E advantage by the 1 minute mark. The first spit kill was good, although you missed some very well set up shots, this is not uncommon in a 109 with hub mounting and pooor forward visibility. The second spit kill was too easy, i geuss he never saw you coming even with 3 wingmen to warn him. This does happen in the MA more than we might think.

The 'almost' third spit kill was almost very good indeed, you cut the throttle and rolled inside him for the shot. Failing to make this chance a killshot could have cost you your life vs human players. Again though, a very easy shot to miss with the hub guns. The rope beforehand when he was guns blazing at you...probably again would have ruined your ride in the MA, but sometimes we get lucky. I ALWAYS plan on the enemy missing even when i know im dead. What else can you do except lay down and die? Good nerve to hold the rope there and keep your possition.

The actual 3rd spit kill was a good switch of targets and use of the vertical to win the shot. Nothing further needed on that one. Last one was a good display of Energy fighting and angles attacks. Great throttle work, great flap usage and very clean control. Takes some time to wear the spit down but with a 1 on 1 that is your luxury to decide on. Some people might consider this a better tool to help new guys than someone who needs advice themself. Not much i can add except, good flying, enjoyed watching it.

Final point i noticed was the mild use of F3 view to locate enemies. This is the very worst habit to get into and makes learning SA without the F3 view a whole new hurdle to cross at a later date. Resist the temptation to flick to external view. Thats just my own pesonal advice.

S!
bat

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »
<<S>> bantfinkv!

Thank you for that review!

The points:

Missing shots is just regular for me, hard or easy. Mostly because my frame rate was 10 at the time, but also because I don't get to practice snap-shots too often.

The use of f3 was again because of hardware limitations. Even the minor freezes make looking around and cotrolling the plane at the same time a leathel hazard. Also, IIRC, I was trying to use TrackIR from time to time trying to get used to it, but it often got me disoriented, mostly because the head position movment isn't the same when looking up for example. But those are the only times I use external views. I like to think that I'm cheating in compensation for my frame rate cheating on me. ;)

As for the rope that I screwed up, I saw what went wrong there when I saw the film. He had more alt than I did and therefore didn't have to climb as far as I did. I probably could have dived around him, but as I did it I was thinking "I have no choice" because of my experience trying to get out of phase with the AI on my 6, even from 800 out. Probably would have been different against a human player, but that was all I had since I didn't have a sub at the time.

Thanks again for giving me what I was looking for bat :aok

<<S>>
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »
rgr that, i noticed you never used external to get an under the nose shot. This is a possitive as i rekon shooting from external view is very bad for your overall gaming skill level in the long run. I totaly understand the hardware limitations. As to the rope, try to think more about making the enemy lose his E, drag your turn back over him and make him turn tighter to follow you. You had a good spiral method going there, but the time he got guns on you could have just as easily kicked your rudder back over the top of him and leveled off to drag him 180 degrees back the way he was coming, rather than just 90 degrees in the vertical.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.