Author Topic: Warping- an end too it maybe?  (Read 172 times)

Sorrow[S=A]

Warping- an end too it maybe?
« on: November 21, 1999, 12:34:00 AM »
Ok it's never REALLY going to end but this is an idea that might change how we deal with it.

I have seen and heard Sooo many complaints about warping. It seems that the standard idea is that a server should "never" do this. But I know as long as packet loss is on the internet it will happen.

Thus

I propose a news solution for warping. The problem with warping is that the server is "predicting" the path of the plane when it recieves late or no input. If Hitech put in code that made the icon "blink" when the server is predicting we would KNOW when that little rat is about to flash away. I mean the worst warps are long ones where they have been predicting for a second or 2.

This way we might not end warping but pilots could finally know when it's going to happen and could deal and accept it.

What you think guys?

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

TT

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 1999, 10:58:00 PM »
 Ive had a problem with micowarps the last two versions. Ive asked online and nobody reported the same problem so it may well be my connex.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 1999, 01:20:00 AM »
I have not seen warps at all in AH if opponent has had good connection.
Only about one out of 20 opponents i meet, might have little warps, then 1 out of 70 might have big warps.

Only time I have seen little warps when enemy maneuvered to evade, has been when I had installed Win98 into my new puter and I didn't had changed MTU, like I had in P133.
I changed my MTU settings to 576 and no warps at all, also changed packet size to minimum from dial-up options (yes, i am not cable modem happy user ;( )

You can get program to set MTU from www.tucows.com  if intrested to try.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 1999, 06:18:00 PM »
Thats ok Fishu, I have ADSL, I never warp, much to my dismay when someone has me in their sights.
  This is more for those who are having warps and it is affecting those around them. I see some people having multiple micro-warps and some warping a full 1-2 seconds flight path away. Having someone move 4 inches from right to left on your moniter throws your pass right off and is annoying.
 But this way it would be more manageable. I mean the server KNOWS it's predicting and doesn't know where the con really is yet, why not give it a flag in the game packets to make the icon blink? That way we know as well. See an cons icon blink for 2 seconds get the fudge outta dodge!

------------------

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 1999, 07:16:00 AM »
I like this idea.  If the FE is in "total prediction mode" have it flag it some way.

GOOD IDEA !!!  

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 1999, 09:11:00 AM »
I must say my conx has been very good from beginning. No warps here. A few dumps, but that's all.

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 1999, 04:25:00 PM »
<punt>

This idea need more and lots of visibility.

delta

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 1999, 02:02:00 PM »
janneh wrote:
"I must say my conx has been very good from beginning. No warps here. A few dumps, but that's all."

Doh! Recently I've had lots of warps  
Dunno why, also my friend jani has warps, he flies via same ISP as me...
It really makes gameplay somewhat lousy.
I think I have to tweak my MTU's or what the heck they was.

cu up there !

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 1999, 02:21:00 AM »
the only time someone warped that bothered me was when i was about 600 to 700 behind them, and then in a split second, was 600 to 700 infront of them and then under a chute, but i think i will survive.  Lets not get mad at others for warping, everybody want to play and just have fun, so be nice when you telling somebody that maybe they should log off and then back on. i have seen people be very rude about it, and im sure the person warping felt very bad. for those that have been rude about it, i wrote your names down, dont try that toejam with me, i can be nasty right back at you, and do a better job of it.

be nice to everybody, we just here to relax a little bit.

have fun all

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 1999, 03:24:00 PM »
Was on awhile ago.  Felt something wrong. Asked Country mates if I was warping.  They said yes.  So I landed and logged back on.  

If I feel I am warping I will land and log off.  There is no disgrace in doing this.  Staying in just may make more problems.

Have Fun!!!

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 1999, 06:38:00 PM »
Sorrow: "I Have ADSL" / "I never warp"..
sorry, have to disagree, only way to really make it sure you dont warp, would be to connected directly into the computer which runs the host  
ethernet.. blahblah.. things.. (i dont think they would let you go into that building  )
You may have ADSL and if some router between that and host bugs, *warp* ;I

Btw. big packet size can do warps, specially with those high bandwith connections...

I wish there would be a day when people knows that megagiga line isn't necessarily 100% warp proof in online gaming...  

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 1999, 08:16:00 PM »
Well nobody has ever yelled at me for it, that I know of. My connect is usually pretty good. AH doesn't allow any variable packet sizes that I know of, so the warps I would have are the same as anyone elses.

I still have had no report on what ppl think of a flag for planes flying in 100% server prediction. Upon further reflection one thing that could happen is just the "flag" part of the icon flashing, not the whole thing. If your fighting someone and his bishop, knight or rook starts blinking you have a darn good warning to blast him or get ready for him to engage warp drive...

------------------

Offline Tibbets

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 1999, 01:32:00 AM »
I like it Sorrow. Good idea. .

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 1999, 02:06:00 AM »