Author Topic: WINDOWS 7  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: WINDOWS 7
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »
eVGA released a driver update last month that was I believe intended to bridge the Vista/W7 gap but it caused AH and AHFilm to lock up hard (total system lockup) so I had to rollback to an older driver. Its the first lockup this system has had since I reconfigured AH for Win98 compatibility.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »
Well, I was reading through this thread and decided to give the beta an other round for some reason or an other. Anyways last time I did this I ended up basically killing my XP setup. So I wanted to know if there is a way to dual-boot W7 and XP. I have two HDDs but even though each OS had an HDD W7 basically took over and I wasn't able to boot into XP. Using 64-bit versions for both.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 11:08:47 PM »
I'll wait until Skuzzy gives W7 a shot. Otherwise I'm sticking to XP.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
I may wait until W8.  :D

The economy sucks and you never know it might finally be time for some emerging country to raise a fledgling OS company. Ha!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »
Well, I was reading through this thread and decided to give the beta an other round for some reason or an other. Anyways last time I did this I ended up basically killing my XP setup. So I wanted to know if there is a way to dual-boot W7 and XP. I have two HDDs but even though each OS had an HDD W7 basically took over and I wasn't able to boot into XP. Using 64-bit versions for both.

Windows 7 will leave your XP (and Vista) installation alone if you create a second partition on your single hard drive, or use another hard drive, and then you boot from the W7 installation CD and select the non-XP partition or drive (In other words, don't run the W7 installer from Windows directly. In other news, W7 isn't able to do an upgrade to XP, just Vista). It will install a Vista-like boot menu that will let you select from your installed OSes.

My notebook currently has DOS (no joke), XP, Vista, W7, and Ubuntu (running via Wubi), and all the boot menus get along just fine. I'm not exactly sure where the Grub boot menu would fit into all this, but Ubuntu via Wubi uses XP's boot menu to THEN launch Grub.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »
I hear that the more OS's you can boot, the more chicks dig you...

:D
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 03:39:39 AM »
I hear that the more OS's you can boot, the more chicks dig you...

:D

I can boot all the os'es in the world but I wouldn't want to stuff them all in one notebook.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
Been using Windows 7(64-bit) for a few days now and I have to admit this time around is a lot more pleasing then last time(most likely my fault). From what I've seen this is basically how Vista was supposed to be when it got used. When I first installed W7, right after the first boot I went to task manager 38 processes, 25% of memory used(1GB). Not horrible, IMO and I can deal with it. Now that I've installed all my programs and have drivers, avast, etc running in the background it's more like 46 and 30% memory used. The worst part of W7 is the memory footprint but it was inevitable, it increases with every OS and I never really expected it to stay on par with XP. As far as using this OS as a gaming OS is completely possible. Even running Crysis Warhead I was getting very similar FR to when I play it on my XP Boot(around 30FR avg. for both). AH is still no challenge and comp keeps it at a steady 60FR with with 16xQ AA and 16x AsF. Red Alert 3 stayed at a solid 30FR(it won't go over that, something with how all the C&C games are) and my lowest drop was to 25 after me and a friend built a giant hoard of units that you would almost never see in a casual game SP or MP. Overall a solid OS and when it's released I think I'll finally be ready to make the jump to the newest OS. Granted I'll still be keeping XP on an other boot but W7 will become my new universal OS. Overall with 64-bit the memory req. seems fine, since if your using 64-bit theres a good chance you have 4GB or more of memory, I would post min. at 3GB if your going to be gaming on it. Thats my 2-cents anyway, being a die-hard XP fan Windows finally made something that can appease me and get me to switch, and since it's still in development we can only hope it gets better.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
Been using Windows 7(64-bit) for a few days now ...

Glad to hear you're getting a good experience on W7 (me too).

FWIW al the games below work  like a charm on the new O/S too.