Author Topic: Man, there is nothing wrong with this game.  (Read 557 times)

Hans

Man, there is nothing wrong with this game.
« on: December 23, 2000, 06:32:00 AM »
I don't know what game you guys have been playing, but there isn't really much to complain about here.  I love this thing.

Personnally, I consider this game WarBirds 3.0 myself.

Granted, Pyro and Hitech had to start over from scratch instead of updating Warbirds 2.X (whatever version there was when they quit), so there was a period of time when Warbirds was alot better than Aces High.

Being forced to start over may have been a good thing.  You get to do it right, and get to radically change things that didn't quite work right.

Well, now that carrier groups are going back in, there is NOTHING that WarBirds can claim as being better, except perhaps price.

HiTech and Pyro have:
  • Better 3D graphics.  Particularily the tracer fire.  No more having to keep the 3D minor, because you also have to support old 2D graphics.
  • The zoom view....God I love that feature to death    

• Master/slave bomber gunnery.  Really, when was the last time you heard ANYBODY complain about otto?
  • Drop tanks and fuel restrictions.  Good call here.  I like the fact that there is a use for them.  An old WarBirds rule was never take 100% fuel, it will just slow you down.
  • Ground vehicles.  I love them.  I love tanks.  Granted the Ostwind has a firepower problem against buildings, but thats going to be fixed in 1.05 (bombs, buildings, and the Panzer-J's main gun are being upped to make 37mm and lower weapons take longer to destroy things).

It is a little light right now, even for a role as a secondary feature.  Add a few more vehicle types and some permanent smoke rounds (in the form of treelines), and you have a good army section going.

• Carriers and a Navy.  1.05 is now adding that.  And to boot we get to shell targets and run the AA guns.  And no Captain Numbnuts sailing around in the wrong direction.  Now thats alot better.

Good work.  Now that the Navy is here, plus the incentive perk plane system, Aces High is now going to be a game I play alot more often.

Ah, who am I kidding.  I just want to shoot those main gun turrets on the USS Baltimore.    

Hans.

P.S.  The ONLY thing else I can even think of that Aces High might add to improve it would be a more detailed in-game supply lines system.  Trains, trucks, and cargo ships.  We've got all the major points covered otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 12-23-2000).]

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2000, 07:30:00 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more Hans but to some people the glass is always half empty.

[This message has been edited by Torque (edited 12-23-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2000, 08:38:00 AM »
Hmmm, someone needs a refill?!

Right on Hans!  

-Westy

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2000, 09:39:00 AM »
This game would be infinitely better if it had the hellcat  .  

Hooligan

[This message has been edited by Hooligan (edited 12-23-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2000, 09:54:00 AM »
Even if the Glass is 92% full. There is still something wrong with the game. As far as I know this is the first time someone has stated AH is perfect. I dont think its perfect. I think the glass is 8 % empty.

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
Nice post!

There's always room for more planes though

Happy Holidays!
<S>IC

funked

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2000, 11:35:00 AM »
Even if they made it perfect, we would still whine.  

chisel

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2000, 11:44:00 AM »
You guys sure spend alot of time on this board, convincing yourselves how much better this sim is than Warbirds.  

PS: Merry X-mas Funked!  

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2000, 12:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by chisel:
You guys sure spend alot of time on this board, convincing yourselves how much better this sim is than Warbirds.  

PS: Merry X-mas Funked!  

WhAt is WarBirds?

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »

We've even considered making our own "neutral" flight sim publication then giving the "best on-line sim of the year" award to ourselves.

AKDejaVu

chisel

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2000, 12:59:00 PM »
Ahhhhh but....

If you made it it wouldnt be considered all that neutral by some people, now would it.

EDIT:

Just clicked in that you were Mocking Dogfighter.com   OK,OK I'm slow  

Go for it. Put as much effort into Reviews, Articals, Interviews etc. as the Dogfighter team does. I would really like to see it.

Really sucks when someone tells you the choice you made wasnt the best eh.

Chisel,

I'll only consider you 'open minded' if you agree with me.

[This message has been edited by chisel (edited 12-23-2000).]

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2000, 01:58:00 PM »
Almost every single design decision was accurate and in time. Those which were not good for gameplay were removed very fast. There is one thing which is often not seen behind graphix, music, and etc., -- it is design. And AH is perfectly designed, IMO.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »

Go for it. Put as much effort into Reviews, Articals, Interviews etc. as the Dogfighter team does. I would really like to see it.

And at the same time, our review site could receive revenue from the flight-sim site.

In the same way that dogfighter.com receives revenue from AGW on referrals  

Yup, that sounds fair  

------------------
=357th Pony Express=
Aces High Training Corps

Hans

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2000, 08:50:00 PM »
Hooligan, you mean like this?

Hans.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2000, 10:32:00 PM »
Someone say article? I already wrote one, it's sitting on my site right now with screenshots. Once 1.05 is out and the BIG bugs are patched, I'll write a new one for it. As long as I can play Aces High I will update/re-write an article for each version. If you want to mirror the article, let me know.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond