Author Topic: Work in progress "Green 5" 109G6  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Work in progress "Green 5" 109G6
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »
I can't change the color and make it white right? :D , well, i'll leave it blank then. Btw, any help for the skin in the current phase? Except weathering and other things i know i need to fix.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »
Das hakenkreuz ist Verboten !!

The "other" swastikas that you have seen are Finnish (which I believe are still in use, today).  They are blue on  white background, rotated the opposite direction, and have a totally different connotation.

Putting a different one in the same place will not fly, as the skin must be historically accurate (something you are required to provide proof of, by the way)

Leave it blank.

As far as the skin goes....

Still very "shiny".  Play with the material settings (the text file).

Let's see some cockpit views.  I can't make out any panel lines or rivet lines (or any other details for that matter)

The crosses are very bright and way too new looking. (think of the daily rigors, and environmental conditions that a wartime aircraft would be subject to in all aspects of skinning... scratches where hatches are being opened all of the time, ground crew with greasy hands touching thins, an sirty feet walking on th wings, scuffing the paint, etc)

Other than that, you seem to be making good progress   :aok

It's a long road
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:40:22 PM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »
The "other" swastikas that you have seen are Finnish (which I believe are still in use, today).  They are blue on  white background, rotated the opposite direction, and have a totally different connotation.
Nope, the FAF has changed their roundel to a more PC trio of rings, white on the outside then blue and then white in the center.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:42:08 PM by Motherland »

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
Nope, the FAF has changed their roundel to a more PC trio of rings, white on the outside then blue and white in the center.

Fixed   :aok

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »
I know everything is new, the numbers, etc, that i will do tomorrow morning. As for the panel lines and rivets, it's the photos on the photobucket that don't show them, they are visible in the game. I will make the rivets a little more visible. I don't know how to "play" with the material file/files. What does that do? Maybe you can show me a "before/after" sort of thing. Got it with the swastika, will leave it blank. The skin itself it's simple, a black paint, green numbers, white crosses, and usual decals (that i forgot to put  :D ). I will put pics from the cockpit tomorrow morning, i prefer working on it until i go to sleep. Thank's for the advice.

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
Since your skin is so dark to begin with, try making a 1 pixel drop shadow (on a new layer) next to your original panel lines.

Soften or blur it (just a bit) and turn down the opacity til you start to see the panels start to look like each one is separate.

I like to soften the edges of almost everything as, in real life, no paint would have sharp lines after hours of flying.

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »
Took a printscreen from my workspace. Is this it?

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
Try the drop shadow.  Do it for the rivets, also.  it wall add some "depth" to the places where the panels meet and some "height" to the rivets.

After all, this is a 3-D world we are in   :D

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Those half circles are ventilation ports for the spark plugs. They stick up out of the cowling, even though they aren't modeled in 3D in game. Most people add 3D effects to them.

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »
Ty VonMessa. Motherland, should i remove them?

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2009, 03:49:03 PM »
No. Wait a second, I'll post an example of what I've done to them as well.

Note that there's also a vent beneath the windscreen. This is present on the right side on all 109 models F and later, and on the left side in some G2's, most G4's, and all models G6 and later.

Basically, I brushed some black airbrush up past the bottom most area of the port, and then white on the top portion, to create a 3D effect.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:56:11 PM by Motherland »

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
wait....i'm.......i'm seeing something......i want it! :D How did u make that "Vorsicht beim Offnen, Kuhler ist im Haubenleil eingebaul" decal so clear?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:01:22 PM by Klauss »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »
Just looks that way because of the distance :D

Just typed it in, just like that completely unreadable wing marking that's close to the camera :uhoh
Good thing it's unreadable though (the wing marking that is), I couldn't read it on the decal sheet so it probably doesn't make any sense (I just fudged the characters I couldn't make out :D )

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »
Hmm...that engine decal i too clear, my letters are 3-4 pixels MAX. I will try and do one myself ( the engine decal ). I'm sorry that the wiring on the wing is blury. I think it says "Nur hier Betreten!" -  Step here only!. Can you please send me the PSD fie containing only the engine decal? I think my writing will look good till i scale it down to put it on my skin. :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:27:02 PM by Klauss »