Author Topic: What a friggin joke  (Read 144 times)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
What a friggin joke
« on: January 12, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
Forget it.  31st January not far away now  

[This message has been edited by Jekyll (edited 01-12-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
"It's hard to believe that THIS is the vision for Aces High."

<sigh>  You really believe that HTC figured that they would do it this way so a small bunch of idiots can "game" the game online?

I'm hoping they fix the ack, it's still porked. And the provide shore batteries asap.  How is it the fleet got so close without being detected or defended against?

-Westy

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2001, 08:51:00 AM »
westy with a little discipline it's easy to get a cv close to a base before launching.  Keep everyone from launching from the flat top, no marker to give it away.  I've seen that done a few times.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
Damn Jekyll,

Here you had a fantastic opportunity to launch a coordinated counterattack from a rear field and you blew it!  With such a false sense of security, the enemy CV simply circled offshore, vulnerable to a planned  counterattack.

The enemy CV was allowed to commit atrocities
against your people and you did nothing.

The Emperor will not be as gentle as I when he hears of your disgraceful failures to protect his interests.....shame

Yeager

PS ooops!  fergot the little smiley!

dont wanna ferget the little smiley now do we  

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 01-12-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
Two things:
Coordinate an attack on the CV and/or up from another airfield and vulch them vulching your runway.

You have the tools, use them.

Pepino

What a friggin joke
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
Sniff, sniff....hmmm????   Strategy?  Stealth?  Discipline????????

Oh my, this game is worst ever!

Hehehehe,

Pepe

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
 Wow. I'm honestly surprised that anyone could use the CV's in a stealthy manner. Maybe because I play prime time US 8pm-midnight eastern time and there is literally no way anyone could get the cooperation of the arena folks like that to keep the CV from being discovered.

We may not have the tell tale sign via the map room but finding where the enemy CV's are located is as easy as looking at your clipboard and seeing the red dots pop up in the middle of water.

-Westy

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
I actually think that the stealth of the CV is a good thing. I would really like to see a real carrier battle, where the fleets search each other via airborne scouts (CATALINA? Pleeease) and once found launch their TBM strikes.

I have used the CV to sneak in near a port and then launching a boatload of fighters at an airfield and then supporting the attack via fleet guns. The flak NOW does NOT kill fighters as they take off (as it did just after the patch), it is ok now, albeit a bit too laser-guided.

whels1

What a friggin joke
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
any chance of making CV ack killable like a fields? and ability too diable the TG guns, then u can vulch the CV  

whels

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Two things:
Coordinate an attack on the CV and/or up from another airfield and vulch them vulching your runway.

You have the tools, use them.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2001, 01:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by Jekyll:
Just logged off after watching the lunacy at A38.  Enemy CV group comes in, about a mile offshore.  CHog knocks out the VH so no armour or PT's can spawn.

Then it's just vulch city.  Enemy a/c know that if in trouble, they only need to climb to about 1000 feet so that their fleet ack can nail defenders one after another.

Of course, there's no attempt to capture the field.. why bother with fun like this!

Has Aces High really sunk so low as this?  Has it really become just an aerial form of Quake?  What happened to the flight sim of only 6 months ago?  Anyone remember the beta?  When you could find swirling fights at 25k, all the way to the deck?

If a defender raises their wheels now, the CV ack swats them from the sky from 3 miles away.

It's hard to believe that THIS is the vision for Aces High.

Why is this any different than taking off from ANY capped field??? It certainly isn't as bad as when one side or the other beats a team down to one or two fields and then sits on them for hours.

CV's are very fragile, just back up grab a buff and blow it away. Heck it doesn't even take a buff, a heavy fighter with two  1k eggs will do it.

This isn't a failing of AH just because players actions are something you don't like.

Mav

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
What a friggin joke
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2001, 08:50:00 PM »

Originally posted by whels1:
any chance of making CV ack killable like a fields? and ability too diable the TG guns, then u can vulch the CV  

whels

Now that's an idea. The batteries on a ship were certainly susceptible to being knocked out like any other. On the other hand if you can get in to hit the ack might as well drop a bomb on the ship. I don't know. Here's a couple of suggestions. Maybe a few 240mm gun emplacements are in order. Something like this Rheinmetall 240mm Kanone 3. Max Range 41,010yrds  . Even an American 240mm Howitzer M1. Max Range 25,255yrds. The thing about adding shore batteries is that the enemy could just come in and bomb those along with the ack. They would be fun to play with though.   It's "Very interesting." I don't think it's fair to just ask "Well why the hell wasn't anyone over there to stop it from getting that close." There might be some battle going on some place else on the map that has a majority pinned down. Let's face it you can't be every where at once. Maybe there really is no solution. If someone strikes where you have no one available to defend then your in for it. That's been the goal of a good general since the dawn of time. Strike the enemy where their weak.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
What a friggin joke
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2001, 10:14:00 PM »
err Yeager.  Kinda hard to launch a counteroffensive when there's only 4 Bishops online ya know!

Remember the different timezones issue.