Author Topic: Computer rebuild  (Read 6012 times)

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
Re: Computer rebuild
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 09:36:53 PM »
you cant go wrong with an amd quad for transcoding and video editing.   =)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »
Can you repeat the question, I'm confused.  A lightscribe dvd rom will come with a driver/software disc.  is ther such thing as an OEM dvd drive?

Yes there is such a thing as an OEM DVD Drive.

If you have a lightscribe dvd rom and order it OEM it doesn't come with the related software right? Or does it need the software or will programs like itunes have that built in?

Sorry for the mild hijacking.

OEM will have no software that I know of.  However!  The software needed for Lightscribe is a download and not included in a Retail package anyways.  Lightscribe software is an optional thing and is easy to download/install, and does not require Itunes/Windows Media Player.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »
Can you repeat the question, I'm confused.  A lightscribe dvd rom will come with a driver/software disc.  is ther such thing as an OEM dvd drive?

Do you need software to use lightscribe? I think my DVD was OEM and no software came with it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51:38 PM »
My Retail Asus DVD-RW w/ lightscribe came with Nero 8 which had an older version of Lightscribe software with it.  Lightscribe software is free and is available here:
http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx?id=810
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
Yes there is such a thing as an OEM DVD Drive.

OEM will have no software that I know of.  However!  The software needed for Lightscribe is a download and not included in a Retail package anyways.  Lightscribe software is an optional thing and is easy to download/install, and does not require Itunes/Windows Media Player.

I think you are confusing cheaper bulk packaged and OEM licensed software. You can get bulk packaged hardware with retail pricing that come in a white box without any typical accessories and/or manuals. Then you can get cheaper OEM licensed software that are tied to a hardware purchase.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 12:00:50 AM »
I think you are confusing cheaper bulk packaged and OEM licensed software. You can get bulk packaged hardware with retail pricing that come in a white box without any typical accessories and/or manuals. Then you can get cheaper OEM licensed software that are tied to a hardware purchase.
I go mostly by what I have found through the years.  The last OEM (Was listed as OEM on Newegg) DVD drive we got had the drive and a cable and no CD.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »
My Retail Asus DVD-RW w/ lightscribe came with Nero 8 which had an older version of Lightscribe software with it.  Lightscribe software is free and is available here:
http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx?id=810

Thanks fulmar!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 09:52:47 AM »
I would not use Nero any longer.  Nero 6 was about as good as it got.  The later versions do some insidious things to your computer which can impact other applications that want to use your burners.  I made the mistake of installing Nero 9 and it screwed up my Premier Pro and Vegas Pro applications so badly I had to re-install the operating system.  Keep in mind, Nero does have a tool you can use to completely remove thier application.

Whenever you see a company having to create a tool to remove thier software, you can bet they are doing things they should not be doing (i.e. replacing system files).

Imgburn is a free burner tool which works better than any other commercial burner application I have ever used.  It is also very computer friendly.  I like it well enough I donate to the developer.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:55:07 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 10:16:17 AM »
I would not use Nero any longer.  Nero 6 was about as good as it got.  The later versions do some insidious things to your computer which can impact other applications that want to use your burners.  I made the mistake of installing Nero 9 and it screwed up my Premier Pro and Vegas Pro applications so badly I had to re-install the operating system.  Keep in mind, Nero does have a tool you can use to completely remove thier application.

Whenever you see a company having to create a tool to remove thier software, you can bet they are doing things they should not be doing (i.e. replacing system files).

Imgburn is a free burner tool which works better than any other commercial burner application I have ever used.  It is also very computer friendly.  I like it well enough I donate to the developer.
I threw the disk away before I threw the box away.  A +1 to ImgBurn, I found it a while ago and one of the best little burner programs I've ever used.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »
i use this thing. it's free too.

http://infrarecorder.org/

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »
i use this thing. it's free too.

http://infrarecorder.org/
I used infrarecorder for a while too, but IMO found ImgBurn to be better.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »
I used infrarecorder for a while too, but IMO found ImgBurn to be better.

Ditto.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
Thanks folks. Imgburn it is. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 08:20:29 AM »
Another question.  I was looking over the board and noticed 1 EIDE connection.  Customer has 1 hard drive, 1 CD, and 1 DVD.  Can any of the above be plugged into a SATA with an adapter?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 08:27:11 AM »
Another question.  I was looking over the board and noticed 1 EIDE connection.  Customer has 1 hard drive, 1 CD, and 1 DVD.  Can any of the above be plugged into a SATA with an adapter?

You could get an IDE expansion PCI card or a USB/IDE external enclosre.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.