Author Topic: Task Manager  (Read 537 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Task Manager
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »
Some how I have disabled my Task Manager, you know the thing you get when you hit Control Alt Del.  I get a box that says the administrator has turned if off.  Well I'm the administrator and I don't remember turning it off.  I went to the local setting and all I can find is the Task Scheduler and it and its dependent service and they are both turned on.

Any suggestions?

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
Re: Task Manager
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44:50 AM »
Trojans can turn it off. You might want to do a thorough check of your system. That damn anitvirus2009 thing will do it.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »
Spybot Search & Destroy will always check that setting in a scan and will re-enable it if disabled.

Here's the link, I suggest you run a scan:

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?tag=mncol
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
Wasn't the antivirus2009, but it was a trojan.  Ran the spybot and it fixed the problem. 

:salute to Buzzard and Denholm

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline lazydog

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »
wouldn't system restore help?

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
Wasn't the antivirus2009, but it was a trojan.  Ran the spybot and it fixed the problem. 

Fred

WTG on finding the problem  Nice to see some advice that works well

KAM

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »

Fred
Glad to hear you're back in the game. And to keep it that way you might consider investing in an AV machine. I (naturally) highly recommend ESET's NOD32 Antivirus.

www.eset.com

Give the trial a shot, it's a great program that is simple to disable so you can play Aces High.
FlameThink.com

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »
NOD32 is great, seemed flawless till recently it failed to recognize (in a deep scan of all drives and memory) a W32.crypto virus infection on my pc.  Only when the virus had spread and tried to access the internet and when the apps it had infected (notepad, opera, and other common apps) tried to run did it detect it.   Apparently this is a common problem, as it also gives false positives for legit cryptographic applications.

Here's a line you can type in the  "Run..." dialog (in the start menu) to restore task manager in a hurry though, if you ever need to.  I've used it before, but I don't know if restoring task manager is all it does, so you may want to wait till one of the pros on the forum replies that it's safe to use. 
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Use at your own risk..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:30:20 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »
System restore may also put back in place the little bugger that gave you the headache in the first place.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
Very true. NOD32 picked up viruses in my family's computer that were attempting to get into the System Volume Information folder. This is the same folder with system restore files, if I'm recalling this all correctly.
FlameThink.com