Author Topic: Why a powered Hub?  (Read 997 times)

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
Why a powered Hub?
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »
Ok, I have my X-45, microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro and an Xbox360 Controller plugged into the on-board USB ports(on the back of the motherboard).
And I occasionally have 1 or 2 digital cameras connected as well...  I NEVER EVER have problems like people here say they have...
I never lose calibration on any controller..  Hell, I can use two or 3 at once if I want to..  Why do some people need powered hubs?
A powered hub is more or less a signal amplifier, is it not?  I'm concerned now because I will shortly be getting an X-52Pro along with pedals..
Sorry CH guys, don't feel like spending the kind of money required for top of the line gear..  :(  My X-45 has survived this long..  An X-52Pro must
survive at least as long as my X-45, no?  Anyhow, so, the powered USB hub..  Apparently not everyone needs them..  Would that be a good assumption?

I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Why a powered Hub?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »
Anyhow, so, the powered USB hub..  Apparently not everyone needs them..  Would that be a good assumption?

In many cases, people simply don't have enough power from their power supply to support their sticks, or the OS minimizes the power going to them (or even shuts it off) leaving them with a stick that jumps or loses calibration completely.

In my old computer, I had my 6 joysticks (2 throttles, stick, pedals, throttle quad, gamepad) hooked up directly to the motherboard or with a PCI/USB card and never had a problem. One day, I found a 7 port powered belkin hub for $16 on Newegg and bought it and I didn't see any changes in how the stick operated. Many knowledgeable guys like Homeboy and CH Reps will tell you that you need to run it through a hub, but my personal experience hasn't supported that.

The strange thing I noticed is that my home built dual throttle ran much better under Vista than under XP. I can't explain that one...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
Not sure but here's my guess. The X52 uses a lot of juice with all it's LEDs and liquid crystal screen. The stick is also wired in series with the throttle and doesn't plug into it's own USB port. I'm not sure what kind of current a USB input is supposed to support but things like digital cameras have their own internal power. Apparently the X52 is just wanting more juice than a single USB port want's to supply. It may also have to do with the long cord that runs from the computer to the throttle and then from the throttle to the stick. Maybe there is more resistance there than it can power through. The powered hub eliminates this.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »
In many cases, people simply don't have enough power from their power supply to support their sticks, or the OS minimizes the power going to them (or even shuts it off) leaving them with a stick that jumps or loses calibration completely.

In my old computer, I had my 6 joysticks (2 throttles, stick, pedals, throttle quad, gamepad) hooked up directly to the motherboard or with a PCI/USB card and never had a problem. One day, I found a 7 port powered belkin hub for $16 on Newegg and bought it and I didn't see any changes in how the stick operated. Many knowledgeable guys like Homeboy and CH Reps will tell you that you need to run it through a hub, but my personal experience hasn't supported that.

The strange thing I noticed is that my home built dual throttle ran much better under Vista than under XP. I can't explain that one...

It could be that factory built systems such as Dell, Compaq/HP, etc. have always used psu's that were barely enough to run the system alone..  I've built all my own systems with psu's that were well above what was ever standard..  Perhaps this is why I do not run into this issue..??  But seriously, how much power could a joystick even loaded with bells and whistles like an X-52/X-52Pro use?  The manual on my motherboard says the USB is 5 amps..  I looked up a couple powered hubs and they are 5 amps as well.. 
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 08:27:05 PM »
It is not the power supply of your system that matters.

It is how much power your are "DRAWING" through your IDE bus. Some bus's have powered fans, some have heat sinks. Over time if you over heat your bus it will start to fail and eventually fry your mother board.

The X52 pulls a lot of power.... WAYYYYY more than most other usb divices like a keyboard or ipod. No doubt you can probably run an x52 and 5 other devices off your motherboards usp power. But if you do your asking for trouble. At the very least you will get power spikes to your stick causing calibration problems.....and if you are getting that you are on your way to frying out your IDE bus.

GET A POWERED USB PORT !!!!!!!!!

It will ease power draw on your mother board and make things a lot easier on your system.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:13:50 AM »
Last year I was having issues with a CH Fighterstick, which turned out to be pot related (replaced free of charge). My discussion with CH tech support included a question from me asking if a powered hub was recommended. To my surprize, the tech said they don't recommend powered hubs with CH gear.  :rolleyes:

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:00:01 AM »
Here's why I needed a powered hub.

My powersupply and motherboard was sending voltage through the usb to power the joystick that wasn't staying constant.  This in turn caused the pots to get different readings for the same stick deflection.  Sometimes like Del said it would simply not send enough power to work at all.

The powered hub gives a good constant voltage for the X-52 to run on.  I highly recommend it.  They don't cost too terribly much and are handy if you use a lot of USB devices anyways.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »
Last year I was having issues with a CH Fighterstick, which turned out to be pot related (replaced free of charge). My discussion with CH tech support included a question from me asking if a powered hub was recommended. To my surprize, the tech said they don't recommend powered hubs with CH gear.  :rolleyes:

The CH tech that told you that was either trying to get you off the phone quick or had no idea what he is talking about.  Even during the time I worked there (when CH was developed and first released USB gear) we recommended customers use a power USB hub.  The reasons why was that some more lower end motherboards USB ports didn't output the industry standard of 5 volts for the ports and as others have mentioned, some customers didn't have a sufficient enough of a power supply to power all of their hardware and devices.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »
Ok, I have my X-45, microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro and an Xbox360 Controller plugged into the on-board USB ports(on the back of the motherboard).
And I occasionally have 1 or 2 digital cameras connected as well...  I NEVER EVER have problems like people here say they have...
I never lose calibration on any controller..  Hell, I can use two or 3 at once if I want to..  Why do some people need powered hubs?
A powered hub is more or less a signal amplifier, is it not?  I'm concerned now because I will shortly be getting an X-52Pro along with pedals..
Sorry CH guys, don't feel like spending the kind of money required for top of the line gear..  :(  My X-45 has survived this long..  An X-52Pro must
survive at least as long as my X-45, no?  Anyhow, so, the powered USB hub..  Apparently not everyone needs them..  Would that be a good assumption?

My X-52 Stick died after 6 months, I went to a CH Fighterstick.   I already had CH Pdeals.   Last night I got sick of using the slider on the X-52 throttle, for throottle.  I use the wheel on the Fighterstick.   I have now eliminated the X-52 from my system, I'll never recommend it (or Saitek) to a single person without being honest.   It's junk.   I went through 3 X-45's previously. 

I'll have the complete setup by Spring.    I suggest getting the Stick and programming the piss out of it like I did.   Buy them one at a time from Provantage or TilDeath's shop.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Coogan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »
   Woot!   Good luck with your X-52 pro.  I'm using X-52 Ps-28, with no issues.  I have considered getting a powered hub to run little things like the led's and such.  Plan on getting two more Gig's of memory, plus an 8600 GT.  I hope I have enough to push it, but i can't see spending $80.00 for a PSU.
   I understand that the PSU is a very important piece of equipment, however, I'm not running a whole lot of extra's.  If my PSU can't do it, then I'll just remove what I can until I can afford a good one.  Just trying prepare for the new water and terrain myself.

Coogan

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:00:53 PM »
Sorry I'm in the X52 has been flawless for 4 years now camp.  I see no reason to double my costs. I do allways build my own with ample power and I never let windows manage the power in control panel blah blah blah.  

Ack Ack, is it possible to compare the power consumption of the two?  CH Combat or Fighter stick, with pro Throttle and Pedals to an X52 setup with throttle and pedals, it might be interesting stuff.  If you know the CH amps maybe we can dig up the Saitek info.

PS Have never used a powered Hub on the CH or Saitek stuff that Ive had since 95ish
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »
Sorry I'm in the X52 has been flawless for 4 years now camp.  I see no reason to double my costs. I do allways build my own with ample power and I never let windows manage the power in control panel blah blah blah.  

Ack Ack, is it possible to compare the power consumption of the two?  CH Combat or Fighter stick, with pro Throttle and Pedals to an X52 setup with throttle and pedals, it might be interesting stuff.  If you know the CH amps maybe we can dig up the Saitek info.

PS Have never used a powered Hub on the CH or Saitek stuff that Ive had since 95ish

It's been over 10 years since I worked at CH so I don't recall off hand what the amps are but I'm sure you can readily find that particular information at CH-Hanger.  CH used to print that information on the little quick guide manual they included with each stick, not sure if they still do or if it's all digital on a CD that comes with each stick.

ack-ack

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:17:34 PM »
It's been over 10 years since I worked at CH so I don't recall off hand what the amps are but I'm sure you can readily find that particular information at CH-Hanger.  CH used to print that information on the little quick guide manual they included with each stick, not sure if they still do or if it's all digital on a CD that comes with each stick.

ack-ack

Thanks just thought that it might be another clue as to why some people have problems and others don't.  I'll check it out

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »
Another cause, though rare, is improper grounding of the power outlet.

ack-ack