Author Topic: Fix the Wirble  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: Fix the Wirble
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2009, 01:00:44 PM »

The Flakvierling 38 has no feed tray. It's magazine fed. Once the 20-round magazine is empty, it's removed and a new one is inserted. As a single barrel fired at 480 rounds/minute, the magazine was empty after 2.5 seconds of continous fire. One loader had to reload 2 barrels each. So firing all four barrels at once (by pushing down both both pedals) meant a short stop after 2.5 seconds, during which the gunners had to insert two new magazines. Only then the gunner could continue firing.
If the gunner chose to fire only two barrels at once, the loaders were able to reaload the one currently not firing. Only that way continous sutained fire was possible.
And that's why you can read "practical rate of fire: 800 rnds/minute" in most data sheets. That's the constant ROF. The 1800 rounds/minute is the theoretical maximum ROF which can't be sustained.
Our AH2 Wirbel is shooting at a continous ROF of 1800 rds/min.

I did say 480 rpm earlier in the this post, of course this can fluctuate depending on loader variants and speed.  Your picture shows a larger crew than what would have been available in the ww which surely would slow down the loading speed with a two man mag crew vice a 4 man.  

Bronk, another epic attempt to sink the hook....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:07:20 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
I did say 480 rpm earlier in the this post, of course this can fluctuate depending on loader variants and speed.  Your picture shows a larger crew than what would have been available in the ww which surely would slow down the loading speed with a two man mag crew vice a 4 man.  
Great... longer reload times between quad firing. :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2009, 01:09:02 PM »
Great... longer reload times between quad firing. :aok

Im for it, as long as they increase the range respectively.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
I'll say this tho. If anything tanks are even more gamey then WWs but nobody is calling for them to be porked. How come?

Once again asking for accuracy is not asking for something to be porked. 

The thing that really gets me is the comments I've seen on just perking it, or dropping the ENY and leaving it as as.  By using that logic maybe we should be able to buy extra speed and turning performance in the hangar before we take up a plane?
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
Ammo counters, etc.

If the plane didn't have it get rid of them, too.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
Not about perking it, not about ammo counters.

-Lower ENY (?)
-Lower turret traverse speed (People have shown this to be the most valid change needed, it should be done.)
-Disallow continuous fire of all 4 guns (It could not fire all 4 at the same time and keep a constant rate of fire, period.)
-incorporate 20 round clips (Probably not doable.)

It should be this simple people. :rock
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »
Not about perking it, not about ammo counters.

-Lower ENY (?)
-Lower turret traverse speed (People have shown this to be the most valid change needed, it should be done.)
-Disallow continuous fire of all 4 guns (It could not fire all 4 at the same time and keep a constant rate of fire, period.)

It should be this simple people. :rock

Gawd, at least a few people are on terms with me. What if the 20 round clip consisted of a 1 or 2 second pause every 20 rounds?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
-Lower ENY (?)
-Increase Maximum Effective Range (doable)

:aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2009, 04:26:13 PM »
OMG, would you guys quit cryin already!!!

Their gunfire is easy to dodge, and their turrets are
fragile, and a 250lb bomb can kill them...

Geez, what do ya want...
GVs to be sittin ducks for any fighter again? Right???

God forbid ya fly close to the ground and a flak kills ya...
OMG, that NEVER happened in reality, huh???

WWWaaaahhhhh Booooooo!!!!

I will tower you a minimum of 3 times out of 5.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
Unlike the Ostie you can bomb a WIRB easily without ever getting into his range.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
Ever think about this?  The wirble would be almost useless if bombers would fly at a higher alt and fighters stop dive bombing.  I don't think it's a solution but if you think about it it's true. 

When dive bombing wirbels with the A20 I have already released my bomb and pulling out of dive BEFORE I see the icon.  Sometimes I get hit but rarely hard enough to put me down.

Anyway the smart vulchers start to RTB a few min's after the VH stops smoking.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »
stroker - VH was dead, Rooks couldn't kill a couple Flaks.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
I will tower you a minimum of 3 times out of 5.   

Could very well be so...
I run about 50/50 average...

Sometimes I rack'em up like tenpins, and
other times I'm swatted like a fly, LOL!!!

I like the matchup tho.. Kinda like the
Old west 6gun showdown at high noon...

What I really hate tho, are the tower
weenies!!! That park on pavement, so
they get a free shot at ya, MISS, then
tower, to avoid the bombs fallin on em...
Like a child, afraid to take their medicine..

If the Wirby is castrated, it'll get alot
easier tho.. See ya round, crater bait..  ;)

:salute Mash
RC

PS. Y'all know who you are... weenies!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:15:47 PM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »
Well now, that's interesting... How can you reload a nose mounted cannon in an aircraft?  :confused:

The rounds exit the nose, but the guns lie flat inside the rear cockpit. I thought these particular guns were modified to be belt fed, however. Schrage Muzik guns were drum-fed, but I don't recall ever seeing the belly guns with drums on them, ever.

Offline Coogan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »
   Let the cannons over-heat or something maybe.  I don't know about the 20 rnd clip deal.  Even though, I get shot down a lot with them, I like them.  I guess I have the choice whether or not to put myself into the position as to where one may ruin my day. 
   There's another side to that coin too.  That WW might have launched from another base, and spawn point.  Then he has to drive all that way to shoot you down, if he can.  Might have be about 15-20 miles, but it's still a good hike.  Then some knuckle head sees him, and decides to rtb and grab an A-20 or an IL, is that fair.

Take the good with bad man, and play the game.

Coogan