Author Topic: Viewing throttle pos. Flap pos. Airspeed etc in films.???  (Read 718 times)

Offline HAMMERR

• Zinc Member
Viewing throttle pos. Flap pos. Airspeed etc in films.???
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:17:47 PM »
I was wondering if there was any sort of way to see the throttle position and flap positions in a film other than seeing the manifold pressure gauge or looking at the handle?  Same for airspeed and alt. I find it hard to understand what is happening if I am using the recorded views fullscreen or otherwise.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Viewing throttle pos. Flap pos. Airspeed etc in films.???
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
There isn't as far as I know. Telemetry would be great for the other inputs too.. Maybe the're not there because it costs too much in processing during recording, or file size.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline HAMMERR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »
I have to say this is extremely dissapointing. I use dataloggers at the racetrack constantly and the best way to improve is always to view all variables at once. I find myself lost trying to figure out what someone is doing in a video without their stick position. Rudder position. Throttle flaps etc.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »
I'd love to be able to see aileron, elevator and rudder deflection in films.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:04:04 AM »
IF I RECALL CORRECTLY,
i think there was an option to do this in AW3........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
The control surfaces not moving is prolly a hint that only acceleration/position is recorded, not inputs.  I could be wrong..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »
IF I RECALL CORRECTLY,
i think there was an option to do this in AW3........

In AW, there was "a stickbox" that showed control inputs for the stick during film playback.  Something like this has been requested a few times over the years for AH.  The flap position is indicated on the dash.  I commonly pause films during playback to look at the instruments (eg. flap position, G load, manifold pressure, ect.), but most of the time what I want to see is in the pilot/alt/speed telemetry in the right frame of the film viewer.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »
In AW, there was "a stickbox" that showed control inputs for the stick during film playback.  Something like this has been requested a few times over the years for AH.  The flap position is indicated on the dash.  I commonly pause films during playback to look at the instruments (eg. flap position, G load, manifold pressure, ect.), but most of the time what I want to see is in the pilot/alt/speed telemetry in the right frame of the film viewer.

yea, that's what i thought i remembered.....i think mine showed in the lower right hand corner, and resembled a radio control remote.
 that could be helpful. the biggest things i watch when i watch someone else's films, are where they're shooting from, and how much they lead by. when i see things i don't understand, i turn on trails, and this helps a bit, especially if i pause here and there, to see speed, flaps, AOA, etc.

the big problem i often have, is that i'll see what is being done, as far as a particular move, and i'll understand why, but i can never see how it's being done.

on the other hand, flying the offline missions is helping greatly, especially the low alt mission puck made. with that one, there's none of that vertical scissors poop that the ai keeps doing till on the deck. you're right into the fight, and can try to turn fight, learn when to do what, etc.
 i find myself using a merge that i know would never work in the ma's though, as the AI doesn't turn into me in a ho attempt. i do a diving turn(the merge is 1500) away from the bogies, when I'm between 1,000 and 500, i reverse my turn, and gently climb into them. if one of them presents a shot, i take it, otherwise i continue up till i'm bordering on stall. thereafter, i find myself "slicing" through them, always maintaining a slight alt advantage, and keeping my speed always above 250. this is in the J. in the G, vertical doesn't work so well, but keeping my speed up definitely helps, as i can't turn her with the spits or the n1k's yet.  i do keep trying, however. it feels like it gives me a bit more help in my gunnery too, as i seem to shoot a bit more by "feel", rather than trying to aim, although i do tend to still shoot behind sometimes.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)